missed period due to exercise?? PLEASE HELP!

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I bet shes underweight and has lower fat than necessary.

OP can you give us some stats?

weight
    body fat%
    occupation
    workout routine
    How long you have dieted for

I'm guessing that her hormonal response is due to lower fat% and excessively low dieting.
  • r5wr
    r5wr Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm Def. Not to tiny I'm 5'5 186 lbs don't know bf% but I know its not cause I'm.underweight. I'm.so.full though I can eat anymore!! Lol
  • r5wr
    Options
    Age almost 19, just started working at Petco, 30ds every day then 100 extra bicycle crunches. That's it. Dusted for 15 days now
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I started a new program which was more intense that what I had previously been doing - my body was pissed off, and I missed it for 2 months (first time was non-existent, second was spotty but nothing to write home about). Third month , back to normal. it was kind of like my body had to get used to what I was doing to it, and it "re-booted".

If you think you might be pregnant, definitely get to a doctor and/or take a test to be sure. if there's no way you could be, then I'd give it a few months to see how your body reacts. Anything longer than that though, and I'd check with a doctor. :-)
  • r5wr
    Options
    I went from 0 exercise to 30 day shred which is intense and 100 bicycle crunches. So my body has to be like wtf!?! I really hope its just the excerise and weight loss
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I'm Def. Not to tiny I'm 5'5 186 lbs don't know bf% but I know its not cause I'm.underweight. I'm.so.full though I can eat anymore!! Lol

According to the info provided:

BMR 1622 so if you are eating below this and not eating back calories you are under eating.
    TDEE 2514 is how much you burn in a day appx. Anything eaten below this will result in fat loss to an extent.
    If you cut too low youll burn lean mass as well.
    Sometimes this can cause issues such as toxicity from EFAs or FFA that cause the body to harbor fat.
    You are in the Obese 1 category.
    This means that you wont build any lean mass by working out so you should do everything in your power to maintain what you have.
    30DS is probably not the proper workout for you.
    Suggesting weight training or body weight workouts at home.
    http://jasonferruggia.com/top-20-bodyweight-exercises-for-building-muscle-strength/

If you have access to a gym I suggest www.stronglifts.com.
    Dont worry about cardio because SL5x5 will get the heart pumping and the fat melting in no time.

Suggested NET calories per day: 2000
    Protein and fat set to 30% each for help with fat metabolism.

So if you decide to use this number you wont have to eat back any calories.
    If you decide to do it MFPs way you should shoot for 2k every day you workout.

This number at your size should produce between 1-2lb a week lost to fat and water.
    LBM would be retained so long as you lift heavy ****.

PM me if you have any Qs.

=D
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Generally, you have to have your body fat % drop quite low to have periods stop. But diet and exercise does have some effect on hormones, so it is possible that the sudden changes has caused it. But the advice you have gotten is solid. First rule out pregnancy and then go from there.
  • r5wr
    Options
    I appreciate tour help but 30 day shred has given me awesome resultant and I'm half way through it I can't stop yet, but once its done ill look into what your suggesting thanks everyone ill take a test sometime soonish
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options
    I know everyone's body is different, but I have never, ever had an issue with my period due to exercise. At one point I was working out two times a day, doing Insanity and lifting weights. BUT I have missed it due to pregnancy.

If you have been sexually active, take a pregnancy test once your period is officially late. It will put your mind at ease. You don't need to go to the doctor really. You can buy one from the dollar store. They work just fine, trust me.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I've really been ramping up my exercise, and last month my period was about a week late and SO light. Honestly, it was great- my periods are really heavy for the first 3 days so it was a nice change. I'm wondering how it will be this month though.
  • myers1920
    myers1920 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If your pregnant, you will know soon enough. Are you cramping with no cylce. Do you feel queasy or sick to your stomach? Do you notice a highten sense of smell? Are your breast sore? If you answer yes to any of those questions your most likely pregnant.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I appreciate tour help but 30 day shred has given me awesome resultant and I'm half way through it I can't stop yet, but once its done ill look into what your suggesting thanks everyone ill take a test sometime soonish

LOL you can stop anything at any time!
    How much are you eating daily?
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    No I hardly ever eat 1200 but I'm eating like I should. I'm.going to get a test I just don't want.to.test to.soon have it be neg. Because its to soon then have me not.know. you know?

My period disappeared when I was at the lowest point of my eating disorder and I was only eating around 900 calories, and working out excessively.
  • r5wr
    Options
    I ment I can't stop because I've come this far and never made it this far. Thank you all for the attempted helps. Took two preg. Test. Both neg. Soo ill take it from here.
  • eeweiss
    eeweiss Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    YES, this is very common and happened to me after 8 weeks of training!! See my post about it here: http://www.livelifeactive.com/2012/05/24/how-exercise-can-affect-a-womans-menstral-cycle/
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    YES, this is very common and happened to me after 8 weeks of training!! See my post about it here: http://www.livelifeactive.com/2012/05/24/how-exercise-can-affect-a-womans-menstral-cycle/

thanks, but since it's been 2 years, let's all hope that she's figured it out by now. nice way to promote your blog tho, i guess
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

thanks, but since it's been 2 years, let's all hope that she's figured it out by now. nice way to promote your blog tho, i guess

I think she already named the kid.

and had another one.
  • mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're ovulating later than normal or possibly even having an annovulary cycle.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    This just freaked me out even more lol bit thank you guys. I'm eating way healthier and less junk food snacking, then I used too. Ice also.lost about 10 lbs in 15 days... So that could be part of it. I'm not hoof to the doc right away because I.don't want to have to deal with my parents/family over a scare you know? I don't know when to test though? I had spotting Saturday and then took my Sunday bmc. Pill (can't remember then name something like orethcyclyn) then spotted again Sunday a little bit Monday then nothingg I've beverages spotted before though my period usually comes around sea. Thursday. I'm just.freaked out. I so can't be pregnant right now... Hence the birth control lol

When you make changes in diet and exercise, it can most certainly affect your menstrual cycle. Even stress can.

If you are sexually active, you should take a test now.