Anyone have a good Chili recipe?

DaniJeanine
DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
Looking for a healthy chili recipe...preferably ground turkey. Any good ones?

Replies

• elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Pumpkin Chili

http://marriedinmn.wordpress.com/2011/10/01/the-almost-perfect-fall-chili/

It's excellent. Ground turkey, cubed sweet potato, red pepper, onion, garlic, nummy spices and yes - PUMPKIN. For real, it's my favorite. It's got a good spicy flavor with a hint of sweetness from the pumpkin and sweet potatoes.

ETA - this recipe lists vegetable oil, but I always sub it for olive oil instead. Much better for you.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    I'm of no help to you but I love chili so need to keep an eye on this :) My boyfriend made me chili awhile back with turkey instead and it was really good, I'll get the recipe from him
  • nelsonab
    nelsonab Posts: 34 Member
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/crock-pot-3-bean-turkey-chili-3125-pts.html

This one is my new favorite. Love the variety of beans, but you could use one kind if you don't like them.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    BUMP!!! I need a good chili recipe too.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Skinny Taste has a great taco chili!
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    I do I do!

Here's the recipe and my modifications to it.

3 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil (I've used just 2 tablespoons and I don't use organic.)
    1 medium yellow onion, chopped (I've done a batch with a yellow onion and one with white. Both turned out great.)
    5 cloves garlic, chopped (I'm lazy so I use dried minced garlic.)
    1/2 - 1 teaspoon sea salt (to taste) (I don't add this and I'll explain why)
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/2 tsp dried cumin
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon tomato paste (I've used 3 Tbs in the most recent batches I’ve made. To me, it makes for a richer tomato taste)
    1 pound ground turkey
    1/2 cup organic chicken broth (I don't use organic broth. In fact, I just melt 1 chicken bouillon cube in 1/2 cup of hot water, with an additional 2 tsp of tomato chicken bouillon powder which is the reason I don't add sea salt. Adding the bouillon increases the sodium but I’m a salt lover so that’s why I do it.)
    1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, with their juice (I used diced tomatoes and I also double this, using 2 cans because I loba me some tomatoes.)
    1 (15 1/2-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (I double this as well.)
    Frozen organic sweet corn (optional) (I use 1 cup frozen corn)
    3 diced organic carrots (optional)

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, garlic, salt, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes more. Add the turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook until the meat loses its raw color, about 3 minutes. Add the brother and simmer until reduced by about half, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes—crushing them through your fingers into the skillet (I don’t have to crush them because I use diced tomatoes) along with their juices and the beans and the corn; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 10 minutes.

Ladle the chili into bowls (over brown rice, if using) and serve with the garnishes of your choice.

Enjoy!

I make this weekly. My batches usually make 9 1 cup servings and I serve it over 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup brown rice with a couple tablespoons of sour cream. It freezes well so if you want to double it, you can freeze part of it for later.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/crock-pot-3-bean-turkey-chili-3125-pts.html

This one is my new favorite. Love the variety of beans, but you could use one kind if you don't like them.

I've also made this one and can vouch for it - tastes great!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    I use garlic and jalepenos in mine, and add some black beans. :smile:
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    The recipe I used (and got from my mom) relies on Bush's beans. If you have them in your area, try this:

1-2# ground turkey or ground beef
    1 packet chili seasoning (hot or mild, your choice - any brand)
    2-3 cans Bush's chili beans - I usually go with 2 cans of the medium and 1 of the hot, but if you like a milder chili, use whatever combo sounds good.
    1 can dark red kidney beans (any brand)
    1 can chili-ready diced tomatoes (any brand)

Directions:
    Brown the meat, drain.
    Add everything else - don't drain the kidney beans; just open all of the cans and dump it all in.
    Simmer for 30 minutes or longer.

You can double or triple this as needed...it's pretty much foolproof and gets rave reviews every time. :)
  • This is my family's favorite (and I have very picky kids!) Crock Pot Taco Chili so YUMMY!!!!!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/11/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts.html
  • Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
    • 1 pound ground turkey
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 2 cups water
    • 1 (28 ounce) can canned crushed tomatoes
    • 1 (16 ounce) can canned kidney beans - drained, rinsed, and mashed
    • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
    • 2 tablespoons chili powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    Directions
    1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place turkey in the pot, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion, and cook until tender.
    2. Pour water into the pot. Mix in tomatoes, kidney beans, and garlic. Season chili powder, paprika, oregano, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes.
  • ericachristie85
    ericachristie85 Posts: 69 Member
    http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/monicas-dark-rich-vegetarian-chili/

Best Veggie Chili ever, not your usually veggie chilli. I eat meat but prefer this, the wine and cocoa really replace the meaty goodness of meat chili.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    We make SIMPLE chili...

1 pound ground beef OR turkey
    1 can pinto beans
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 TBS chili powder

Brown the beef, drain the grease (if any), and add everything else. Stir. You're done. We like to add cheese or rice or fritos sometimes, but its really up to you, and really good, and you cannot beat it for 4 ingredients. ;)

Hope you try it!!
  • I have this almost everyday for lunch....I actually use dry Great Northern Beans and boil them until soft. I freeze it in 1 cup servings and it is about 110 calories per cup.

Homemade Chili

1 pound extra lean ground turkey
    1 15 oz can of dices tomatoes (liquid included)
    1 15 oz can of red kidney beans – drained
    1 8 oz can Hunts tomato sauce
    ½ medium white onion, diced
    1 4 oz can green chilies (liquid included)
    2 Tablespoons chopped celery
    2 Tablespoons chili powder
    ½ Tablespoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    1 cup water

Brown ground meat over medium heat, breaking into small pieces. Add a dash of salt and pepper while cooking. Strain meat and rinse will under very hot water. This removes the bulk of the fat. Place meat in a crock pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined. Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.

Makes 9 – 1 cup servings
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Sweet potato enchilada chili - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/CHICKEN-ENCHILADA-CHILI-50119141

Add cut up sweet potato and peppers to taste. You can use ground turkey instead of the chicken. It's slightly spicy, not sweet at all, and I like to cut it with water or stock to make it more of a soup than a stew - kinda turns out like chicken tortilla soup.

YUMMY!
  • Since I just made a batch last weekend, I'll share my easy recipe:

1 can of tomato paste (large)
    1 can of dark kidney beans
    1 can of light kidney beans
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    1 can of Bush's Grillin' Beans - Black Bean Fiesta
    4 boneless skinless chicken tenderloins

Add all the cans into a crockpot, then grill the chicken. I and add tons of garlic, and a dash of salt and pepper. Then I shred the chicken with two forks and add that to the crockpot. The whole mix ends up around 2,000 calories and makes around 12 portions. Super simple and tasty.
  • ericachristie85
    ericachristie85 Posts: 69 Member
    http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/monicas-dark-rich-vegetarian-chili/

Best Veggie Chili ever, not your usually veggie chilli. I eat meat but prefer this, the wine and cocoa really replace the meaty goodness of meat chili.

The link isnt working (330cal per cup)

Prep Time: 30 min Serves: 7
    Cooking Time: 120 min Yield: 7 cups

Ingredients

2 cups Crimini Mushroons
    5 tbsp Butter
    1/2 medium Yellow Onion
    1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
    1 tbsp Chili Powder
    1/4 cup All-purpose Flour
    1 tsp Bacon Salt - Original
    2 cups Raw Yams
    1 cloves Garlic Clove
    2 cups Low Sodium Diced Tomatoes
    1 cup Low Sodium Black Beans
    1 cup Red Kidney Beans Low Sodium
    1/2 cup Pearl Barley
    1 tbsp Vegetable Base
    1 tbsp Cocoa (natural, Unsweetened)
    1 tsp Agave Nectar
    2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 cup Red Wine, Dry
    1/2 tsp Spices, Cayenne Pepper
    1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper

Directions

Put vegetable base in 3 cups water in a small pot on the stove on med heat and let it warm and dissolve while you do other things.
    Meanwhile, melt 3 tbsp butter in iron skillet and cook onions and mushrooms until caramelized.
    Add cumin, chili powder, and bacon salt and cook for 1 min.
    Add flour and cook for another couple minutes, stirring constantly.
    Add 1 cup of your vegetable broth, red wine, and cocoa powder to the skillet.
    Bring mixture to a gentle boil and then transfer to a crock pot.
    Add barley to the remaining 2 cups of vegetable broth and cook on med heat for about 30 min.
    Meanwhile, in your iron skillet (don't worry about washing it out between) melt remaining 2 Tbsp butter and cook yam and garlic until slightly soft, but not yet cooked through.
    Add your can of diced tomatoes to the skillet, bring to a boil, and then transfer to crock pot.
    Once barley has cooked for 30 min, add that and any broth still in the pot, along with beans, cayenne and ground black pepper, agave nectar, and cider vinegar directly into crock pot and cook on low for several hours, stirring occasionally.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/monicas-dark-rich-vegetarian-chili/#ixzz24Cl4fijR
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    This is what I usually do:

1 lb of uber-lean ground chicken, cooked up in a huge pot with a diced onion, a few minced cloves of garlic, and a spray of Pam.
    Then add a huge can of diced tomatoes, 3-4 cans of various beans (black, kidney, small white, etc.). \
    A TON of chopped veggies...usually 3-5 zucchini/squash, a bunch of carrots, celery, peppers.
    A small can of tomato paste. Maybe a small can of chicken broth, depending on what mood I'm in.
    The seasonings are the best part, though: I use a lot of cumin, some coriander, red pepper flakes, about a tbsp of Truvia, and the muddled juice of a full lime. It comes out a bit different each time, since I don't have the actual recipe written down, but it's always delicious. Simmer it down for as long as you can be patient, then chow.

Nomnomnomnomnom.
  • Try this one...we tried it once and it has become one of our weekly meals!

Ground Turkey Chili For People Who Hate Ground Turkey (We don't hate turkey...

http://www.food.com/recipe/ground-turkey-chili-for-people-who-hate-ground-turkey-79308
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Wick Fowlers 2-Alarm Chili. You can add whatever meat you want. Dress it up with black beans, kidney beans. Preferably serve it with chopped onions. You can make it as spicy hot or mild as you like. It is a simple as it gets to make chili.

http://www.amazon.com/Wick-Fowlers-2-Alarm-Chili-Kits/dp/B005HIYLIW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345572021&sr=8-4&keywords=wick+fowler's+2+alarm+chili

We buy it in our local grocery stores. I love this stuff!!