Yoga *IS* strength training.

Options

Replies

• Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    So is typing, so is walking, so is talking... whats's your point?
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Obviously, by the comments, a very touchy subject. I do think that yoga is a great workout. I've tried yoga and it is very difficult. My problem with calling it strength training is that the resistance is not being increased. Most people will either remain the same weight or lose weight. You may have better muscle endurance, but you're not really getting that much stronger. It should be listed as cardio.
    But you can increase resistance by changing the pose. Many people start out in yoga unable to do the actual poses, and make modifications. As their strength improves, they can get closer to the pose as it's intended to be done. They can also move to one-armed and one-legged poses, which take lot of strength. And they can do things to change the leverage, for example, if balancing on their arms, they can change their leg position to move their center of gravity to make it harder.

Very similar to gymnastics. You can get pretty strong with just your body weight for resistance, with the right program.
    At a certain point, yes, the strength training benefit will plateau. But it could be a long while for most people.
  • ixap
    Options
    what?
  • ixap
    Options
    So while yes, yoga is indeed a practice that will increase your muscular strength I'm confused by why you'd want to track sets and reps of asanas.
    Maybe she wants to track her progress. Maybe she can only get through 2 sets now and has a goal to get to 10.
    Maybe she is modifying some of the poses now and has a goal to do the standard poses.
    Same reason I track my weightlifting workouts.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself to be in that great of shape and I could do 5 full motion pushups if I had to. I just don't understand why this woman put that on here. New excercisers, sure. Decently in shape women? Sexist and annoying.
    I'm sorry you find me sexist and annoying. Ouch.

I think maybe my definition of full range of motion is different than some. I'm talking about FULL RANGE - chest touches the floor on the bottom portion, arms extend to fully straight on the top, butt tucked in and core tight.

I find these very challenging. I can do up to about 8 right now before I need to take a break. When I first started lifting weights 2 years ago, I couldn't even do one - I had to use a resistance band rigged up to the pullup bar to support some of my body weight. Maybe I'm wrong but I think full range ones like would be hard to do for the average woman in decent cardiovascular shape but new to weight training / yoga.

I see a lot of people doing what I'd consider a half-range pushup - fully extending the arms, but then going only halfway down.
    My friends who do tons of yoga and take it seriously can do the full range pushups very well, because they do those moves in class. They can also do pullups better than me, so I have not been un-impressed with yoga as a strength training technique, up to a point.

We could go round about all day about what your definition of "average woman in decent cardiovascular shape but new to weight training/yoga" is. I mean, earlier you said a women in decent shape. Not decent cardio shape but new to weight lifting. Obviously someone NEW to weight lifting is not going to be able to do this type of move yet unless they are strong from something other than weight lifting, their job, perhaps. Not sure that being in decent cardio shape is as important as having muscular strength and endurance for what you're talking about.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    Obviously, by the comments, a very touchy subject. I do think that yoga is a great workout. I've tried yoga and it is very difficult. My problem with calling it strength training is that the resistance is not being increased. Most people will either remain the same weight or lose weight. You may have better muscle endurance, but you're not really getting that much stronger. It should be listed as cardio.
    But you can increase resistance by changing the pose. Many people start out in yoga unable to do the actual poses, and make modifications. As their strength improves, they can get closer to the pose as it's intended to be done. They can also move to one-armed and one-legged poses, which take lot of strength. And they can do things to change the leverage, for example, if balancing on their arms, they can change their leg position to move their center of gravity to make it harder.

Very similar to gymnastics. You can get pretty strong with just your body weight for resistance, with the right program.
    At a certain point, yes, the strength training benefit will plateau. But it could be a long while for most people.

Very similar to gymnastics?! A SERIOUS STRETCH! People whose main physical activity is gymnastics and those whose main physical activity is yoga could not have less similar physiques.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    what?

This guy just likes to get on threads and make *kitten* up to cause drama. Ignore him.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I think that would depend on the person.
    Pushups are not really strength training for most guys, but new exercisers and many women even in decent shape probably can't do more than sets of 5 full range of motion pushups. Same for one-legged squats and holding your body weight on one arm.

Seriously??? A woman that is decently in shape can't do more than sets of 5 full range pushups???? Are you kidding me????

Yeah, that has me miffed as well...

I'm not 'in shape' by any means, and I can eek out 5 good form push ups... a woman in shape can do many more I would assume...
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Becoming stronger is a neurological response to increased resistance. If that is happening, then the person would become stronger. However, a lot of people will be losing weight as they do yoga. So, you are correct in saying that the plateau will eventually happen.

I've done yoga workouts. Knowing the difference in lifting heavy weights and a yoga workout, going back to the OP, it isn't that odd that yoga would be considered more cardio than strength training.

ETA: Gymnasts lift weights.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    yeah..but yoga let's me be a playground superstar! ;D

doesn't require some strength? Okay, for the guys, yeah...they're not huge, but look what they can do with their bodies.

http://youtu.be/KSJ0da0G_eI

http://youtu.be/evQl_Xhf_6I
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

This was the point I was trying to make (aside from the gymnastics part, I wouldn't really compare the two). I've been practicing yoga for over a year and I'm still challenged all the way through my practice. You can also incorporate a block or strap into certain poses to increase or decrease the difficulty. It's not all tree poses and meditating, y'all :smile:

And the bulking/roids thing---I didn't mean put on weight. Obviously, a woman can put on muscle. I mean like getting big and jacked---literally getting larger like a man. Not gonna happen without help. Now, shush because you're gonna scare all the noob female lifters into thinking they're gonna get "bulky"!! lol
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    10/10 i got trolled
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Heck, most men can't do a proper pull-up either. The amount of people at the gym that actually touch the pull-up bar is practically zero, where it's the first thing I touch. And lots of them, if not most, are in WAY better shape than me. I just like pull-ups.

Saying "many women can't" is very different than "no woman can". He wrote one, but it seems like you're reading it as the other.
  • ixap
    Options

We could go round about all day about what your definition of "average woman in decent cardiovascular shape but new to weight training/yoga" is. I mean, earlier you said a women in decent shape. Not decent cardio shape but new to weight lifting. Obviously someone NEW to weight lifting is not going to be able to do this type of move yet unless they are strong from something other than weight lifting, their job, perhaps. Not sure that being in decent cardio shape is as important as having muscular strength and endurance for what you're talking about.
    "new exercisers and many women even in decent shape " is what I said. I didn't say an experienced weight lifter. I just meant someone who is not sedentary or morbidly obese. That is all.

And I'd like to repeat for everyone saying they can easily do dozens of pushups, I am talking about full range, good form, chest to floor. Try it if it's not something you do in your regular workouts and tell me if you think it's super easy.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    <<<From Hot Power Yoga 2-3x per week (no lifting for me)

I like the long, lean look I have achieved.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options
    If you are in any kind of shape at all you should be able to do at LEAST one solid push up, unless you are extremely heavy and have really long arms or something odd like that. I've never NOT been able to do a push up. I can't do a ton now in one set, but push ups are typically including in general physical fitness tests. There's a reason for that, if you are fit, you should be able to do push-ups.

Poor OG though prob doesn't give an eff about push-ups and now her thread is covered with posts about them.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I have to respectfully disagree with this assessment of yoga. There are many forms of yoga and some of them focus specifically on strength and balance. Many poses have several variations designed for progression as one increases their strength. Being able to propel oneself into a free form hand stand or lift into a full wheel has little to due with muscle endurance or cardio fitness.

ETA: After reading your next post, I would assume that your experience with yoga is related to some form of vinyasa yoga which involves moving between poses and will be more carido based. There are other yoga disciplines that focus more on strength.
  • charliebrooke08
    Options

This was the point I was trying to make (aside from the gymnastics part, I wouldn't really compare the two). I've been practicing yoga for over a year and I'm still challenged all the way through my practice. You can also incorporate a block or strap into certain poses to increase or decrease the difficulty. It's not all tree poses and meditating, y'all :smile:

And the bulking/roids thing---I didn't mean put on weight. Obviously, a woman can put on muscle. I mean like getting big and jacked---literally getting larger like a man. Not gonna happen without help. Now, shush because you're gonna scare all the noob female lifters into thinking they're gonna get "bulky"!! lol

If they get on my 2300+ calorie plan and lift like I do, then they might get bulky if they're lucky :) People are scared to death of calories though so I don't think I have to worry about noobs. Dear NOOBS, you won't get bulky unless you want to, and work, I mean freaking work at it 24/7! Promise!
  • ixap
    Options

Saying "many women can't" is very different than "no woman can". He wrote one, but it seems like you're reading it as the other.
    SHE wrote. I'm a woman.

I am a woman who squats 145#, clean & jerks 85# for reps and runs 50 miles at a time. And who finds doing full range of motion pushups pretty hard still. The guys I see at the gym seem to be able to do 20 with no break; the women except for the very strongest seem to struggle to get to 10.

If I'm way off and most women can do tons of full range pushups, one legged squats, and poses where they balance their whole body weight on their arms, fine. I've been wrong before.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

I have to respectfully disagree with this assessment of yoga. There are many forms of yoga and some of them focus specifically on strength and balance. Many poses have several variations designed for progression as one increases their strength. Being able to propel oneself into a free form hand stand or lift into a full wheel has little to due with muscle endurance or cardio fitness.

Yes, that does take a tremendous amount of strength to accomplish. However, once a person is able to do these things, unless they are getting heavier or attaching weights to themselves, they aren't going to get stronger just by continually doing these movements with their current body weight.