Classic books that you HATED

Options

Replies

• _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Anything Tolkien...

I know I'll probably be flamed for that...but I did an extensive Tolkien/Lewis class and Lewis won hands down...

i just can't force myself to read or enjoy Tolkien...

Bwahahaha

I'm re-reading the Hobbit right now!
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger......hated every second!

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.....one of the few books I gave up on!

I've spotted a theme....I hate books with 'catch' somewhere in the title!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Old Man and the Sea. It took me an entire summer to read that 100 page book. I didn't care for The Good Earth when I read it in high school but I reread it later and it wasn't as bad as I originally thought.
  • harleydall76
    harleydall76 Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Classic I LOVED...To Kill a Mockingbird. Surprisingly amazing.

I remember thinking that was the better book, and I still didn't care for it. LOL. Then we read The Illustrated Man, and that was my absolute favorite.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

Classic I LOVED...To Kill a Mockingbird. Surprisingly amazing.

This is in my top 5. I love it!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    anything by Ayn Rand and Scarlet Letter
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Turn of the Screw. I had to read it in both high school and college, and it sucked both times. I remember having to read the first sentence at least 10 times before I could fully grasp it and move on. (It doesn't help that his sentences are an effing paragraph long!!!) ><
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    The Great Gatsby. Oh god, just no.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything we had to read in high school. I can't think of any offhand - The Great Gatsby, I think?

Soo many books from high school I did NOT enjoy, and I'm a bookworm! I often wondered why they made certain books required literature :/
    Macbeth, Hamlet, Lord of the Flies, Of Mice & Men, Wuthering Heights :noway:
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i actually hated romeo and juliet...
    i know,odd right?

but,i loved the book,the most dangerous game,witch is odd cause i love romance books.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I can't stand Jane Austen. I hate romance novels to begin with but her's are vomit inducing. Mr Darcy is an a**hole.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Most things by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I just couldn't get into his writing style at all.

^^ This...and I'll add most early-American literature. I took an American Lit class freshman year of college and pretty much hated every second.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Anything Tolkien...

I know I'll probably be flamed for that...but I did an extensive Tolkien/Lewis class and Lewis won hands down...

Love them both!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Classic authors I love: Ambrose Bierce and Ray Bradbury
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Beowulf. To Kill a Mockingbird. Scarlet Letter. Wuthering Heights.

Call me a d*ck, but mostly anything that was assigned in high school is going to suck. You actually think that they'd let us read anything remotely intriguing? Not every book on earth should need a three-hour deciphering session everyday to figure out what the hell is going on. Just sayin....

Now Fifity Shades of Grey on the other hand............:laugh:

{Haven't read it, I've only heard of the strangeness}
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I hate anything Steinbeck. The Great Gatsby was awful as well. I had mixed feelings about Ivanhoe...the story was good but the language was awful...made things way too complicated.

There was also one with a chick named Eustacia Vye. I cannot remember the name of the book, but it was terrible!

Witchmoo...hated? The Catcher in the Rye is my all time favorite book! I've read it 8 or 9 times and I bought the French version and read that as well to practice my French!
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Most anything Austen or Bronte. oh and Les Miserables -that book never ended
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Lord of the Flies. It's disturbing and they're all turds. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be that way.

Now I enjoyed Lord of the Flies. I cried when they smashed Piggie's glasses.

me too i loved him he was my favorite character!!!

I loved Piggie, too. That's just one of the reasons I hate that book so much. I still say "Sucks to your *kitten*-mar!" all the time, though.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Anything Tolkien...

I really enjoy the stories themselves, but Tolkien's writing style is annoying. He sounds like a babbling old man and those songs he wrote are the worst!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

Boring to the point of madness!

Moral of the story - Everyone is always mean to Jane Eyre.