Pepper spray or stun gun?

Options

Replies

• cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    What about the oldest method - changing the time you run? Finding a running buddy?

Obviously broad daylight is a whole different situation, and running in groups provides plenty of security...?

Because I can't always find a buddy to go with, and I always go in broad daylight.

And more just because I'm not going to let fear of threats control any part of my life :smile:
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    My husband bought me a stun gun for protection. I'd go that route.
  • cardiokitten
    Options
    I carry one of these:

tmbn_New20Products.jpg

It's very light and can fit in a pocket; you stick your fingers through the eyes and use it like brass knuckles. :flowerforyou:

And these are so cute! :love:
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    What about the oldest method - changing the time you run? Finding a running buddy?

Obviously broad daylight is a whole different situation, and running in groups provides plenty of security...?

Because I can't always find a buddy to go with, and I always go in broad daylight.

And more just because I'm not going to let fear of threats control any part of my life :smile:

I agree - nothing should ever put you off doing what you really want to do. And nobody should live in fear. But carrying a weapon to give you a sense of security in my opinion is a bit of a false sense of security, because there are no guarantees you'd ever get to use it, and if it falls into the attackers hands then it's even worse.

Prevention is surely better than cure - if you're running in broad daylight and have a rape alarm and/or a mobile phone that you can make an emergency call on quickly... Most police forces nowadays can triangulate signals and into the bargain if you say where you are, the police can be on-site pretty sharpish.
  • Skych123
    Skych123 Posts: 96
    Options
    i actually carry a fork :laugh: :laugh:

biking home from the bar in a sketchy area, i grabbed a fork just in case. now i just carry it whenever I ride :bigsmile:
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Take a gun safety course and then get a Glock. A bit more effective than the other options..

I have a tiny little glock (the 27) and it's still far too big to conceal while I'm running. Maybe one of the smaller Kel-tecs or a Bersa.
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    And these are so cute! :love:

They're cheap, too! I gave them away as stocking stuffers a couple of years back. Google 'Wild Kat Keychain' to find them.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I only run in well lit, populated areas. Yeah, I'd love to run on a trail by myself, but I'd rather not risk it. I also question my ability to use pepper spray or a stun gun properly if attacked

Oh, and I also bring my phone with me when I run.
  • LeRevCooper
    Options
    I recently bought pepper spray for protection because I've been in some scary situations while out on a run at night. Stun guns are too expensive, and you have to get too close to use one. Pepper spray can be used at more of a distance.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I only run in well lit, populated areas. Yeah, I'd love to run on a trail by myself, but I'd rather not risk it. I also question my ability to use pepper spray or a stun gun properly if attacked.

Agreed. Besides, how many attackers are going to come directly at you to give you the opportunity to use a weapon? More than likely they would catch you unaware... Or jump out from a concealed area. In that situation, most times weapons are effectively useless.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    .380 ACP
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    .380 ACP

This......along with a concealed carry safety course!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Well, just make sure you wear more than your bra, like in your photo here. You don't want to draw unwanted attention... Don't jog alone, don't take the same route every time, wear a whistle, take your phone with you, don't go after dark and I'd get the pepper spray. They have some that unclips very easily.
    Stay safe.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I carry one of these:

tmbn_New20Products.jpg

It's very light and can fit in a pocket; you stick your fingers through the eyes and use it like brass knuckles. :flowerforyou:
    Love it, thanks for the info.
  • cardiokitten
    Options
    I forgot my profile picture showing off all my progress and the hard work I've done for the past couple of months somehow means that's a reference for what I go out in public looking like...?

tumblr_lr9laavS831qafrh6.gif
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I forgot my profile picture showing off all my progress and the hard work I've done for the past couple of months somehow means that's a reference for what I go out in public looking like...?

tumblr_lr9laavS831qafrh6.gif
    now if you run in that outfit, I'd give running a try
  • bahlquist
    Options
    A stun gun is better I have been hit for work with both
    but peper spay should be fine for everyday carry
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Just remember, any weapon or item you carry for protection has the possibility of being used against you if you're not cautious...

Also, I don't run with earphones in, I like to be able to hear people/dogs/cars approaching...

You shouldn't run or be alone in places like that....

I am a victim of a vicious attack...and I can assure you- neither would have stopped the attack (maybe it would have caught him sooner), but unless your trained and not a complacent person....you should avoid these so called areas alone.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I was attacked in broad day light....and threats will control your life once you've been threatened- I assure you that!
  • boy03727
    boy03727 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Weapons are good to carry, but you must practice using them and practice while under stress. Stress, fear, and rush of adrenaline will make a big impact on how well you use your weapon or even think to use it before it gets taken away. I recommend taking a self-defense course and or a rape prevention course. I highly recommend Krav Maga or Brazilian Jiu jitsu for self-defense. The Gracie family has a home DVD women empowered course that looks good. I haven't seen all of it, but what i have seen looks very good. There are some clips on you tube if you want to check it out. But any self-defense class of any style with a quality instructor will help. Just don't put all of your faith in something you have never used or even trained with.