Pepper spray or stun gun?

Options
For those who run/walk/bike through undesirable areas, trails, or out in the woods- do you have any form of personal protection? I'm considering buying either mace or a stun gun because I frequent a trail that's been known to have a flasher and there have been rumors of girls being raped (although I can't find any police reports or news stories confirming this) and I've been told I should have something for protection as there are some parts of it where you are over a mile away from houses/people.

I'm considering either a small handheld stun gun or a pepper spray, does anyone carry one or the other? I feel as though the stun gun is miles better in protection, but it might get extremely annoying to hold on to, whereas the pepper spray can be clipped onto my keys or shorts. Opinions?

Replies

• cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I would take a self defense course as well as get mace or whatever you'd like.
    You never know what situation you'll be in, and having that knowledge could prove useful
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Bear mace and stun gun. Also, hunting knife. Also, my hands. Deadly weapons.
  • rosekittie
    rosekittie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My mom had mace walking around the block and when a pitbull came after her and her little dog the pepper spray didn't work. So I'd either test it out before or get a stun gun.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I would also wear a shirt. :smile:
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    One of my good friends is a deputy sheriff and I asked him this exact question. He suggested mace as you wouldn't have to get close enough to make physical contact with the stun gun. And stay vigilant, keep music, if you listen to any, down low enough to hear what's going on around you.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Just remember, any weapon or item you carry for protection has the possibility of being used against you if you're not cautious...

Also, I don't run with earphones in, I like to be able to hear people/dogs/cars approaching...
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd probably first check the laws for your area on what you are allowed to carry and go from there. Some places won't even allow someone to carry mace, which is ridiculous. Usually mace and hand held tasers are ok but if you are wanting a taser that shoots a projectile, you might want to check the legality of those also. A self defense course is always a good first step.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i'd stun gun, unless you can find a gel-based pepper spray that won't come back on the wind to me.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    As good as pepper spray or stun guns are...

...Sometimes the simple ones are the best.

Rape alarm. One of the first things that will scare any attacker off in a situation like this is if you draw attention to them.

Besides - sounding an alarm is the fastest way that doesn't require you to have a good aim. You can just pull it, and get to a well-lit area as soon as possible - and keep the pepper spray for if it gets to close quarters (which really you want to avoid at all costs).

Also... With things such as stun guns and pepper spray... If they get close quarters enough to grab you and you've not managed to get them with pepper spray/stun guns... You've probably succeeded in giving them a weapon. Just a thought.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Both are legal in my state thanfully! And I think self defense would be a good step too, the stun gun I was looking at has a wrist strap with a safety pin in it so if an attacker were to grab it, the pin would fall out and the gun wouldn't work. As for pepper spray, if they were to grab that, there's no real safety measure on that. I do currently carry around a rape whistle but I'm looking for protection in areas where I would be potentially too far away from people to hear.

But I just wish the world was all cupcakes and rainbows and I wouldn't have to worry about this, but alas...
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    As good as pepper spray or stun guns are...

...Sometimes the simple ones are the best.

Rape alarm. One of the first things that will scare any attacker off in a situation like this is if you draw attention to them.

Besides - sounding an alarm is the fastest way that doesn't require you to have a good aim. You can just pull it, and get to a well-lit area as soon as possible - and keep the pepper spray for if it gets to close quarters (which really you want to avoid at all costs).

Also... With things such as stun guns and pepper spray... If they get close quarters enough to grab you and you've not managed to get them with pepper spray/stun guns... You've probably succeeded in giving them a weapon. Just a thought.

Love this reply!
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I carry one of these:

tmbn_New20Products.jpg

It's very light and can fit in a pocket; you stick your fingers through the eyes and use it like brass knuckles. :flowerforyou:
  • Robinsond61
    Options
    Take a gun safety course and then get a Glock. A bit more effective than the other options..
  • txcaveman
    txcaveman Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster

This is what I would have a loved one carry. Very high quality. It must work when you need it to work...
  • Shadowsan
    Options
    What about the oldest method - changing the time you run? Finding a running buddy?

Obviously broad daylight is a whole different situation, and running in groups provides plenty of security...?
  • txcaveman
    txcaveman Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Take a gun safety course and then get a Glock. A bit more effective than the other options..

^^^ or this
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There are very real threats out there and it's a very good thing that you recognize that. No matter what you choose, as said before a self defense class or instruction of any kind would be a good thing. If someone was to separate you from you weapon, no matter what you choose, it's always a good thing if you know what to do. :)
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    What about the oldest method - changing the time you run? Finding a running buddy?

Obviously broad daylight is a whole different situation, and running in groups provides plenty of security...?

Oh of course cuz it's so easy running in 100 degree weather, what are you going to say next? MOVE to a new city?
    Running with someone if you can find someone with similar pace and training schedules other than that I run with mace sometimes but I need to get me some of those brass kitty knuckles. Damn!!!!
  • Shadowsan
    Options
    Surely carrying weapons is a bit of a double-edged sword really...

...What if said attacker was to jump you unawares? Would you really be able to use any of these weapons, and is there any guarantee that these weapons could fall into the wrong hands?

A rape alarm isn't a weapon, it is really easy to use - electronic ones can operate at much louder volumes than a whistle... And means you can get away or put them off before it ever gets close quarters.

Apart from that, if you know an area is suspect - find a running buddy, or pick a different time/area to run would be the safer options.