Replies

• TheLittleVoice91
    Options
    Mansfield Park by Jane Austin.

awful!:yawn:
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    What? No Fyodor Dostoyevsky or Leo Tolstoy. Most classic Russian lit makes me almost want to hate reading... almost.
    OMG, I have the EXACT same opinion... All Russian lit makes me want to die. (not really, but you get my point)
  • DestroyTheOpposition
    DestroyTheOpposition Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The Scarlet Letter. Freakin hated that.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have a book I have ever hated.

Seriously I took a classics class just to read some classic books on the list lol I love reading.
  • Nightelyn
    Options
    A Separate Peace - John Knowles
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Wuthering Heights! UGH!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Idk if these have been said (haven't read all the pages yet) but:

Animal Farm-- I had to read it in 8th grade.... 8th graders don't understand symbolism like that lol

Jane Eyre---- what the what. Seriously. So boring, I didn't even finish the book and accepted a voluntary failure on that test freshman year of high school. I cant even...
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    As much as I enjoyed most of Hemingway's "Islands in the Stream" the ending of the book was so sad that it made me want to drink heavily.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I love them all. Swoon.
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Summary of my feelings lol: most books we did as a class I ended up disliking. I had a much higher reading comprehension than the majority of my peers and it was agony to listen to every detail be explained for them... I guess I was a book snob :p

I had the same experiences! I would get called on and not know where we were because I was so ahead! I would get in trouble almost every day for reading ahead...
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The Heart of Darkness. I still have no idea what it was about. Odd thing is, I still own it, 13 years later. No, I haven't cracked it open to give it a second go.

One of my all time favorites that we had to read was Fahrenheit 451. LOVED THAT BOOK! I have read it several times. I also dug Banner In The Sky.

The End.
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    The Scarlet Letter. Freakin hated that.
    haha me too... it fostered a deep resentment of puritans for me.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I really don't remember because I was usually to busy flirting or being flirted with during English class especially if it had anything to do with Shakespeare.

I actually enjoyed To Kill a Mocking Bird. Both the book and the movie. We always did both. Don't really remember reading the book, but loved the movie.

I feel like a bimbo saying all that, but I really love reading books now. I'll read a whole novel in a day if it's really good.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Lord of the Flies (I didn't know what the heck was going on) and Moby **** (WTF)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    The Bible.

I'll second that. I also have deep, seething hatred for "Heart of Darkness", "The Scarlet Letter", and "O Pioneers!".

But I'm also the weirdo who liked reading James Joyce in high school, so... yeah.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Stuart Little.

I got a 3 pack of EB White books for my 8th birthday (I think) - Trumpet of the Swan, Charlotte's Web, and Stuart Little. LOVED the first two....but I was so grossed out by the idea of a woman giving birth to a mouse (that was the impression I got from the first few chapters) I never finished it, and still don't know if that was the gist of it or not, haha.
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Death of a Salesman

The Color Purple

I am the Cheese
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    A classic I hated- David Copperfield by Charles D'ickens. I actually couldn't bring myself to read it though, so I can't say if the book was actually bad, just slow... maybe I'll give it another chance later.

With that said, I honestly can't believe everyone is listing some of my favorite books... Great Gatsby was awesome if you paid attention, and Animal Farm was brilliant if you knew the back story! of Mice and Men was another great read. 1984 is amazing too, IMO. Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I'm not trying to offend anyone. I just wanted to share my perspective, since it was so much different from everyone else's!

:flowerforyou:
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options

Les Miserables. The longest boringest book in history.

[Old Man and the Sea. I wanted to hit that damn old man with an oar and knock him overboard. ] his baseball fixation just bored me.. i thought it would be great to read on a caribbean vacation. wrooong....