Lean Cusines ? yes or no?

Options
ok soo i know clearly it isent healthy to eat these on a regular basis but sometimes i cave and bring one for lunch or eat one from dinner...does anyone have any opinons on them?

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    As you stated, not the healthiest thing ever but eating one certainly won't harm you as long as you fit it into your macros.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If this is the worst thing you 'crave' then i would say you're pretty lucky. I'm not exactly sure, but I think you just need to watch out for the sodium in these things.
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i keep a few in the freezer at work for the occasion that i forgot my normal lunch at home, or didn't get to cook and bring lunch. Working in Times Square in NYC, there are literally hundreds of MUCH worse food options outside the office... I don't think it'll derail my health goals by having them every once in a while.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have them occationally for lunch! They do have quite a bit of salt in them so I try to only have 1 per week if I do have them. Just drink lots of water when you do have them :)
  • Krystal7786
    Krystal7786 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    yummy- yes bad- not really, they are for the most part a healthy choice minus the salt, watch ur salt intake for the rest of the day and drink a lot of water. it wont bother you :)
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i keep a few in the freezer at work for the occasion that i forgot my normal lunch at home, or didn't get to cook and bring lunch. Working in Times Square in NYC, there are literally hundreds of MUCH worse food options outside the office... I don't think it'll derail my health goals by having them every once in a while.

Ditto! But they do tend to be high in sodium.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    only in an extreme emergency...
  • bella24xo
    bella24xo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    thank u guys for ur opinons..my next question...whatt do u all bring for lunch in the office ? lol i need some ideas!
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    As much as I want to get away from the packaged foods ... it's so inexpensive and convenient. I eat one every day for lunch. It just works with my lifestyle and it's low calorie and portion control. I know it's not the healthiest thing but sure beats the fast food lunches I used to eat.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I happen to have a fridge that only a few of us use. So I'll wash up and cut up fruits and vegetables for the week. I bring them in on Monday for the whole week. Also leave olive oil and balsamic in fridge with romaine lettuce(for week).
  • stepher80
    stepher80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like to mix up my lunches with Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones (the weight watchers meals). I didn't realize they were considered "unhealthy". I do watch my sodium and stay within my macros but I eat one of these every day for lunch. It's so much easier to take that then try to make my lunch everyday and get the kids out the door and all that. I think, like someone else said, that if this is your worst "craving", then you're pretty lucky!
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Last week I made tuna salad and ate it on La Torilla 50 cal wraps with either arugula or diced cucumber. Tuna salad itself makes 5 servings for 89 cal each, 324mg sodium

Bumble Bee Chunk Light Tuna In Water - 280g 250
    Gulden's - Spicy Brown Mustard., 6 tsp 30
    Aldi - Fit and Active Light Mayo, 3 tbsp 105
    Earthbound Farm Organic - Celery Stalk, 2 stalk 12
    Onion - Green Onion, Fresh, Raw, 1 stalk 3
    Compliments - Red Wine Vinegar, 3 tablespoon 0
    Vegetable - Red Onion - Chopped, 0.33 cup 45
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I cook for the week on sundays, and lug a ton of food to work every monday for the week.

Breakfast- i make mini egg/eggwhite/veggie/turkey/cheese things in muffin tins and have 2 for breakfast. the batch makes about 6 or 7 servings.

Lunch - chicken, brussel sprouts, and another side. Using a grill pan in my oven, I make about 1 - 2 lbs of chicken on sundays. I sautee brussel sprouts wtih garlic, black pepper, and lemon herb seasonings. this week i pureed 3 heads of caulflower with 1% buttermilk and some butter (faux mashed potato). I package each meal into containers as soon as i'm done cooking.

Snacks - plain greek yougurt with blueberries and mango, celery with peanut butter, hardboiled egg whites, corn/cherry tomato/avocado summer salad (my nutritionist says i need more carbs/fat in my diet)

YES, i pack ALL of this with me every week - it's a lot, but i like knowing i have so many options at work and it helps me make good decisions, because it's just too easy to make bad ones!
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I pretty lived on that stuff the first two months that I started training...I managed to drop 25lbs (before I got turned onto MFP). Lately, I've found that I don't lose quite as much when I consume more than 3-4 of these meals a week.
  • Ls_505
    Ls_505 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i didn't realize they weren't good for you. i've been buying those and the smart choice for lunch because they're so cheap and convenient i'm also not tempted to get fast food on my break.

I've also been taking hummus with carrots and salads to work.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    They may not be the healthiest of choices, but they are not unhealthy either. I know several healthy thin people in my office that eat them almost every day.

Some are better than others, but my problem is that the portion sizes are so small I am hungry an hour later and they don't taste as good as anything I prepare. For the same calories I can make myself a bigger, tastier and more nutritious meal.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    They may not be the healthiest of choices, but they are not unhealthy either. I know several healthy thin people in my office that eat them almost every day.

Some are better than others, but my problem is that the portion sizes are so small I am hungry an hour later and they don't taste as good as anything I prepare. For the same calories I can make myself a bigger, tastier and more nutritious meal.
    THIS.

I eat them pretty much everyday- not as every meal- but at least for lunch at work... as long as you watch your sodium you'll be fine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Re: small portions .... I usually add extra veggies to mine. This makes the portion size pretty magageable.

Yes, I "can" make something more nutritious ... but I don't always have time, or always have leftovers.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Add food to it, and you'll be fine. It is a tiny amount of food for what they charge, and usually less than 200 calories. And usually you have to add salt to them and a starch.

OK...ETA: I just went back and read the other responses and saw many saying they are high in sodium? Why do I have to add salt every time if they have so much salt in them? To me the Lean Cuisine and the Healthy Choice are the *WORST* for tasting bland.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Blech! I don't care for them, but that's just my tastebuds talkin'... I haven't found a flavor I liked so I gave up on those a long time ago... I would rather just pack a tuna salad sandwich.