Overeating On Protein and Fiber

Options
2»

Replies

• lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    My doctor cautioned me about eating too much protein due to my liver disease, but even healthy people can consume too much protein.
    Same for me. There is such a thing as too much protein.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    On some days, I overeat on protein and fiber. I sometimes will also go over my calorie limit, but I mostly eat fruits and fiber rich food. Will this cause me to gain weight or is it okay because it's ultimately healthy food?

While it's good food you're over eating with...excess calories will make you gain weight. Weight loss is more about carb restriction and calories net. Health includes the type of calories you take in like protein, fiber, good complex carbs, and healthy fats (mono and polyunsaturated N-3/omega 3). If you stick to those guidelines you'll be trimmer and satisfied and healthy on the inside.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Just like your feathers vs lead statement. A pound is a pound.

The difference is when someone drops them on you.

Aside from being an awesome analogy, that seriously cracked me up! Thanks!

I always go over on my fiber and strive (but often fail) to go over on my protein. Like so many others here, I have custom set my MFP goals to be higher on those two things. I think my fiber is currently set at 28g and I can't remember what my protein was, probably 10% higher because I lowered the carbs by 10%. Lots of fiber is a wonderful thing in my world, as long as I remember to keep myself fully hydrated! Plus, I tend to eat 2-3 tbsp of chia seeds a day, they keep me fuller longer and the way they turn to gel and line my stomach seems to make me much more tolerant of dairy. Once I realized I could eat a greek yogurt for breakfast and not be in pain all day, the chia seeds earned a permanent spot with my morning coffee on my diet.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    eat at least 25 to 30 grams of fiber each day, and, at a minimum, what MFP recommends for protein.