Replies

• Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    One of the better things I've made, Momofuku Bo Ssam with baby romaine, rice, kimchi, ginger scallion sauce and ssam sauce. Have a bunch of leftovers to use this week

20120812_180132.jpg
    20120812_180708.jpg

Brine pork shoulder overnight, wash brine off. Slow roast for 6hrs, then let cool, rub with brown sugar and salt and let caramelize in a 500 degree oven for 20 min. It takes a while to finish but it's really simple with few steps

Drooling here :love:
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    monday's crock pot dinner was cheap, frozen chicken breast, 1 sliced onion, a bunch of garlic and a bottle of buffalo wing sauce. low for 8 hours, then shred chicken. add back in with 2 tbs butter and go another 30 minutes. great on rolls or even just plain. have in the past used it the next morning in scrambled eggs.

Don't mean to hijack this, but I've seen more than a few recipes where people say use a bottle of buffalo wing sauce, or Frank's Hot Sauce. Do you really mean a whole bottle ? Like 12 ozs or so?

yup. whole thing. need liquid in crock pot cooking. sometimes for it to have a broth but, in this case, once shredded, the sauce will all incorporate into the chicken. hot sauce isn't going to add any calories. frank's has some bbq-type sauces, too, that only have about 400-450 cals in the whole bottle, so it doesn't up the total much.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i used a dry rub and pork loin roast put in crock Pot, There are many flavors of dry rubs. You add a little bit of your favorite BBQ Sauce. You can also do beef roast in Crock Pot. or a tri tip perseasoned or you can season your own. I add my own spices so i don't get salt.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Steak au Poivre

Crush peppercorns coarsely in a mortar and pestle

Salt steak and then press in peppercorns

in a pre heated cast iron pan, with a little oil cook about 3-5 min a side

Deglaze pan with cognac and add in cream and reduce till it thickens a bit

uhhh yum! I need to start getting my recipes from you. I may have to try that. I was just going to recommend marinating...

Exactly!
  • wisters
    wisters Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump, i need this thread!!!
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Crock pot lentils! Just lentils, ham hock or kielbasa, chicken broth, water and carrots. Soooo good and FILLED with protein! Freeze-able too if you make a big batch.

Oh! That sounds great!!! Thanks!
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This might sound gross, but I really like it and it's quick and easy. I use fat free Ricotta Cheese, mix it with a tbsp or so of SF/FF Jello Pudding MIX, and add a few tbsps of FF Cool Whip. Sometimes I add fruit to it.

The cartons of egg whites are also great. Very low calorie, high protein. You can fry them up quick or even add them to a smoothie (they are pasteurized and ok to eat uncooked)
  • taaaters
    taaaters Posts: 70
    Options
    bumping for later
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Steak au Poivre

Crush peppercorns coarsely in a mortar and pestle

Salt steak and then press in peppercorns

in a pre heated cast iron pan, with a little oil cook about 3-5 min a side

Deglaze pan with cognac and add in cream and reduce till it thickens a bit

I just licked the screen......
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    This is a very easy recipe and really quick to throw together. It calls for chicken thighs, but I just use a package of the Purdue Perfect Portions boneless chicken breasts (knocks the calories and fat down quite a bit). Then I store individual servings in tupperware and pull them out as I need them for lunch/dinner and reheat in the microwave :

http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Main-Dish/Rosemary-Baked-Chicken-with-Potatoes.aspx

In the spice aisle, McCormick has a bunch of what they call "Recipe Inspirations". It gives you the right amount of all seasonings you'll need for about 10 different dishes, and the back of the package is a punch-out recipe card. They run around $2.00 each. It's a good way to try out new recipes without buying $15 of new spices before you know if you like the dish!
  • foranagirl
    foranagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Doesn't get any easier than this. Cut some boneless, skinless chicken breasts into bite size chunks. Add onion, garlic, and any vegetables you desire. Create a pouch made out of tin foil and toss in a few tablespoons of lite zesty Italian dressing (only adds 25 calories). Seal up the pouch and put it on a grill. The chicken and vegetables will steam nicely in the Italian dressing and their own juices and make a tasty entree. Of course you can put it over rice to give it more substance, or if you want to really kick up the protein content, put it over Quinoa. Lots of protein and Quinoa is a complete source of amino acids.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    my go to for simplicity is protein sludge.

cottage cheese or ff greek yoghurt (or combination) and either add sf pudding mix or flavoured protein powder, bit of water & mix. Chuck it in the freezer for a little bit. I usually add some fruit, high fibre cereal or nuts as the different textures work well.

Regular meat options for me:
    kangaroo chilli con carne (can use any mince meat)
    lemon/soy/garlic grilled fish
    satay chicken (pb & lime)
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bumping for ideas!
  • movalpolos
    movalpolos Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas so far everyone! So many new things to try =)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I like to cook a larger portion and eat off of it for a couple days, rather than having to cook every day.

Crockpot Meat with Gravy~Pot roast, round steak or pork chops thrown into the crock pot with a can of mushroom soup (or make your own mushroom soup) and some dried french onion soup mix. Cut up some onions and/or other veggies and throw them on top and cook until done. Makes its own gravy.

Mexican Chicken~Chicken pieces + can of diced tomatoes + half jar of salsa + canned or fresh chilies/peppers in crockpot. Also add spices of choice (cumin, chili powder, etc). And cook until done. Be careful if using chicken breasts as it is easy to overcook and dry it out. Shred chicken and return to sauce. Serve with tortillas, on taco salad, turn into filling for tamales or enchiladas.

Chicken or Steak Fajitas~In a very hot pan, brown your chicken or steak (cut into strips) quickly in a little bit of oil. Remove from pan, cook peppers and onions over high heat until tender crisp. Return meat to pan. You can make a quick sauce if you like with something like this. http://mexican.food.com/recipe/fajita-seasoning-mix-28011 Serve as-is with fajita condiments (sour cream, cheese, tortillas) or just eat over salad.

Taco Salads~ Cook hamburger or chicken with chili powder, garlic, cumin, onion powder. Serve over lettuce with cheese, tomatoes, etc. Can crumble a few tortilla chips on top for crunch.

Curry Chicken~Cook onions and other veggies like zucchini or mushrooms until soft. Remove from pan. and brown 1-2 T curry powder in a little bit of oil. Add 1 can of coconut milk and one cup of broth. Add carrots, potatoes, and raw chicken chunks to sauce to simmer. When almost cooked through, return onion mixture to pan. Season with salt and red pepper flakes. Serve with rice or by itself in a bowl.

Annie's Spicy Shrimp with Walnuts and Spinach~Chop and toast walnuts, set aside. Clean and de-vein shrimp. In hot pan, cook sliced white onions, green onions, and other veggies that you like. When tender crisp, remove from pan. Add shrimp and cook quickly. When almost done, add fresh minced garlic, baby spinach, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and chopped cilantro. Cook until spinach is wilted and shrimp is pink. Serve with toasted walnuts on top.

I would also maybe look into buying or making some spice blends. If you have a store like Winco where you can buy in bulk, you can buy individual spices for really cheap and make your own blends. It's nice to have a Mexican or Taco Seasoning, a Cajun and/or Creole Seasoning, and a Curry on hand.
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump for later :tongue:
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Bump:drinker: