How do I eat all those calories?

Options

Replies

• bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I get full quickly and cant eat all my designated calories, so I eat a heck of a lot of peanutbutter to give myself some calories and still fall short sometimes, but PB is high so it helps me a lot. Oh my goodness and its goood!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...Do not make yourself sick because some fruit loop halfway around the world who most likely isn't a doctor told you to... You need to trust MFP more than him as this program was designed for this....
    I don't suppose it occurred to you that MFP was designed by somebody halfway around the world from the OP who most likely isn't a doctor as well? There's a disclaimer on MFP that none of the advice given by MFP, mods or members should be considered as medical advice, or words to that effect. Explain to me again why the OP should just blindly trust MFP without doing any research, asking any questions or taking any advice from anybody?

Sure, there's some TOTAL fruitloop advice given on these boards...plenty of it. But there are also some people who know what they're talking about and give sound advice. You have to sift through it with the B.S. meter on, but it's there. And if you're referring to Helloitsdan as a "fruitloop" for the advice he gives in his roadmap thread, congratulations - you've just convinced me that you don't have a clue. The methods he advocates are simple and have been used successfully by a lot of people (not just on MFP) for weight loss for many years.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    OK, all that TDEE and BMR junk is so confusing!!! There are so many different things people say. I recommend putting your info into MFP and trusting it. Don't listen to all that other stuff.. Mostly because What works for on person doesn't always work for another. I completely disagree with that guy who say "You aren't unique like a snowflake" Yes we are. We are all different. If we weren't then we would all weigh the same no matter what. You need to find what works for you. If you can't eat 1800 calories a day, then DON'T!! Do not make yourself sick because some fruit loop halfway around the world who most likely isn't a doctor told you to... You need to trust MFP more than him as this program was designed for this. If it's not working change it up a little. MFP takes in to account how must "work" you do daily.

My method has worked for about 95% of the clients I've run numbers for.
    I'm currently at 250.
    I give detailed advice reserved through multiple sources and compared to scientific studies/research.
    Everything I've prescribed to others I've done myself.
    I'm currently helping my first MFP client, prepping her for a swimsuit contest.

What have you done to better your peers today?
    I ran 4 sets of numbers (45mins time) and I don't get paid for it.

I'm currently seeking ISSA certification as well as putting myself through school to become a registered dietician in the state of Maryland.
    All while working full tone as a manager of a retail store.

My door is always open to all.
    When you stall, unique snowflake, send me a PM.
    I'll help break your plateau like 100s of others.

Hugs!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    OK, all that TDEE and BMR junk is so confusing!!! There are so many different things people say. I recommend putting your info into MFP and trusting it. Don't listen to all that other stuff.. Mostly because What works for on person doesn't always work for another. I completely disagree with that guy who say "You aren't unique like a snowflake" Yes we are. We are all different. If we weren't then we would all weigh the same no matter what. You need to find what works for you. If you can't eat 1800 calories a day, then DON'T!! Do not make yourself sick because some fruit loop halfway around the world who most likely isn't a doctor told you to... You need to trust MFP more than him as this program was designed for this. If it's not working change it up a little. MFP takes in to account how must "work" you do daily.

Just because you are confused and don't know how to do the simple math to get TDEE and BMR doesn't make it wrong.

Its really not that hard at all.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

So MFP must be all-knowing?? You need to do your research before you jump to conclusions. MFP is just a tool, and doesn't take a lot of factors into consideration.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Holy wall of text batman

1500 calories? Put more food in your mouth
    how about peanut butter?
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options

My method has worked for about 95% of the clients I've run numbers for.
    I'm currently at 250.
    I give detailed advice reserved through multiple sources and compared to scientific studies/research.
    Everything I've prescribed to others I've done myself.
    I'm currently helping my first MFP client, prepping her for a swimsuit contest.

What have you done to better your peers today?
    I ran 4 sets of numbers (45mins time) and I don't get paid for it.

I'm currently seeking ISSA certification as well as putting myself through school to become a registered dietician in the state of Maryland.
    All while working full tone as a manager of a retail store.

My door is always open to all.
    When you stall, unique snowflake, send me a PM.
    I'll help break your plateau like 100s of others.

Hugs!

^^^THIS^^^

You ROCK Dan!!! And it's working for me - Plateau broken!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    The trouble with new ppl and mfp is simple.
    They don't tread stickies.
    They set themselves up for unrealistic goals.
    They setup the program incorrectly.

Mfp and my method are very alike.
    Both use a form a cyclical dieting so one would have to understand how this works.

My method has you eating below TDEE 20-30% to lose fat.
    So a regular week with 3 days working out using my cals as an example...

Sun rest 2k
    Monday lift 2k-300=1700
    Tuesday rest 2k
    Weds lift 2k-300=1700
    Thursday rest 2k
    Friday lift 2k-300=1700
    Sat rest 2k

Mfp method of eating back cals.

Sunday rest 1700
    Monday lift 1700+300=2k
    Tuesday rest 1700
    Weds lift 1700+300=2k
    Thursday rest 1700
    Friday lift 1700+ 300=2k
    Saturday rest 1700

It's a difference of 300 cals between the 2 methods.

I'll lose just about the same amount.

My method takes the stress out of worrying about eating back cals.
    The end result is the same.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

- I love oils, but then again, wouldn't they make my amount of fat too high? (Nothing personal against it, I just try to stick with the number MFP provides)

One of the first things I did setting up my MFP profile was change the settings on the carbs, fat and protein to a ratio of 40/30/30. This is what is close to The Zone diet and works for me very well. I eat and lose without feeling hungry all the time. I eat at about 20% below my TDEE (much higher each day than MFP would have me on at 1200 calories) and I have been steadily losing weight and seeing inches come off me.

Don't just take the MFP settings as set in stone. Personalize and customize your diary to incorporate more fats as above and you'll have no problem eating more calories to get in a range that will help you break your plateau. I would think in Italy, this should be very easy to do with all the wonderful cheese, fresh olives and olive oil you have! :smile:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    bump - cause I'm a BIG fan of the "fruitloop"!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    See my ticker? That's what happens when you listen to fruit loops.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sorry if my post is a tad long, but I wanted to be as clear as possible, given that I'm not a native speaker of English - but I'm sure you already noticed that :happy:

I AM a native speaker, and I did not notice any problems with your English! Your English is brilliant - better than most natives! :drinker:
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

mmmm.....Froot Loops....
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    All hail the flippen Fruit Loops! :smile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    OP send me a friend request and feel free to pick apart my diary.
    I'll seed you out to my friends list where you'll meet 100s of like minded people.

The premise behind my method is simple:

Give fat a reason not to exist.

You eat right and move right and you'll shed excess fat!
    Simple stuff!

This won't happen if you eat too little btw.
    That give fat a reason to exist once a surplus of calories is introduced.

Savvy?
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    So I looked through your diary quickly and a few things come to mind. First, I wonder if you aren't actually eating more than you think. For instances, did you use any oil when baking your pork? Did you sautee the fennel or did you eat it raw? If you did then you need to write it down. If you didnt, maybe you should start. Unless you have high cholesterol or need to watch your fat intake for other medical reasons, being a little over the MFP amount will probably not harm your weight loss. I use lots of fats in cooking (it unavoidable when using cast iron) and it turns out food tastes much better when cooked with oil/butter.

Which brings me to my next idea. I cannot see your recipes to know whats in your pasta and rice dishes nor am I familiar enough with Italian (?) to know from the recipe names, but I get the idea that you do not like vegetables. I started off hating raw vegetables, so I started putting them in my pasta. At this point I try to have equal amounts of vegetables to refined grains (rice, pasta, bread) in my cooked meals and my meals actually taste better than they did before. Now I like vegetables (sort of) and even have some as snacks during the day.

Did you like the anise? try cooking with it again if you did, plus add a second vegetable in and see how they go together. If you didnt, start back at square one with a new vegetable. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/spring-green-risotto-recipe/index.html Here is a good recipe that includes risotto and fennel, plus a couple other vegetables. In general vegetables taste better cooked. AND USING OIL! :smile: (You can tell I love oil).

And onto the nachos. I kind of wonder if your reaction to it was more because you werent used to the ingredients and the junk food aspect of it than to the increase in calories. When I eat fast food, I tend to feel sluggish and weighed down and in general like I ate way too much. I would suggest trying to up your calories with more of what you have been eating. Maybe drink another latte as an afternoon snack or eat more parmegian with your fruit salad? The added vegetables at dinner will also help.

Also you don't have to listen to people telling you you should eat eggs and what not for breakfast. Not because they are wrong, I have eggs almost every day for breakfast. Its just that we are mostly american or british and probably grew up eating a high protein breakfast. Eat what you feel comfortable with eating when you are comfortable eating it. Its silly for you to give up bananas and bread for breakfast just because someone half a world away eats fried eggs and a protein shake.
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Fruitloops !!! YUMMY

I would die eating 1200 calories ...and my family would move far, far away!
  • thistimeismytime
    Options
    I'll seed you out to my friends list where you'll meet 100s of like minded people.

Simple stuff!

Savvy?

So can I have some Froot Loops now or WHAT??

Pass the milk. :drinker:
  • thistimeismytime
    Options
    Fruitloops !!! YUMMY

I would die eating 1200 calories ...and my family would move far, far away!

BAHAHAHAHA--this is SOOO true!! I tried it for a week, and figured that it wasn't worth losing weight if it cost me a divorce.

:devil: Hell hath NO FURY like a woman with no food!!! :devil:
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Simple stuff!

Savvy?

So can I have some Froot Loops now or WHAT??

Pass the milk. :drinker:

If that's your body in the avatar ill give you anything!
    Sexy BAMF!

Holy ****!
    =D