What do you define as heavey

Options
2»

Replies

• aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It just means what ever you struggle with. If your lifting a weight and have no problems with it then it needs to be increased. If your making it past 12 reps and could keep going then that would not be heavy. It is different for everybody though. Find a weight that you have to push yourself to get that last rep out.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    IMO heavy is failure at 8 reps.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do three sets of 8, so heavy for me is thinking, "Oh, this is easy" on the first three reps, then "Ok, maybe not so easy" on the next three, and "DAMMIT!!!!" on the last two. Rest and repeat. :tongue:
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Heavy is different for everyone. The idea is to lift as heavy as YOU can but not so heavy that you can't lift it or hurt yourself. 20 pounds may be super heavy for you, but 60 pounds may be a breeze for someone else. I take walks around my town with a 5lb dumbbell in each hand. Those things get heavier as the walk gets longer.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    6 reps & under is heavy to me.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    id say lifting heavy is based on a weight that you can lift for 1 repetition (1 rep max). anything above say 75% of your 1 rep max for instance could be deemed as lifting heavy. someones heavy set will be based around their 1 rep max and may look like this: 5 sets of five reps at 75% of their 1 rep max.

Its not based on what others can lift but what you can lift! the fact that someone else is doing 600lb deadlifts and you can manage 100lbs is irrelevant.

This. What was heavy lifting to me a month ago is not even close to what i consider heavy lifting now.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My version of heavy is the 8-12 range with me almost reaching failure towards the end of the 4 rep. I stay at that weight until I can get 15 reps with minimal effort. If I can reach one of those sets to fifteen I usually know its time to move up.

I rely on bio feedback also. Sometimes I know going in that day I might need to up or sometimes even lower the weight. Especially when I'm dieting. Lack of sleep, missed meals, an injury, etc can lower what is heavy to me.
  • hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would define heavy as 7-10 reps. Not heavy enough if you aren't experiencing total muscle failure by that 10th rep.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Maximal strength training is roughly 85% to 100% of your 1-rep max and typically works in ranges of 1rep to 5reps.

I agree... this is heavy.