Running???

I hate running! Not so much the phyiscal act, I get through the initial pain in about 5 minutes; it is more because I get bored. I have tried listening to music, doesn't help, I just don't like running. I know that running will help take weight off, but I just can't seem to get motivated to do it. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, do you just suck it up? Or do you find other ways to get in cardio, such as HIIT workouts?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Where are you running? The treadmill is terribly boring, but if that's where you run, try watching movies while you run. If you're outside and it's still boring, there's an app called Zombies Run! that is quite fun.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Try running with zombies. I heard there are a lot of great zombie apps out there.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Run outside
    Do interesting things during your run like fartleks or just running until you get lost (love my iphone gps for this)
    Listen to audiobooks instead of music
    Have a reason to keep running i.e. sign up for a 5K
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    If you don't like running, then find some other kind of activity that does. Maybe you would prefer something like Zumba or Crossfit or cycling.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Don't run, do something else
  • How about running with a friend? I'm sure there are a few people around you who wouldn't mind getting into shape and just need some motivation :)
  • Do sprints in the gym or sprint up stairs. That way you don't have to "run" as long so you won't get bored. And sprints are much better for burning calories than long distance running anyway!
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 113 Member
    i felt the same way ... still dont love it, but found that reading my kindle and listening to music helps on the treadmill.. otherwise running outside might be hepful if you pick a park or somehwere scenic.... check back in with what you've decided and u progress. if that still doesntg help scrap running and like others recommended... ZUMBA, turbo JAM, dancing etc...
  • Lisame11
    Lisame11 Posts: 58 Member
    If you really don't like it, don't do it. Find something that you enjoy more. Maybe swimming, cycling, hill walking, aerobics? Or having a variety of things so they don't get stale.

I have just started jogging and I'm loving it. I love being outside, the countryside is lovely around here. Love the time to myself (as a mum that's something to treasure). I love listening to music, and can combine that with other things I like.

I try to use map my walk/run or something like that to plan different routes, or do them in the opposite direction. I am following the podcasts of couch to 5k, which give me a target, so I suppose its something to aim for.

But I have only just started jogging. Ask me again in 6 months! :tongue:
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    I always wanted to be a runner, but hated running. Once I committed to a goal and acheived it, I was hooked. That being said, if you hate it, find something else. No need to torture yourself!!
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Run outside
    Do interesting things during your run like fartleks or just running until you get lost (love my iphone gps for this)
    Listen to audiobooks instead of music
    Have a reason to keep running i.e. sign up for a 5K

^^great advice^^
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 342 Member
    If you don't like running, then find some other kind of activity that does. Maybe you would prefer something like Zumba or Crossfit or cycling.

This! If you do activities you don't enjoy, it's unlikely that you'll stick to it. On the other side of the coin, if you have your heart set on being a runner, then just keep at it. Some people never really learn to enjoy it, but they continue to do it for the benefits. But, it's best to find something that you enjoy. Good luck!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    I'm the same way! I forced myself and struggled through the Couch to 5k. I'm proud to say I finished it, and although I wanted to keep going (work on speed), I just couldn't. I definitely think out of all the exercises I have done, that running is the most beneficial for toning up all over. I knew that if I didn't stop running, I probably would have stopped working out all together. I think it's important to do something you enjoy so that you stay motivated. I was dreading working out on the days I had to run. So the moral of this story...find a work out plan that works for YOU! Something you enjoy. It does NOT have to be running. Good luck!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I used to hate running, too--I always said I would only run when chased. Unfortunately my body became accustomed to all of my other workouts and I was having a hard time losing weight. So I gave running a try, tolerated it at first, and have become seriously addicted to the satisfaction of the calorie burn reported by my HRM. I don't think I'll ever be a true long-distance runner, but I'm competing in 5k races and thinking about sprint triathlons...
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    ZOMBIES RUN

That's all.
  • KechiaG
    KechiaG Posts: 55
    I sucked it up. Now that I am starting to see faster results.....it's growing on me! LOL :drinker: Here's to running!!!
  • viasophia13
    viasophia13 Posts: 14 Member
    i have this 3-mile loop that i like to run...great scenery, so if you're running on the treadmill, it could be your problem...try finding a trail or place that you like! maybe if you do run on the treadmill, try putting it in front of the TV, so you can watch while you run, and you can easily get a 30-minute workout in. also, maybe you can try running with a friend? but you're right, the fat just melts off. last year, i lost probably a good 5-10 lbs from just running a mile everyday for 2 weeks. good luck!!(:
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    I run outside, which helps, and I also listen to books. That REALLY helps!
  • kasandra_m24
    kasandra_m24 Posts: 27 Member
    In March I decided it was time to get my butt moving, so I signed up for a 5K that was to take place in May. I started the C25K program the next day and in May completed my first 5K. 2 weeks later, I did another 5K, and 3 weeks after that one I did another. Summer got busy, but I kept running and last night I ran for a total of 60 min without stopping. I am signed up for a marathon relay in September (the last leg, running 4.2 miles) and in October I am signed up for a 10K. I find by having something to run for keeps me focused. There are times when I do get bored while on a longer run, but I crank the music up and keep moving. While it may be tough during the actual run, the feeling of accomplishment when I'm finished is what makes me look forward to the next time!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    If I don't like doing something, I don't do it. I find something else to do. Simple!