Weight Watchers--stuck in the middle...thoughts?

Options

Replies

• kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've been a WW member for years and came over to MFP to try to get a better handle on my macros, rather than relying on WW Points Plus. It's been an eye-opening experience for me.

I get 26 WW points along with the 49 weekly points and any exercise points I earn (usually 45+).

My 26 points would usually be from 1100-1200 calories. I was often eating about 15 grams of fat per day and maybe 40 grams of protein. None of this is enough for the amount/types of exercise I do and my desire to reduce some body fat% was really not moving.

I am tracking in both ways and it's quite variable - - - today I've eaten 1357 calories (so far) and that translates into 39 WW points! You really get "dinged" for some things in WW - - - 1% milk for example. It's 100 calories for a cup, but 3 WW points. Not that I would do this, but if I drank 15 cups of milk, it would be 1500 calories (a reasonable amount for a 50 year old woman), but it would be 45 WW points - - - well over most people daily+weekly+activity points for the day. OR, you can load up on things that have fiber added to them and throw in some 0 point fruits and end up with 1800 calories for 28 points.

I like WW and I think they do a good job of helping people lose weight and maintain the loss, but the current plan does not jibe well with my overly-analytical mind.

I disagree with a previous post that WW helps with nutrition and MFP does not. As long as you utilize all the options here, you can follow more macros and micros than with WW. I am currently monitoring my protein and fat intake (to make sure they're enough), as well as calories, carbs, and calcium. I switch out the calcium for sodium sometimes and watch that. I can't do those things with WW.

I think they're just different and they can enhance each other. I'm still tracking at WW, but I'm no longer concerned if I've eaten 18 points before 1 pm (which I usually do) - - - I'm going to eat every one of those weekly and activity points and be at around 1500-1700 calories a day and get in the protein and fat that I need.

Sorry this is kind of rambly, but I've been doing the double tracking for several weeks and it's still boggling my mind.
  • curvyvegan
    curvyvegan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've used WW online before...it sounds to me like you could have added in more calories by eating fruits or veggies, all 0 points, but would add nutrient-dense calories to your diet, not to mention fill you up. Also, those weekly flexpoints are meant to be used...it averages out to 7 additional points per day. You don't have to eat them all, but when I did it I usually ate 4 or 5 each day and tried to save some for a bigger splurge during the weekend.

I've been going back and forth about this. My favorite aspect of WW is the free veggies and fruits, and also the flexpoints. I like that if I've eaten my whole allotment for the day, I can still eat a banana if I'm feeling snack-y. It kind of forces your hand to make good choices. Then again...this is FREE...and WW isn't.
  • fitmek
    fitmek Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've been a WW member for years and came over to MFP to try to get a better handle on my macros, rather than relying on WW Points Plus. It's been an eye-opening experience for me.

I get 26 WW points along with the 49 weekly points and any exercise points I earn (usually 45+).

My 26 points would usually be from 1100-1200 calories. I was often eating about 15 grams of fat per day and maybe 40 grams of protein. None of this is enough for the amount/types of exercise I do and my desire to reduce some body fat% was really not moving.

I am tracking in both ways and it's quite variable - - - today I've eaten 1357 calories (so far) and that translates into 39 WW points! You really get "dinged" for some things in WW - - - 1% milk for example. It's 100 calories for a cup, but 3 WW points. Not that I would do this, but if I drank 15 cups of milk, it would be 1500 calories (a reasonable amount for a 50 year old woman), but it would be 45 WW points - - - well over most people daily+weekly+activity points for the day. OR, you can load up on things that have fiber added to them and throw in some 0 point fruits and end up with 1800 calories for 28 points.

I like WW and I think they do a good job of helping people lose weight and maintain the loss, but the current plan does not jibe well with my overly-analytical mind.

I disagree with a previous post that WW helps with nutrition and MFP does not. As long as you utilize all the options here, you can follow more macros and micros than with WW. I am currently monitoring my protein and fat intake (to make sure they're enough), as well as calories, carbs, and calcium. I switch out the calcium for sodium sometimes and watch that. I can't do those things with WW.

I think they're just different and they can enhance each other. I'm still tracking at WW, but I'm no longer concerned if I've eaten 18 points before 1 pm (which I usually do) - - - I'm going to eat every one of those weekly and activity points and be at around 1500-1700 calories a day and get in the protein and fat that I need.

Sorry this is kind of rambly, but I've been doing the double tracking for several weeks and it's still boggling my mind.

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. :)
    I guess I should not have posted my Friday calories/points as my example (because it was a "cheat day"), but I have been converting my calories to points for a week now and I consistantly go over. My body cannot function on less than 1300 calories (nor should it, since my BMR is 1364).
    I guess I put too much thought into what I eat, and I'm probably making this way too hard, but I love eating things like greek yogurt, almonds, string cheese, pistachios etc. Things that are "clean", but that apparently have a lot of points. In Bob Harper's new book, he tells you to eat things like hummus, greek yogurt, pistachios, almonds, eggs etc. to lose the weight. WW contradicts that I think. I don't want to have to live off sugar free jello and 100 calorie packs to fulfill my sweet tooth. I hate that packaged stuff. And...I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners.
    Generally, the only packaged food I eat is some Smart Ones or Lean Cuisines during the week for lunch, occasionally a SO breakfast meal. Other than that, it's fresh and not from a box.
    I'm not bashing WW or their plan, because I KNOW it works. I just wish there was a way I could still eat my normal "clean" foods/snacks and still stay around my point limit.
    --My big thing is getting enough fruits and veggies in. I admit that I do need to majorly work on that! :)
  • kjw1031
    Options

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about. :)
    I guess I should not have posted my Friday calories/points as my example (because it was a "cheat day"), but I have been converting my calories to points for a week now and I consistantly go over. My body cannot function on less than 1300 calories (nor should it, since my BMR is 1364).
    I guess I put too much thought into what I eat, and I'm probably making this way too hard, but I love eating things like greek yogurt, almonds, string cheese, pistachios etc. Things that are "clean", but that apparently have a lot of points. In Bob Harper's new book, he tells you to eat things like hummus, greek yogurt, pistachios, almonds, eggs etc. to lose the weight. WW contradicts that I think. I don't want to have to live off sugar free jello and 100 calorie packs to fulfill my sweet tooth. I hate that packaged stuff. And...I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners.
    Generally, the only packaged food I eat is some Smart Ones or Lean Cuisines during the week for lunch, occasionally a SO breakfast meal. Other than that, it's fresh and not from a box.
    I'm not bashing WW or their plan, because I KNOW it works. I just wish there was a way I could still eat my normal "clean" foods/snacks and still stay around my point limit.
    --My big thing is getting enough fruits and veggies in. I admit that I do need to majorly work on that! :)

I agree that many healthy foods are "pointy" and I have avoided them when doing WW until I saw my very low calorie count. I'm now eating things like nuts, avocado, and "real" cheese to increase my calories and fat and protein intake, but it does take every one of my daily, weekly, and activity points to achieve the macro goals I have set here on MFP. I have to change my mind about needing to stick to WW daily points along with a few of the weeklies. I would say that I generally feel better - - - less tired and my workouts are more strenuous, but it's too soon to tell any other differences in my desire to reduce body fat a little more.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I have had great success with WW in the past. Actually maintained my weight loss for about 10 years. Clearly I am struggling again now, but that is a whole other issue, and nothing to do with WW.

If you like the strict and structured points system I think it could be a great fit for you. Especially as they do have adjustments for and during pregnancy. You have to face someone each week, which helps keep you motivated.

It really does come down to the individual. I tried going back a few years ago now, and I couldn't stick with it. I was sick of counting points - but that was just me. I still really do believe in the program - but it has to fit you!

Remember that you can gain and use work out points in WW as well to increase your point allotment daily/weekly.

No matter what system you go with - you will have to watch your points/and or calories. That may mean re evaluating the foods you eat, and the brands can make all the difference.

Best of luck!
  • kmwrestle
    kmwrestle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    in your situation WW is trying to get you to cut back on the normal meal that you eat and eat more fruit and veggies....so if you had smaller portions at each meal and added fruits and veggies to each meal, you would increase your caloric total for the day and have enough points for dinner
  • fitmek
    Options
    in your situation WW is trying to get you to cut back on the normal meal that you eat and eat more fruit and veggies....so if you had smaller portions at each meal and added fruits and veggies to each meal, you would increase your caloric total for the day and have enough points for dinner

I def DO need to add in more fruits and veggies! For sure. That may make a small difference, but I'm not sure it would make all the difference in the world :)
  • fitmek
    Options
    Trying to lose weight is going to take a ton of effort and dedication, no matter what method you decide to use. Has nothing to do with Weight Watchers. It takes just as much effort as any other method.

I agree! It's a change, and a change takes a lot of effort!
  • fitmek
    Options
    Those of you on the WW plan, what are your go to snacks? Clean foods preferred....fruit and veggies included.
  • kjw1031
    Options
    Glass of milk, yogurt, cottage cheese

Mini Babybel Light or some other cheese

Fruit

Carrot sticks

Protein bar

tuna, turkey breast, ehicken breast

hard boiled or deviled eggs
  • fitmek
    Options
    What kind of protein bars do you like to use? A blog I follow suggested "Think Thin" bars. I bought a few the other night but haven't tried them yet. I like Zone bars, but they are high in calories....which I guess isn't the biggest concern on ww.
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You don't need Weight Watchers, no one does...

All my progress is from the help of this site, and my own will power~~
  • staceface519
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds on WW in 2 years. . . ONLY because i worked for them and ate their food ( it has so much fiber in it , it makes u pooh). . . . honestly. . MOST women who do WW gain the weight back and pay the 34.99 to rejoin. . . .

all i did was take a saucer plate (from under a tea cup) and learned portion control that way. . . . ive lost more weight quicker here at MFP. . . and not all the points from WW are correct. . . here you can calorie count. . . on WW theres more tendancies to go OVER your limit. . .

id stick with this and not do WW....

and depending on the plan your on with WW its for different body types and metabolism, so a snack or food for one person can add fat to another person. . . .
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    I have tried weight watchers soooo many times. The problem is the points. it is hard for me to translate the points into real life. I have lost quite a bit of weight but because of the points I gained alot of it back.. I wish it worked for me though because I have probably given hundred of dollars to the program!
  • KarenNancy
    KarenNancy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A long time ago I lost 45 pounds on ww I loved it but as others have said its not easy to shop for or go to eat at someone's house with... I personally like the real life aspect if mfp even though I'm newly committing to mfp...
  • mmachick2011
    mmachick2011 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my recorded weight loss through WW. THEN they changed the plan and the points for carb based foods went wayyy up and I was starving all the time. Yes, in theory, I would love to live on lean proteins and veggies/ fruits. BUT I know that is setting myself up to fail. There aren't enough points.

I gained weight on the new program. I started religiously working on my health through MFP and I started to drop weight again.

Just my two cents.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

One thing I REEEEAAALLLLY dislike about WW is all the fake food. The bars, the crackers, the fruit chews. Its just low cal junk food. Its also difficult to grocery shop on WW. You have to pull out that calculator too much.

This is the only thing about WW I do not like either. I'm generally (minus a smart ones meal here and there) not a fan of packaged food. I know you can plan your menus however you would like, but most of my friends that are on the program eat a ton of sugar free jello, 100 calorie packs of cookies and crackers, the special K crackers, --basically tons of processed foods to keep their points lower. I wish there was a way that other things like peanuts or almonds or guacomole would be a lower point value--clean foods, good fats, good proteins etc.

this ^^ totally agree with you! while on WW i ate only processed CRAP. anything healthy had too many points! granted, i was using the old system and i only was allowed 18 points (which was below 1200 cal some day, especially if you consider exercise because i didn't eat back exercise points) but i still let myself eat fruit for free. i did lose some weight, but never got to goal until MFP. since MFP i have been cooking (shocking if you know me!) and eating so much healthier. for me, MFP is 10 million times better.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    What kind of protein bars do you like to use? A blog I follow suggested "Think Thin" bars. I bought a few the other night but haven't tried them yet. I like Zone bars, but they are high in calories....which I guess isn't the biggest concern on ww.

mmm i think the zone bars are worth the extra calories! haha.. and they really don't have that much more than comparable bars - especially if you are talking about the ones that taste good. i've had lower calorie protein bars and they taste like chemicals and rubber.. blegh. i've not tried the think thin ones, yet, though.
  • jnj1013
    jnj1013 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm making the transition from WW to MFP right now and finding it very difficult to mentally use both programs. Starting to prefer MFP over WW, but I have noticed the weight coming off MUCH SLOWER where as on full time WW I would be consistently losing. I would tend to eat a ton more fruits on WW, but noticing how much of a sugar and carb intake I would get a daily basis, I started adding more protein since switching over to the MFP app and cutting back on the fruit.

Now it very well could be that since I'm almost to my goal it's definitely harder to lose the last 15 lbs, but now by using MFP I'm almost always going over my Weight Watchers points including all of my activity points that earn for that day. It's frustrating to see I'm eating healthy according to MFP's standards - staying under 1,200 net calories getting in my recommended macros and exercising, but I'm still 2 or 5 pts over my WW goal because I chose to eat a greek yogurt and almonds for a snack versus 2 cups of fruit which are zero points.

Could somebody please message me or add me as a friend and share their transition from WW to a full MFP user? Why did you decide to make the transition? Was it a struggle? Was it relatively easy to continue to lose? Why you prefer WW over MFP? Etc.

Thank you!

I'm doing the same actually. I lost 20 lbs on WW and then started using MFP and an HRM so I could figure out how many actual activity points I was earning (note, about 100 calories burned = 1 activity point by the way). At one point I decided to cancel and switch strictly to MFP but during the time before my WW membership ended I tracked both. I also found that if I eat to my calorie goal in MFP that I end up WAY over in WW points (I should point out that I count points for fruit & veggies, I use the old system to assign points values to fruit and always have). In the end it has been easier for me with WW and I have been more successful with this modified version of WW, the calorie goal for me in MFP is just too high - I wasn't losing any weight and at one point I started gaining, even though I didn't change my eating habits. In th end I think I'll continue to use both - WW because it's what works best for me (I'm on maintenance btw) and MFP because I want to see what my net calories are for the day as well and that's just not an option on WW. If they (WW) would change their tracking so you could input/track calories eaten and burned also I'd stop using MFP because it is, admittedly, a hassle to do both.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I tried WW and lost 40 pounds. I thought it was great for starting off, but I still didn't really "get it". I learned that if I wanted to eat nothing but cake one day and spend all my points on that, that's okay. I completely disagree with that now! In my experience, WW didn't teach me enough about nutrition, but mainly points. It was very hard for me to stay at my goal because I didn't eat many whole foods and I didn't exercise. I ate mostly low calorie foods and lots of frozen dinners :noway:
    My advice would be to save your money. Since you have less than 10 pounds to lose, you can get to your goal easier through diet and exercise with MFP. Good luck!