Classic books that you HATED

Options

Replies

• seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Compliments of an English degree I learned to hate anything by Faulkner.. and came close to burning my copy of Catch 22 (Heller).

Oh man...I adore Faulkner and Catch-22 is one of my favorite books---it's absolutely hilarious (English degree here, too).
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Lord of the Flies. It's disturbing and they're all turds. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be that way.

Yes! I had to read this book 3 years in a row for summer reading while switching schools. AWFUL!! I say schools should toss out Lord of the Flies and let kids substitute Hunger Games.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Grapes of Wrath, the most boring book everrrr.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Little Women
  • seasonalvoodoo
    Options

Aw, one of my favorites!
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Walden.

ugh. I have called Emmerson 'Bean Boy' ever since.

I think Emmerson wrote it... I always just called him Bean Boy, so If I'm wrong, sorry
  • seasonalvoodoo
    Options
    I loved almost all of the things I had to read in HS...most notably, The Great Gatsby, The Grapes of Wrath, A Separate Peace, Rebecca, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, etc.

The only thing I did not enjoy reading was Romeo and Juliet, but I love Hamlet and Macbeth.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE the classics but did not like The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck.....too boring for me
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I second that.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Anything by Jane Austen... great cures for insomnia, her books are.

Other than that, I loved every other book I was "forced" to read -- in fact, I'd already read most of them by the time they were assigned for class. I guess I'm just a literature geek. :smile:
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The catcher in the rye :grumble:

i couldn't read more than 5 pages...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Anna Karenina. Awful.

War and Peace. Yeah. I wanted a challenge....it's just too long and it sucks.

Les Miserables. The longest boringest book in history.

I'm very surprised to see so many name Grapes of Wrath..... I was SO into that book. And I loved East of Eden even more.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Also, Gatsby. Because it was forced upon me. :mad:
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    The Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare - which is really a play but it was torturious!! (is that even a word?)

My favorites were Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck and Night by Elie Wiesel

Night by Elie Wiesel is haunting.. I love that book...
    I have been sitting here racking my head with every book I have ever read and I can't think of one I hate. I hated reading most of them in school but once I was able to sit down and actually read them I found that Anthem by Ayn Rand , I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, A Prayer for Owen Meany, and many others are some of my favorite books... It is hard to pick them up and read them more than once but the stories linger....
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get through The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne. After 30 pages describing the house I gave up.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles D ickens

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
    Adding;

the great gatsby , mobie d!ck. out required reading list wasn't to ridiculous, thank god
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love reading, and I love some classic lit... That being said, I hated, HATED Wuthering Heights, The Scarlet Letter, and Great Expectations.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Walden.

ugh. I have called Emmerson 'Bean Boy' ever since.

I think Emmerson wrote it... I always just called him Bean Boy, so If I'm wrong, sorry

'Walden' was actually Henry David Thoreau. He was a contemporary of Emerson's, though, and they were both considered part of the Transcendentalist movement, so it's an easy mistake to make. (Emerson is best known for 'Nature,' which is often assigned alongside 'Walden.')
  • jnj1013
    jnj1013 Posts: 27
    Options
    Grapes of Wrath! All those pages and all I ever remember is that she breast feeds the adult man in the end and it still creeps me out 15 years later!
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Anna Karenina. Awful.

War and Peace. Yeah. I wanted a challenge....it's just too long and it sucks.

Les Miserables. The longest boringest book in history.

I'm very surprised to see so many name Grapes of Wrath..... I was SO into that book. And I loved East of Eden even more.

I forgot Anna Karenina in my list. I read it one summer, and it was one of those books that I didn't realize that it wasn't going to get any better until about half way through... but I get stubborn and can't stand not finishing books. So it took quite a while to finish.