Replies

• imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    no. not at all, your obssessed when you cant stop or shut up about it.:huh:
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    no not obsessed...just trying to lose weight, im the same way. its easy to be like that when the pounds come off.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    My fiance thinks I'm a bit loopy with MFP, logging, planning, checking, blah blah blah. I don't say I blame him. I do have a running spreadsheet on what I am going to eat for every meal a week in advance. And I do make him get to work 30 minutes early before he is allowed in his office...so I can make pump class on Tuesday mornings!

LOL

Sometimes I have become a bit too obsessed and anxious using this site, but I think I have found a happy medium now.

I eat between 1600-2000 most week days. Some weekends can blow out a bit.

I burn between 400-800 calories 5-6 days a week.

I have been to the gym before work EVERY WEEK DAY THIS YEAR, the only days I have missed have been when traveling for work and one morning when I picked a friend up for work because she had no car.

I love my workouts, it's a healthy obsession for me! I find the food side of things a bit harder...but I am completely 100% honest with my diary...i don't cheat myself!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Whatever for that noise. Nobody ever says *kitten* when you start taking up bad habits, but if you start to eliminate them, people always have something to say. "Oh, you don't have to count calories/workout every day, live it up sometimes" or "Why did you quit cigarettes, you're going to die of something anyway" , "You used to be fun before you stopped getting drunk every weekend" or even, "why you think you be all better than us since you stopped mainlining heroin."

WHATEVER FOR THAT NOISE. When I was getting fatter by the day, not a single one of those people knocked on my door at 6am to get me up for a run. Not a single one of them smacked the 6th slice of pizza out of my hand before it hit my mouth. Nobody had anything to say when I went from 220, to 240, to 250, up to 280. And if they did, I wasn't listening. So if I didn't listen on the way up, why would I listen on the way down? If things are going well for you, don't listen to ANYBODY unless they are trying to help things go better.

Whatever. For. That. Noise.

This is so true! Best post ever! :drinker:
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Its called jealousy
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal to me.
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    If u need to loose weight, being obcessed with exercise and counting calories its great. Same goes if u have a job in which u have to stay fit ...

If u dont need to loose weigh being obcessed with this things is not good.Cos u could spend the same energy in another things that are more important, like having fun and relaxing ...

So obcession doesnt really have to be a negative thing, if it brings a positive outcome
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I feel very guilty to take a rest day from exercise. I made myself take a rest day yesterday because I hadnt had one in a few weeks. On the weekends, I usually try to get 2 workouts in a day.
    I don't think it is a good idea to have multiple workouts a day if your muscles are "killing" you.
    If you are that sore, take a rest day. You don't want to injure yourself and be laid up for weeks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Need opinions of some"like minded" people. My family & coworkers think I might be a wee bit obsessed with counting calories & working out. My daily calories are around 1200-1400 and I do sometimes eat back my work out calories (maybe 1-2 times a week) Since I started July 3rd I have not missed a work out day, it's mostly a 25-35 min run.Sometimes I add strenght conditioning or yoga @ night. On the weekend I sometimes add biking & swimming as I'm training for a spring duathalon. I ran a 5 miler yesterday so I decided t take today off as I'm a bit sore. Well a little while ago my husband went out for a while and I hoped on the treadmill for a 15 min walk (couldn't run as my quads are killing me!) So with all this said am I obsessed because I felt guilty and "snuck in" a work out?

whether you are obsessed or not rest is VERY important. you should rest 1 day per week, and you should eat your exercise calories back as well!

if you dont get sufficient rest you may well burn out before your duathalon next year.
  • spongebex
    spongebex Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Change can be difficult and take time for people to get used inc yourself I am sure. So I think that with time they will be able to accept it as the new healthier and happier version of you x
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    People in this world have run out of things to complain about. Is to bad to obsess about drugs, women, sex, *kitten*, and etc.

LOL about the *kitten*! That counts as cardio, right???

I am sure that tracking your calories and entering your info on MFP isn't taking hours and hours of your day. It's good info and can be helpful for understanding a plateau in the future. Your exercise doesn't sound like too much if it's only 35 minutes or so on some days. I find myself working out 7 days a week as well and will jump on the stationary bike at home for a few if I have a chance. I do worry about getting injured by doing so much as I have a 10 miler and a Half Marathon coming up, so I try to have days at the gym with strength training only to minimize that or make myself take a day off. Doesn't sound obsessed at all to me! But if you ARE obsessed, then so am I.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You're dedicated (you didn't mention the length of the du you're training for but even a sprint takes dedication.....)

Obsession - A word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated :laugh: :laugh: (urbandictionary.com)
    DU is 2 mile run 13.7 bike & 2 mile run I love your def of obsession I'm going to use that.

A bike ride followed immediately by a run........the first time you do it your legs feel a little like jello.
    Have you started doing bricks yet?
    I'm a newbie what's bricks?

A bike ride, followed immediately by a run. The first few times your legs are a bit wobbly.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    People look at what I am eating all the time and tease me about being too skinny. Why are counting you calories if you don't want to lose any more weight. Mind you I am 155lbs and 5'7" not too skinny.
    I eat a lot though especially since I am on maintenance. I eat between 1600 and 1800+ calories. I use to work out 5 times a week, but I am going to bring it down to four. Mind you I don't always count calorie burn when I coach my daughters soccer team and when I play basketball with the kids.
  • SydneyBristowe
    Options
    <snip>Well a little while ago my husband went out for a while and I hoped on the treadmill for a 15 min walk (couldn't run as my quads are killing me!) So with all this said am I obsessed because I felt guilty and "snuck in" a work out?

I'd say you're not obsessed. Obsessed would have been running despite the muscles needing to recover!
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I get told the same thing. I don't think it is obsessive, but then again, what do I know? lol since I hear it to, maybe I am. Oh well. I don't think it is unhealthy to want to workout daily or eat the correct amount of calories.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I AM TOO!! BUT,,,, it is important to do it for yourself and noone else, who cares what others think!, if you are happy and feel good, then keep doing it!,i stopped listening to others long ago!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    In my opinion,
    rest days=good
    feeling guilty about having a day off, and having to "sneak in" a workout = not good.

Mostly, I don't think you sound obsessed, I think you sound dedicated and committed. Be careful though, as there is a fine line. You may will see better results with at least 1 rest day a week, and with eating enough to fuel all that exercise. Especially given the fact that you're training for a specific event, give your body what it needs to perform at its best. :flowerforyou:
  • nowakkk
    nowakkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. My boyfriend will tell me all the time to enjoy myself. He doesn't understand, I am enjoying myself. If no one is going to support me I'd rather them just not say anything. I think what bothers him the most though is I obsessively will talk about what I ate. For example, if I had a bad day, I'll linger on it where I just need to learn to move on and make the next day a brand new day. No use in dwelling!

I'm learnin' as I go...
  • Mistila
    Mistila Posts: 38
    Options
    Then obsessed too but I c results and loving it!!! Now I may not count the spoon I lick off but I don't eat back all my workout calories either.
  • LNZimmer
    LNZimmer Posts: 94
    Options
    Obsession - A word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated :laugh: :laugh: (urbandictionary.com)

You know, I think that is a good way to put it! LOL