Yoga *IS* strength training.

Options
So why is it included only in the cardiovascular section of exercise? Here are just a few of the strengthening things we do every time we practice yoga:
-push ups
-arm balances
-one-legged balances
-sit-up/crunch poses, like boat pose
-hand stands, for crying out loud

How do I get yoga included in the strength training list?

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    So why is it included only in the cardiovascular section of exercise? Here are just a few of the strengthening things we do every time we practice yoga:
    -push ups
    -arm balances
    -one-legged balances

Are you doing maximal effort using the ATP-CP energy system to power your TypeIIb muscle fibres to failure in under 30 seconds? If not, then you're not doing strength training.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It is debateable as to whether that would strictly be considered strength training or conditioning

Far less debateable is the fact that getting upset about the classification of it on this website indicates you are not getting the full relaxation benefits of yoga.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    lol^
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure yoga was invented for calming meditation benefits, not for getting THICK, SOLID, TIGHT, HUGE, JACKED!
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    -push ups
    -arm balances
    -one-legged balances

You can add it to your strength training manually and it will be there from then on when you enter your work outs in. Just hit the "Add Exercise" button.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure yoga was invented for calming meditation benefits, not for getting THICK, SOLID, TIGHT, HUGE, JACKED!

Woosah
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I guess you're right. All of those weight lifters, power lifters and body builders out there should just stick to doing yoga only for the purposes of getting bigger and stronger.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It is debateable as to whether that would strictly be considered strength training or conditioning
    I think that would depend on the person.
    Pushups are not really strength training for most guys, but new exercisers and many women even in decent shape probably can't do more than sets of 5 full range of motion pushups. Same for one-legged squats and holding your body weight on one arm.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My understanding was that it's in the cardio area so that you can use it to hit your calorie totals. I was told the strength training tracks your reps and such but doesn't hit calories. Not sure how accurate that is since I don't use the strength training section.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I guess you're right. All of those weight lifters, power lifters and body builders out there should just stick to doing yoga only for the purposes of getting bigger and stronger.

Not everyone wants to get bigger, I know I sure as hell don't, yet I still incorporate a combination of lifting and yoga into my regime. I'm a woman though, so getting bigger isn't really something I can do without the 'roids anyway.

Yoga sure as hell challenges me strength wise! Especially the crazy push ups my instructor has us do. I thought I was going to fall on my face the other night in class, arms were shaking, sweat dripping off my face---maybe I'm a lil weakling, but that was no soothing walk in the park. I know plenty of women who do yoga as their only form of strength training who have improved strength that way. I am challenged every single time in yoga class, because there are always variations on poses that can take you to another level. I had a class Monday night and I'm still sore today!

Not everyone's goals are the same. Personally, I don't care what it's logged as, cardio or strength, I actually prefer logging it as cardio so I can get the calorie burn benefit, but that's just me. All I know is most yogis aren't heavy lifters, and I've yet to see one that's flabby in any way.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    The strength part of the log is just to log your reps from weight lifting. It doesn't calculate calories burned. The cardio section also has strength, circuit, weight lifting listed with estimates of calories burned. Calm down.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Pushups are not really strength training for most guys, but new exercisers and many women even in decent shape probably can't do more than sets of 5 full range of motion pushups. Same for one-legged squats and holding your body weight on one arm.

Seriously??? A woman that is decently in shape can't do more than sets of 5 full range pushups???? Are you kidding me????
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

Seriously??? A woman that is decently in shape can't do more than sets of 5 full range pushups???? Are you kidding me????

Yeah, that has me miffed as well...
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Hahaha I challenge thee to a push-up off. BRING IT.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    i freakin love yoga (power yoga, not meditation yoga). I am pretty sure the reason it isn't considered "strength training" is because you can't increase your weight- you are strictly using body weight, like you can when you are actually doing strength training. using nothing but your body weight can only get you so far :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Ha! I'm still working on just one push-up!
  • Shambree813
    Shambree813 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    "It is debateable as to whether that would strictly be considered strength training or conditioning

Far less debateable is the fact that getting upset about the classification of it on this website indicates you are not getting the full relaxation benefits of yoga."

^^^ good point, lol.^^^ Yoga does take strength, it is good exercise. Just log it where ever it is and enjoy the benefits
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options

I'll admit it. I'm in decent shape (not great) and I can't do 5 full motion pushups.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

I can do 30
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Far less debateable is the fact that getting upset about the classification of it on this website indicates you are not getting the full relaxation benefits of yoga.

+1 internet.