Does This Make Me a Bad MFPer?

Options
I have people on my FL, but I have never posted or commented in order to motivate them. I comment on general chit-chat or funny things, but not exercise logs or goals met or anything.

I guess I don't do it because that kind of motivation doesn't work on me. Not that it's not appreciated, but if I can't motivate myself, no amount of virtual strangers on the internet is going to get me moving.

This also means I'm mildly perplexed when someone new posts a "need friends and motivation" thread. I guess it seems odd since they already got far enough to get a MFP account and presumably start tracking what they eat and making other life changes. Is the validation of strangers on the internet the thing that really motivates them to get up and start moving?

Is it just me?

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Horrible. Be gone from my sight.
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    I have people on my FL, but I have never posted or commented in order to motivate them. I comment on general chit-chat or funny things, but not exercise logs or goals met or anything.

I guess I don't do it because that kind of motivation doesn't work on me. Not that it's not appreciated, but if I can't motivate myself, no amount of virtual strangers on the internet is going to get me moving.

This also means I'm mildly perplexed when someone new posts a "need friends and motivation" thread. I guess it seems odd since they already got far enough to get a MFP account and presumably start tracking what they eat and making other life changes. Is the validation of strangers on the internet the thing that really motivates them to get up and start moving?

Is it just me?

only if you would spit on them if you saw them in real life would you be a bad friend on MFP..

then again.. some deserve it..
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I have about 20 friends, and I regularly comment to about a handful of my friends. One of my friends is fairly close to my height and weight, and we have had similar years and stories for weight loss/fitness.

At first I was a little, uh, I don't really know what to say to you guys, but now I interact a little each day.

I've totally become that annoying "facebook status updater" type person though :(
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same way...I'm not a motivator. It's written in the fine print on my wall though. C'est La Vie!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    We are all differen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do what works for u!!!!!!!!!

RiYHv.gif
  • DarthCeltic
    DarthCeltic Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    We are all differen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do what works for u!!!!!!!!!

RiYHv.gif

i looked so good there.. i hate i put on weight..
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Who cares, you're cute. :flowerforyou:
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I never comment on food logs.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I like being invested in my MFP friends by knowing their individual goals and personalities. They seem to appreciate it. Quite honestly, I get as much out of it as they do. Plus, it allows for a good exchange of information and leads to interesting friendships.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    nope, it doesn't.... different things motivate different people.. some like to read, and some people do enough talking for everyone :tongue:
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I personally don't need tons of motivation from others either, I have always been a self-starter, but you must be sensitive to the needs of others. I support my friends on their workouts, NSV's etc, even if I personally don't require the same motivation. We can't expect everyone to be like ourselves. Everyone is in a different place in their journey emotionally and some people need a push to keep going. I do think some people are overly needy and are just crying for attention, but others genuinely need someone to show that they care as they prob don't have any real support in their daily lives.
  • MissyMissy18
    MissyMissy18 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Nope it's not just you! I'm terrible at commenting on exercise logs and what not, but that's just because that stuff doesn't motivate me either! I'm far more motivated when my MFP friends take a little time to get to know me a bit.. I feel more accountable towards folks I've had a conversation with than folks who post the arbritary "well done" 's and nothing more.
  • kylejh
    kylejh Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I try to comment on cardio activity (if it's legit - you'd never see me saying "way to go!" if someone posts they mowed the lawn or cleaned their house), and on weight loss, but never on the end of the day post. The idea of MFP is to be under your calorie goal, so I don't think people need to comment on that.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm an antisocial MFP'er. I had friends but I had to drop them because seeing what they ate, lost & exercised was making me overly critical of myself. Some might say just don't look but I'm way too much of a voyeur for that. :)
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    This site seems to take all kinds. Quiet types just looking to lose weight, attention *kitten* battling daily for validation in the "hottest" threads, and then people like me... observing these behaviors, appreciating the eye candy when it pops up, and thanking those who come up with truly creative things to make me laugh.

Game on.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    I never comment on food logs either but it helps me to talk to others about similar problems. To each his own though. I personally need all the help I can get.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Unless I have something relevant and interesting or unique to say, I keep quiet. That's not just on MFP though, that's just how I operate in life generally. For some reason, it bothers people more than I'd expect.
  • divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think it's about accountability. Being accountable to strangers you've never met and will likely never meet in person, you get the feeling of needing to move your rear but without the guilt associated with someone you know well. I love the little "you go girl" comments, personally. Every encouragement--no matter the source--is welcome.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I guess I am on MFP the way I am in real life...if I'm not motivated intrinsically, then extrinsic motivation won't do a whole lot of good. Encouragement is nice, but ultimately I have to help myself. I think sometimes the fact that I don't really comment on other people's stuff very often might make me seem aloof, but the fact of the matter is that I don't have a whole lot of time to do much besides log my own shizz and occasionally hit the forums. I read other people's updates and sometimes I'll comment, but not very often. I guess perhaps that might be taken as antisocial....if so, I'm sorry, it's not that I don't care! :ohwell:
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I thought that I didn't need the motivation or advice but have found it to be invaluable-especially when **** happens (and it always does) and you find your motivation start to flag.

Really supportive MFP "friends" check up on you and make you feel that your journey and success is as important to them as it is to you.