Am I obsessed?

Options
Need opinions of some"like minded" people. My family & coworkers think I might be a wee bit obsessed with counting calories & working out. My daily calories are around 1200-1400 and I do sometimes eat back my work out calories (maybe 1-2 times a week) Since I started July 3rd I have not missed a work out day, it's mostly a 25-35 min run.Sometimes I add strenght conditioning or yoga @ night. On the weekend I sometimes add biking & swimming as I'm training for a spring duathalon. I ran a 5 miler yesterday so I decided t take today off as I'm a bit sore. Well a little while ago my husband went out for a while and I hoped on the treadmill for a 15 min walk (couldn't run as my quads are killing me!) So with all this said am I obsessed because I felt guilty and "snuck in" a work out?

Replies

• Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! Don't worry, my husband is supportive and my mom actually ended up joining and is the same way ;)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I made cupcakes for my kids, licked the spoon and went to count it before, also have logged 2 cheese balls. I don't think you're obsessed, just honest with yourself =)
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hahaha.... I am told that all the time. I guess there could be worse things to be obsessed about. Cardio has been mine, to the point that I need to cut that back and add strength training cause I have no muscle tone.

Hubby didn't much appreciate when I asked him to get a container out of recycling so I could log it correctly. Hahaha

Sounds like you are doing just fine, but a break here and there won't hurt your progress. How's your protein ?? With all that workout you'll need it..
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The clinical definition of obsession is "an anxiety disorder in which people have unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations (obsessions), or behaviors that make them feel driven to do something (compulsions).

Often the person carries out the behaviors to get rid of the obsessive thoughts, but this only provides temporary relief. Not performing the obsessive rituals can cause great anxiety."

One of its differential diagnostic criteria is that is interferes with work, social relationships, marital relationships, and basically wreaks havoc with your life. We all have things we are "OCD" (or as my husband says, "Monk-ish") about, but they are not a true problem until they become a problem. Like not going to work because of it, not having friendships, etc.

Sounds to me like you have developed a healthy habit, perhaps more of an addiction? =)
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    People who are stupid, that hear "counting calories" will instantly think you're annorexic or have a health problem, don't even worry about it =]
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You're serious about getting healthy and they aren't. You'll know if you're overdoing it. You'll hurt all the time and be tired all the time. Doesn't sound like what you're describing. You sound active and healthy! Keep at it and don't let them use the word 'obsessed' when they really are jealous of your "dedication!"
  • HeatherLaShae4
    HeatherLaShae4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    my co workers say the same thing but guess what? im losing weight n their still fat!
  • Arunakae
    Arunakae Posts: 83
    Options
    Don't worry. I'm the same way. Sometimes my friends give me funny looks, but working out makes me happy. It truly improves my mood and therefor my life, so I don't mind of others think I'm a wee bit obsessed, because I love it.
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    The best way to get into it is to be honest and log. That's how I lost at first. There's nothing wrong with that. You're dedicated.

So long as you aren't running yourself into the ground exercising (and it certainly doesn't seem like it at all) I don't think you're being unhealthy. I agree with an above comment where you could have a healthy addiction brewing, perhaps. But it's far from BAD.

So long as you do allow yourself cheat days here and there. :) Like when I had a cheesecake in my apartment (that I made) for over a week. I had to eventually have a piece!
  • sschmidt928
    sschmidt928 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    No, you're not obsessed. You're doing what you need to do to get where you want to be! I've recently been accused of being a workout junkie. I smiled and proudly said, "Yes, I am!" Next time someone makes the comment, just smile and own your results and your hard work.
  • nsmith6325
    Options
    Same way with me. What I am finding is that those who feel that way do so in an effort to make themselves feel better. Most likely they are not as fit or committed to a healthy lifestyle and have some guilt because of it and the project that onto you. Keep up the good work and as long as you give yourself ample time to recover and get plenty of sleep you are doing the right thing.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Well, your audience is MFP, so there may be a little bias here ;)

However, no, you simply sound like you're happily taking control of your health. God and family may come first for me, but that doesn't mean I come in last. I usually can always find time for a workout if I wanted, and enjoy the work that I am doing to say fit. I am so much happier ... and my family and other benefit from my happiness, added energy, and positive outlook. It's a win win ...

Blessings,
    ~Matt
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You're dedicated (you didn't mention the length of the du you're training for but even a sprint takes dedication.....)

Obsession - A word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated :laugh: :laugh: (urbandictionary.com)
  • Meraid
    Meraid Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same boat. I think my family and friends are a bit annoyed with how often I bring up calories or workouts. One of my friends who's on WW said she just doesn't bring it up and is just making it part of her life and I told her that obsessing about it makes it easier for me to commit. If I never think about it or talk about it or miss a day tracking I might stumble. Eventually it'll be second nature, cause I don't plan on making this a temporary interest. Just a lifelong one.
  • Dylex
    Dylex Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're obsessing.
    I think it takes usually takes a like-minded person to understand or, be less judgmental. One could say the same of a car fanatic?
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing the same thing for years from ppl who will not embrace this lifestyle and don't understand what it's like to be heavy like I once was. And i'm hardly anorexic...I'm a healthy 136lbs and I eat close to 2000 cals everyday and only work out once per day (right now i'm doing P90X and following the schedule for Classic) but unfortunately in "real life" I'm surrounded by family and co workers and even friends who don't share my love of working out. So now I'm 40, don't look it, and can run circles around the high schoolers on my bus lol.
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hahaha.... I am told that all the time. I guess there could be worse things to be obsessed about. Cardio has been mine, to the point that I need to cut that back and add strength training cause I have no muscle tone.

Hubby didn't much appreciate when I asked him to get a container out of recycling so I could log it correctly. Hahaha

Sounds like you are doing just fine, but a break here and there won't hurt your progress. How's your protein ?? With all that workout you'll need it..
    funny you asked about protein I'm always slightly over my daily requirement
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You're dedicated (you didn't mention the length of the du you're training for but even a sprint takes dedication.....)

Obsession - A word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated :laugh: :laugh: (urbandictionary.com)
    DU is 2 mile run 13.7 bike & 2 mile run I love your def of obsession I'm going to use that.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    There are worse things to be obsessed about! :happy:
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I think you are obsessed if your body needs to heal but you keep pushing it to its limit.