Of Mice and Men.

Kill me now.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles ****inson

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Both were serious snooze-fests for me! :yawn:

I am SO with you on Steinbeck....we had to read Grapes of Wrath and a few others in H.S. .... definitely decided I am NOT a Steinbeck fan. Every one is such a downer, esp. in the endings!! Ugh! Wasn't overly fond of F. Scott Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby either.
  • raven3lise
    raven3lise Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Romeo and Juliet.
    They say a good beginning is what gets you hooked into a book.
    A thirteen year old boy is crying about how another girl wouldn't sleep with him, sees Juliet at a party and magically gets over the first girl and falls in love with her. The thought of it was just strange. I never believed in the whole love at first sight thing.

Othello is too underrated in comparison. I'd rather have grown up learning that revenge backfires than to believe in love at first sight.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    With that said, I honestly can't believe everyone is listing some of my favorite books... Great Gatsby was awesome if you paid attention, and Animal Farm was brilliant if you knew the back story! Everyone's entitled to their opinions and I'm not trying to offend anyone. I just wanted to share my perspective, since it was so much different from everyone else's!

:flowerforyou:

I have to say, though I didn't care much for the characters in the book, "The Great Gatsby" had some of the most vibrant and beautifully written descriptions of people, places, and things that I've ever read. Fitzgerald's writing ability is what kept me reading that book.
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Romeo and Juliet.
    They say a good beginning is what gets you hooked into a book.
    A thirteen year old boy is crying about how another girl wouldn't sleep with him, sees Juliet at a party and magically gets over the first girl and falls in love with her. The thought of it was just strange. I never believed in the whole love at first sight thing.

I completely agree with you...I always thought it was kind of immature
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    "A Brave New World" I had to read in Honors English in high school. That book depressed me to no end....
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Les Miserables. The longest boringest book in history.

[Old Man and the Sea. I wanted to hit that damn old man with an oar and knock him overboard. ] his baseball fixation just bored me.. i thought it would be great to read on a caribbean vacation. wrooong....

Hahhaa! I had to read that in high school as well and I TOTALLY agree!!
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Beowulf and The Poisonwood Bible, I Fahrenheit 451'd both of them upon completion
  • phtbtmgrl
    Options
    Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence

Worst. Book. Ever.
  • mysilentundoingx
    Options
    'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck
    CAN I TEND THE RABBITS GEORGE TEND THE RABBITS RABBITS RABBITS RABBITS
    Argh, that book did my nut in ><
  • fleerik
    fleerik Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    House of Seven Gables....Zzzzzzzzz
  • Synryo
    Synryo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I really disliked Beloved by Toni Morrison. The concepts are very interesting, but reading it was torture. Her writing style left me with a near constantly raised eyebrow...

Heart of Darkness was pretty 'eh' too. And Dante's Inferno wasn't nearly as interesting as I thought it'd be.

I dunno why everyone hates on Wuthering Heights so much though. I absolutely loved it. The language is tough to get through, but the story is incredibly deep and passionate. Other great ones are 1984 (albeit very depressing) and Lord of the Flies
  • Synryo
    Synryo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Also... I'm not sure if this counts as a 'classic' but, Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. I only got through 400 pages before giving up...
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Great Gatsby was awesome if you paid attention, and Animal Farm was brilliant if you knew the back story! of Mice and Men was another great read. 1984 is amazing too,

I like The Great Gatsby, Of Mice and Men and 1984. I think it just depends on when you read it and whether or not your teacher really explained it. I bet most people were exposed to them in high school. You really have to get creative to make the books come to life. Also, there's a lot of background information to some of these books which kinda impacts your reading of them. I would recommend watching the movies first if you didn't get into them. You might enjoy them so much you'll want to read the novels afterwards.

I must admit though, I'm a great lover of science fiction. I think it's one of the few genres that's not taught that much in schools and yet it's pretty entertaining.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Frankenstein, Heart of Darkness, and The Sound and the Fury (to be honest, I never even finished that one). Favorites were The Awakening, Jane Eyre, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Brave New World.

Oh, and I hated all Shakespeare too.
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The entire Rabbit series by John Updike and Edgar Huntly Charles Brockden Brown.

Although there are a lot of books in this thread that people seem to have disliked that I loved and have read over and over. To each his own.
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    P.S. Also not a big fan of Edgar Allen Poe or Emily ****inson....too morbid for my taste!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Oedipus, Julius Caesar, Grapes of Wrath, Brave New World, 1984

Ones I loved: Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mocking Bird, The Crucible, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Age of Innocents
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    P.S. Also not a big fan of Edgar Allen Poe or Emily ****inson....too morbid for my taste!

LOL at the censoring!
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Wuthering Heights.