Women only.. please

Options
So.. I was wondering the best way to deal with my "cycle" eating. I crave really sweet stuff about 2 weeks before, and I just basically want to eat everything in site. This is my second month on my current plan of just eating healthy and exercising, which I do about 5-6 days a week. I did ok my first month because I was on a herbal cleanse. But right now, I'm really struggling not to eat what I really want which is chocolate, fried stuff, and ice cream. It seems during this week, nothing really satisfies my hunger. Any suggestions on what you girls do, would be greatly appreicated.

Replies

• jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing but with carbs - potatoes! Nothing but sheer willpower works for me. Try drinking a lot of water - try drinking green tea - putting liquids in helps me a lot. Working out! I am really working out hard and that helps me stay focused on what I am trying to accomplish. You will stop the cravings after a while. Once I am good for about 3 or 4 months I don't crave anymore, at least not to the point of over eating. A little of what your craving won't hurt you and may even help but its all about controlling those portions.
  • gorgeousgeordiegirl
    Options
    i eat mango when i crave chocolate as it is nice and sweet and when hungry drink a cup of tea or do a little exercise to try to take mymnd off it. have a look at hairy bikers new recipes they do really great food which isblow calorie you can incorporate these into your diet easily x good luck x
  • S_Delbridge
    Options
    you should try getting some frozen fruit & put truvia on it if it's not sweet enough. and I eat dessert for breakfast If im going to have it that day. then you have the sweets craving filled & ur moving around all day long to burn the extra calories oppose to eating cake after dinner
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Have you tried filling up on cream of wheat, raisin bran, or other low cal super filling food, then having a fun size chocolate or half a chocolate bar?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If I want ice cream, I go to McD's drive thru and get a cone - it's only 150 calories. Or get some fudgecicles if you think you can handle not eating more than a couple. Ice cream does not come in to my home because I have no control.

If I want chocolate, go with a really good dark chocolate bar (like those ones Lindt makes) or eat a yummy chocolate protein bar. Zone's double dark chocolate and chocolate almond raisin are very good. Just about all the Balance chocolate bars are good too. Clif Builder's Chocolate Mint and Chocolate are also quite tasty - almost 300 calories but you get 30 grams of protein! You could always work out a bit more to make up the difference with the calories.

Mostly I just try to stick with the same eating I usually do because I know if I eat too much junk, I'll feel like poo and it's just not worth it. And continuing to work out, although tough to do when cramps and fatigue are hitting hard, will make you feel better in the long run.
  • natsgirl60
    natsgirl60 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! I LOVE Chocolate, almost on a distrubing level. The only way that I can keep myself away during my cycle is not to have any in my home..also, when I get bored or have time to think about it, it is harder to resist so I find away to keep busy, organize a closet or lift weights or ANYTHING but watch TV!! You can do it, just dig deep girl!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I work out more to offset what I eat. I also am usually under the week before that starts, so it kind of ends up working it's way out. I also try to keep healthier things around when I just want to munch, like freeze dried fruit, freeze dried edamame, etc.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Suddenly I feel very glad to have done the menopause!!

Good luck, best advice is to have a little bit, like a fun size, and count it in to your allowance.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    This may come as a surprise to some, but, I tend to eat a lot of broccoli - and - I believe that Magnesium supplements help. I can't remember where I saw this at, and I apologize for not citing a source, but Google this: Magnesium and menstrual cycles. When I take magnesium at night, the cravings seem to really be better during the day.

Since I started eating more healthy foods, I don't get the cravings as bad - I DO get them - but not nearly as bad.

Good luck!!
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Get some really good chocolate, like Godiva Dark Gems (w/ caramel) They are 40cal each. Eat 5/day, its chocolaty goodness at 200cal/day and should fit into your daily cal count
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Try and get small portions of what you are really craving.... sometimes if we don't eat a small amount, we overeat it and that is worse. Here is what I do for chocolate..... get foil covered eggs (or some type of foil covered chocolate), put it in the freezer and when you have that craving, pop one in your mouth (foil off, of course) and just suck on it. It takes about 10 minutes to melt and really satisfies the craving for only a few calories. I do this almost daily.
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If I want ice cream, I go to McD's drive thru and get a cone - it's only 150 calories. Or get some fudgecicles if you think you can handle not eating more than a couple. Ice cream does not come in to my home because I have no control.

This.

But really, you could also try blended frozen banana with cocoa powder! (I add peanut butter too sometimes). Don't add any sugar.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I eat a quarter cup of ice cream with a spoonful of plain yoghurt and cashews almost every night. It's 100 calories and I find it keeps cravings just gone. If I feel crazy I have a dot of chocolate syrup or a square of a Ritter dark chocolate bar. Only 30 calories.

I'm planning on doing this the rest of my life. I am nOt giving up dessert forever!
  • Nightelyn
    Options
    For me, when that time comes around all I want is (Americanized) Chinese Food. Chicken Lo Mein and fried rice. Willpower helps, but it's okay to have a little bit of what you're craving as long as it's with moderation.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I have the same problem. Before my period i'm ravenous and nothing fills me up, and I really crave sweets, which I don't even like all that much usually! It is definitely difficult. What I found helps is to keep none of that junk in the house. It's much too easy to get if I can just walk out to the kitchen, but if I have to actually get in a car to drive somewhere, go into the store, etc. I'm too lazy. :)

Tea with a tiny bit of milk and Splenda hits the spot for me, or diet hot chocolate, which is only about 20 calories.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I go for granola cereal that has chocolate in it. It helps with the craving. Also, you can get cereals with fruit in them too. Keep in mind, you can have tiny amounts of stuff. Basically, you don't want to feel so deprived that you'll charge into eating too much.
  • cdvannasda21
    Options
    Not sure what the nutritionist would say, but it’s better than candy and ice cream… Try tricking your sweet tooth with some low calorie sweet snacks. I love banana popsicles, all-natural applesauce, jello, teddy grahams, etc. Be careful to not eat foods with aspartame just to save calories though! I also love cutting up strawberries and mixing them with blueberries for a sweet snack.
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    wow all very good advice on here......goodluck idk honestly when i have cravings on my period i HAVE TO have what i want...bc otherwise if im like no ill be good then i blow it worse than if i just ate what i wanted. its easy to sit here and be like oh try this try that but when im craving its like GET OUT OF MY WAY:explode: haha
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I keep dark chocolate around just for that purpose, I really like the dark chocolate covered power berries from Trader Joes, but you do still have to maintain some portion control. 1/8 of a cup is 90 cals (1 serving is 1/4 cup but thats too many cals for me), about 8-10 berries, I just nibble on a couple a few times throughout the day.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    haha you know the guys are gonna peak in anyway!