how do you divide your calories?

Options
A random question I just thought of.... How do you all divide up your calories between meals and snacks? More specifically, do you find that you eat more calories for one meal than others, or are you pretty even across the board? After looking at my food journal I notice I eat about even caloric amounts for breakfast, lunch and my two snacks combined. Then dinner is the remainder of my calories. I'm just curious to see how others do it and if maybe switching my heavier calorie meal to earlier in the day would be more beneficial. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    A random question I just thought of.... How do you all divide up your calories between meals and snacks? More specifically, do you find that you eat more calories for one meal than others, or are you pretty even across the board? After looking at my food journal I notice I eat about even caloric amounts for breakfast, lunch and my two snacks combined. Then dinner is the remainder of my calories. I'm just curious to see how others do it and if maybe switching my heavier calorie meal to earlier in the day would be more beneficial. Any thoughts?

The most important thing to note is that personal preference should dictate your decisions on this. You aren't going to have any physiological benefit to making one meal bigger or smaller provided that we are comparing the exact same total intake.

That being said, I skip breakfast, eat a medium sized lunch, and then eat a buttload of crap for dinner.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I eat about 150 cals for breakfast, 300 for lunch, and then like 1,000 calories for dinner. :)
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options

The most important thing to note is that personal preference should dictate your decisions on this. You aren't going to have any physiological benefit to making one meal bigger or smaller provided that we are comparing the exact same total intake.

That being said, I skip breakfast, eat a medium sized lunch, and then eat a buttload of crap for dinner.

this! it is all about what keeps you satisified and from binging. my 3 meals are fairly equal in size (approx 600 cals each)because that is what works best for me :)
  • bhbarros
    bhbarros Posts: 101
    Options
    I usually eat around 200 calories for breakfast (my go-to meal is a bowl of cereal with almond milk and some strawberries).
    Lunch is more varied, but usually doesn't go over 400.
    Dinner can be anywhere from 300 to 600.
    And I'm a HUGE snacker. This probably isn't the case for a lot of people, but I eat every 2-3 hours or so. I'm more likely to have 6 small meals than 3 large ones. My snack calories from yesterday totaled to 500. On days that I eat a really small dinner it's even higher :P
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    With my teeth and digestive system.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    250-350 calories 5 times per day. I just switched to this eating last week and I really like it.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I do approx 300 breakfast 400 lunch 500 dinner and that leaves 300 cal to split in two snacks for 1500 ca total..on active days I will add another 200 to 300 cal somewhere in there.
  • betterplayer
    Options

same thing.
    *facepalm*
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Smaller breakfast and lunch, snacks as needed, big dinner. Typically 50% of my calories are for dinner and an evening snack.
  • jeffsater
    Options
    Ideally the majority of your calories should come early in the day. Eat like a King at breakfast, a Prince at lunch, and a peasant at dinner with a couple of snacks in between. Five small meals per day is a good rule. I've found that the key is not so much when, but HOW you allocate your calories.

40% Carbs (Good carbs, complex)
    40% Protein
    20% Fat
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my calories to around 400 a meal, but then again my allowance is 1770.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    As Sidesteal said, do whatever works best for you. As long as the total caloric intake is the same, it doesn't matter when you eat it. Your body has no idea what time it is and your metabolism works 24 hours a day. There's no such thing as "kickstarting" it in the morning with breakfast, nor does it grind to a halt between meals. Eat whenever is most convenient/comfortable for you.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    There's no right or wrong. Divide in a way that keeps you from feeling deprived. I usually either skip breakfast or have a frappachino light or yogurt (less than 150 calories), have a medium lunch and larger dinner. Actually, the lunch and dinner meals are usually about the same, but then I enjoy cake and ice cream almost every night after dinner.
  • dan11222
    dan11222 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i tend to not eat till about 6pm after exercise then i go nuts on protien and healthy fats and get all my calories in before 10 pmworks a treat and i dont get hungry in the day cant beat it:)

11871746.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • amykff
    amykff Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    my lunch and dinner are usually between 400-600 cals each day....most days i dont eat breakfast but on the days i do it would prob be something small and only about 150 cals!! i try not to use too much on snacks maybe 200 cals a day!! everyone is different though so try out a few different things to see what suits you most :smile:
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options

? Im sorry but why do you even bother posting if you are going to be a smart *kitten*?
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I normally have about 200-300 for breakfast depending on the day, then around 500 for lunch, and the rest for dinner and my two snacks are around 200 each. I net around 1500 each day :-)
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I try to divide my meals into roughly 5 equal meals. But that's mostly b/c I'm diabetic and working really hard at getting off the meds. This helps stabilize the blood sugar, prevents highs & lows. Experiment and do what works best for you. You'll probably change it around a few times anyway as you increase your activity level.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    250 - Breakfast
    400 - Lunch
    150 - Snack
    400 - Dinner
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I eat when i'm hungry. I attempt to keep each snack under 150 cals. but if i snack a lot during the day and that totals to 750 cals, and then dinner is 200 cuz i'm not as hungry then so be it.

I don't plan that portion of my food.