Fish for beginners :)

Options
2»

Replies

• sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    thanks all. I will be adding fish to this weeks menu. Wish us luck :)

PS, anyone know about shellfish allergies? Do I just need to steer away from shrimp/lobster/crab etc? Are there any fish that can be bad for the allergies that I wouldn't recognize as shellfish? I don't want to kill my husband :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm going with Tilapia too.

And Salmon. I mix together honey and dijon mustard and use it as a glaze on the top. Put it skin side down on tin foil lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 (single portion) for 8-10 and broil for 3. Slide the spatula in between the meat and the skin and the filet should come right off (because the skin will stick to the foil). No skin = no ick factor for kids.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    bump
  • drsdghtr
    drsdghtr Posts: 27
    Options
    I like fish that doesn't smell or tast like fish.... LOL..... I love halibut but it can be pricey and sometimes hard to find in the midwest. My second choice is haddock. With either one I love to put it on a cookie sheet and cover it with butter buds, lemon pepper seasoning and bit of garlic powder. Bake it on about 380 until it's fully cooked but not overcooked. I also make steamed brocolli with roughly the same seasonings and eat them together, it's awesome! Scallops aren't too fishy either.
  • SBlost
    SBlost Posts: 90
    Options
    If you have Target around your place, I buy the Market Pantry frozen swai. They are a good size and 100 cals for one serving. I just put them in a non stick pan and season with a little lemon pepper. Thats it.
    Good luck!!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is good but definitely not the best. It's a very thin, bland fish.

I would highly suggest buying some fresh WILD caught cod. I pay $6.99 a pound where I go so it's not too bad. Don't ever do farm raised though!

Grouper is also AMAZINGGGGG but far from cheap. More like $16 a pound but god, it's good.

Overall: Buy some cod, throw some black pepper on it and toss it in the oven for 16 minutes at 375. Get some lemon/lime juice and enjoy. :)
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any white fish will do. (Catfish, swai, tilapia, flounder)

My kids love this: spray (or lightly oil) baking dish , lay fillets flat in dish, then spread 1 tbsp of lite mayo on top of each. Then cover with breadcrumbs (panko work best, but regular is okay too), and spray breadcrumb layer lightly with PAM . Bake for 20-25 minutes.