What was your "fat" breaking point?

Options

Replies

• Neassa
    Options
    For me it's really a number of things over the course of the past year:

- My husband and I applied for life insurance. I was consider high risk because of my weight and had to go for a physical before the insurance company would accept me. The doctor doing the physical told me I was obese and had to lose weight. I've gained 6kg since then.

- I have no photographic record if the past 5 years of my life, because I avoid photos like the plague. The photos my SIL insisted on taking of me at Christmas last year made me so depressed that it ruined the whole day for me.

- I've had to give up several activities I loved, because I became too ill to take part any longer, like dog training and belly dancing. I hate having to sit on the sidelines and watch my (older) friends do things like take part in charity walks and I can't join them because I feel too sick.

- The closet full of beautiful clothes that I can't wear. I rarely find nice clothes in my size (can't afford to shop at speciality shops), but that doesn't mean I want to pass up on that beautiful skirt or top, just because I can't fit into it. I've accumulated a whole new closet full of clothes just waiting for me to lose the weight and it KILLS me each time a friend borrows something that I've never even worn, because 'you can't fit into it anyway'.

- I don't want to feel like this anymore. My life is passing me by while I feel too crap to enjoy it. I want to be fit and healthy and take everything from life that I possibly can.
  • r5wr
    r5wr Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When I realized I was self concious in my own home around my own family. When I was trying to hide my weight by how I sit, wear big hoodies, est. And when I realized I was almost 200 lbs. That was enough for me.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    After I started getting anxiety about going out, canceling plans with friends over it, being disgusted with my self and my body....hating the way I look naked, and when my fat pants started to get snug.
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Bad relationship with my ex-bf, pictures, my very low self-esteem issues, not wanting to visit people when I would return back home on my breaks when I was in college.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    stretchmarks on my side from the quick weight gain.

seeing i was so fat in my christmas holiday picture.
  • Chrisplayer136
    Chrisplayer136 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I hopped on the scale and saw 291 lbs, my highest weight. I told myself I would not hit the 300 lbs mark. That lifestyle is dead and the rest is history.
  • miss_believer
    Options
    Finally hitting my fat breaking point now. I was texting on my phone and got a glimpse at my double chin reflecting back at me. Not Pretty...
  • bramley1911
    bramley1911 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    New Years Eve when I was trying dresses on for going out that night and realised that none of my favourite dresses I'd bought, which were still in my wardrobe, fit me. At the point I decided all my hard earned money was going to waste on stuff I was didn't fit in and it was time to make them useful again. I'm determined to wear one in March for my Mum's birthday and look much better than I did the last time I wore it.
  • bub_snig
    Options
    Mine is in two parts that lead to me taking action

Part 1: I found my perfect wedding dress and the biggest size it came in was a 12 (aus)
    Part 2: went on a shopping trip and at one outlet saw some digital scales and hopped on and nearly had a heart attack at the number staring at me. At that very moment I bought those scales and wanted to prove them wrong and also fit into that dress too.

I still have those scales and I am not far off that dress either
  • mol3718
    mol3718 Posts: 16
    Options
    When I was invited to a party with friends I had not seen in awhile and I felt too embarrassed to go. I imagined people on the ride home in their cars with the "Wow Molly gianed weight" comments. These are people I have known and loved for years. I couldn't believe how scared/ashamed I was.I still have a lot to go but I am a social person and I can't live like that anymore.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    My "fat" breaking point was that my self-esteem was low. I felt like no one would ever like me because I was fat and that I would always be alone. :(
  • Tannerb816
    Tannerb816 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My breaking point happened during the summer, but I was too busy in the fall to do anything about it. So here I am! :-)

My husband and I went to Six Flags. I hadn't been in about a year, and he hasn't been in a VERY long time. We got on the batman ride.....or at least tried. They couldn't buckle my seat or his. We had to get off of a ride that just a year ago, I fit into. I was so embarrased. I knew right then that I needed to do something.
  • xerses25
    Options
    Forever and Ever , but I am wise to the game now. Just one day at a time.
  • amili045
    Options
    Bad relationship with my ex-bf, pictures, my very low self-esteem issues, not wanting to visit people when I would return back home on my breaks when I was in college.

omgosh you are so beautiful... stupid boys
  • amili045
    Options

omgosh you are so beautiful... stupid boys

I mean that in the most loving of ways, boys!!
  • td718
    td718 Posts: 3
    Options
    My "Uh-Oh" moment was when I looked at pictures of myself with my children. I was beginning to look matronly and like my mother! Scared the heck out of me. So i took digital photos of myself in a bikini (yuk) and my measurements and put the printed pictures on the wall in my closet so each time I went to get dressed, it was a reminder of what I looked like. I have lost 25 pounds, but more importantly went from a size 12 (almost 14) to a 6 because of the exercise and toning. I am the same weight now as I was when I was married but was a size 10 back then because I didn't exercise like I do now. I have kept that weight off for 3 years!

I had a sports injury, surgery and gained 10 pounds back due to lack of exercise, but as of last week, have my butt back at the gym after using a trainer to teach me different stuff I can do. I WILL get this off again! It feels way too good when it happens.
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough, what finally got me moving in the right direction had nothing at all to do with my weight. In fact I'd accepted that I'd never be a single digit size and never lose weight. (I'm a size 8 now.)

Rather I was in a bad relationship and was so frustrated with my life in general that I realised that I need to just accomplish one thing for myself, accomplish one goal just to get my self-esteem back. I realised that the only things I could change were the things I did such as what I ate and how much I exercised so I just focused on losing weight to taking away the energy I was spending focusing on a boyfriend who was killing himself with his own bad habits.

It's funny how much you can accomplish when you focus on yourself and not others.
  • rustyroof
    Options
    When I realised all deiting is a fad of some sort, its all about healthy eating and excercise. I never do without the food i love, Im never starving or craving things. I just do 5 days a week training and its falling off :o) last year I lost 21lb by doing 2/3 days training and I had treats, ate out and drank when I was out with friends, I didnt fail once, so this year my plan is the same but I have up'd my excercise to 5 days a week and more intense workouts. I even brought my first bit of equipment for home training. 20 years of yoyo'ing, excuses and fails is enough. I found what works for me.
    If I can double my loss this year then I'll only have 28 next year and I am at my target weight for my age and height. To me thats awsome :0)
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    two things that happened the same week:

Picture of myself with my son at a carousel at the zoo and I though "Who's the fat person with my kid?" Then realized it was me.

And getting my bloodwork back for my annual physical....my BP and cholesterol were within normal range instead of lower than low normal.