Weirdos at the gym. Ladies?

Options

Replies

• _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I love weirdos so I'm no help.

Ok no really, I dont but.. I'm usually too busy at the gym to notice what others are doing. Unless someone talks or touches me inappropriately, they don't much exist in my world during that time.

If you really feel threatened in any way, ask someone to walk you to your car.
  • Missanticipated
    Options
    Maybe you should just ask what he's staring at before you take any action. I stare at people all the time without even realizing especially at the gym when my minds wandering. I know I watch people on the weight machine things to make sure I do it properly and sometimes just because I'm pure nosey but if someone came up and spoke to me about it I'd be pretty embarrassed and make sure not to do it again.
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The other day at the gym there was a creepy guy staring at all the girls and making way too much icky eye contact. I thought about mentioning it to one of the guys at the desk, but I didn't want to make a big deal if he was just a social weirdo. I got a really icky vibe being around him. What do you do when someone at the gym gives you heebie jeebies?

Did he sniff your bike seat after you got up? If not I think you are overreacting.

ahahahaaha i love you
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Options
    Maybe you should just ask what he's staring at before you take any action. I stare at people all the time without even realizing especially at the gym when my minds wandering. I know I watch people on the weight machine things to make sure I do it properly and sometimes just because I'm pure nosey but if someone came up and spoke to me about it I'd be pretty embarrassed and make sure not to do it again.

This too. If I'm oogling the boys that are heavy lifting it;s because i want to do it to and maybe I can learn from them.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Why are people so self conscious? He's probably zoned out staring straight ahead. When I get on the treadmill and start running I have my headphones in and I'm not thinking about anyone else but me and i stare straight ahead. There happens to be another row of cardio machines and then a row of mirrors meaning if someone is on the elliptical in front of me and I'm zoned out staring straight ahead I'm staring at their *kitten*. Oh *kitten* i just turned into a creeper. Unless someone is coming up to you or following you out of the gym get the hell over it.

:laugh: I always feel like when I look down at the screen on the treadmill or I zone out while working out that people probably think I'm looking around to try and stare at them like a weirdo.
    I've probably seemed like a creeper at some point too.

For some people it's really not intentional!
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I remember that he has paid just as much as you have to be there and he can do what he wants with his membership.

Then I also realize I'm there to work out and not worry about what others are doing, get over yourself and focus on the task at hand.

Yes, he has paid his money but it does not excuse bad behavior. That is why there are rules for everyone and etiquitte so that EVERYONE will be safe and comfortable. You should not have to put up with being oogled in order to work out. After all I paid for my for membership as well.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Some of the people here seem like the sort who have strong personalities. We don't all have the same personality. Some of us feel intimidated quite easily.

That said. For now I would avoid looking at him. Eye contact CAN send mixed messages and if you keep accidentally meeting his eye he might start thinking you're interested. If you don't want to be approached, stop looking at him. Easy as that.

If, however, his behavior escalates beyond just staring (which CAN actually be the first sign of a creeper. Most women have excellent instincts about these things) - say he starts following you around, or follows you outside of the building, then I might consider speaking to the gym employees to see what can be done.

I was raised by police officers. What they taught me is that a woman's instinct is almost never wrong. So if you feel this guy should be avoided, then avoid him. Trust your instincts and they'll keep you safe. ESPECIALLY if you don't feel confident enough to take him on.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Some of the people here seem like the sort who have strong personalities. We don't all have the same personality. Some of us feel intimidated quite easily.

That said. For now I would avoid looking at him. Eye contact CAN send mixed messages and if you keep accidentally meeting his eye he might start thinking you're interested. If you don't want to be approached, stop looking at him. Easy as that.

If, however, his behavior escalates beyond just staring (which CAN actually be the first sign of a creeper. Most women have excellent instincts about these things) - say he starts following you around, or follows you outside of the building, then I might consider speaking to the gym employees to see what can be done.

I was raised by police officers. What they taught me is that a woman's instinct is almost never wrong. So if you feel this guy should be avoided, then avoid him. Trust your instincts and they'll keep you safe. ESPECIALLY if you don't feel confident enough to take him on.

Thank you.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    The other day at the gym there was a creepy guy staring at all the girls and making way too much icky eye contact. I thought about mentioning it to one of the guys at the desk, but I didn't want to make a big deal if he was just a social weirdo. I got a really icky vibe being around him. What do you do when someone at the gym gives you heebie jeebies?

Did he sniff your bike seat after you got up? If not I think you are overreacting.

LMFAO... THIS Totally. Call me a creepy girl because a guy with a nice A** on the elliptical in front of me is going to get a few glances from me. I'm not going to walk over and lick him... but damn I'm thinking about it.
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Options

LMFAO... THIS Totally. Call me a creepy girl because a guy with a nice A** on the elliptical in front of me is going to get a few glances from me. I'm not going to walk over and lick him... but damn I'm thinking about it.

I guess you and I are the only girls that look at men at the gym *shrug* i must be a pig.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    hey there. i'm sorry someone is making you feel uncomfortable at your gym.

i feel uncomfortable all the time at my gym. people stare at me for all kinds of reasons, i have tattoos, i wear ratty gym clothes, i wear a funky bandana, i am fatter than pretty much anyone there, i play my music too loud on my cheap headphones etc etc.

it does make me really upset but i just try to remember this "i'm not here to make friends" and even though i feel hurt and uncomfortable i try to ignore it. after all it's a gym not a bar. if someone is staring at you you have no idea what condition their brain is in after a work out, i stare blankly all the time when i lift weights.

there is however a difference between someone staring at you and someone approaching you and harassing you, or following you out of the gym. If you feel that you are in actual danger then yes, by all means tell the proper authority, no question.

If you are just feeling uncomfortable, I want you to know that I understand but you are not alone. I think almost everyone gets stared at by a weirdo at the gym and coming from someone who has been that weirdo before, sometimes its because your endorphins are so messed up you need to stare at something. Or maybe you see someone who you think is really fit and are admiring or studying them for motivation.

yeah i know, i am a creep.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Wow...this went from a guy checkin out women to him being a potential rapist! But, I wonder, if a MAN posted this thread about a women checkin out the guys at the gym (any aged women, I'm not pickin on the "cougers") what would the responses be? Just puttin that out there..........

If you feel unsafe, work out at home.
  • jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ok. So this turned into a disaster. I'll just ask the creep what his problem is.

By all means do so! I did this to a jerk who would come sit like 3 ft in front of me every damn time i was in the gym and stare while I was on the treadmill. When I got done he'd get up and go sit in front of another woman work out, and so on. It was blatant enough that there was no mistaking what he was up to, so I finally confronted him about it and told him it wasnt cool to come sit and stare at women while we're working out. Tried to give me attitude about it and laugh it off, told him it wasn't funny and I'd report his *kitten* to management if it continued. Few times I've been there since he hasn't done it, just gives me a sulky look and pointedly looks elsewhere.
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    A great deal depends on the intent behind the staring, which is something we can't really tell just by what the OP said. Some people DO stare, zone out, etc at the gym and it's no biggie. However, telling someone to 'get over themselves' because they're seeing something as unwanted sexual attention is just beyond stupid. Women don't think men are creeping on them because they're oh so totally hot and who could resist. That has absolutely zero to do with it. It's about unwanted attention and how to discourage it.

If it's blatant, I would talk to management about it so that they can at least keep an eye on the guy. And as others said, it's absolutely 100% okay to be paranoid. Never, EVER feel bad for asking someone to walk you to your car, or for putting distance between yourself and someone who makes you feel uncomfortable. Much of the time, your instincts are warning you for a reason.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Someone staring at women... I don't care. Someone staring at ME... I might care. And that's not just me being a self-centered b-word. Maybe he knows those other women. When I went to the gym with my husband, we went our separate ways and did our own thing, but I know damn well he was checking me out. I'm sure that would look creepy if someone didn't know we were together.

Also, I don't notice someone staring - at me or anyone else - unless I'm doing some staring of my own.

I mean... if the guy was standing there, staring, licking his lips and rubbing his crotch, that's one thing, but otherwise, I'd ignore it.
  • ThatBikerChick
    Options
    I remember that he has paid just as much as you have to be there and he can do what he wants with his membership.

Then I also realize I'm there to work out and not worry about what others are doing, get over yourself and focus on the task at hand.

Of course this is coming from a guy who has zero idea what it feels like to worry about your safety even a tiny bit. Thanks for the awesome advice, buddy.

Ha ha some guys just like to troll, but i know how it feels to get stared at by the creeper. When I was in Iraq there was this civilian guy who changed his workout schedule to mine and would constantly stare at me. I ignored him, but at the same time I ended up getting one of my co-workers to workout with me for safety.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    i just stare back. once they realize you are aware, they usually stop.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    This is about the 10th creepy guy thread. Why don't you just call the cops so they can bring them to bubba and he can stare at him all day long in the cell.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Just a wonder sort of question to the responding posters-- what if a guy poster had said "The other day I was at the gym with my girlfriend and there was a creepy guy staring at all the girls, my girlfriend included and making way too much eye contact. I thought about mentioning it to one of the guys at the desk, but I didn't want to make a big deal if he was just a social weirdo." Would your advice change?
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    You could also speak with a female staff member of the gym and just indicate that it may be nothing but he was making you feel uncomfortable. I understand what everyone is saying about minding your own business however there are some people who may need to be addressed because of their behaviour. Leave it for the staff to determine as they will know the coming and going of their members better.