What sushi rolls do you get?

Options
I'm going for sushi tonight and I don't know what to get that's low-cal and healthy. It seems like the nutrition info is variable...what do you get when you go for sushi?

Replies

• cylima
    cylima Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with maki and I get one with either cucumber or avocado and I ask for brown rice. Have fun!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating sushi, counting calories is the farthest thing from my mind. It's one of my guilty "once in a while" pleasures. I like just about anything with avocado, salmon, or spicy tuna. I've been known to shove those huge cream-cheese covered rolls into my face, as well. :laugh:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    None - seafood's gross. That being said, I wish I liked it and try it all the time hoping one day I will!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating sushi, counting calories is the farthest thing from my mind. It's one of my guilty "once in a while" pleasures.

True that.
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I usually get a salmon avocado roll and a tuna roll. Ask if they have brown rice as well. I always get a side of edamame too :happy:
  • LisaD1025
    LisaD1025 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Every sushi restauarant calls their rolls different things (except for the standards: California roll, tuna/spicy tuna, etc.), but I would steer clear of anything "tempura" (read: fried) and anything with a lot of sauces is going to have a lot more calories. Sashimi is the best for you/lowest calorie option, but I know a lot of people aren't big fans. Also, the soy sauce that a lot of people use for dipping has a ton of sodium in it, so that can be bad news too.

I love, love, LOVE sushi, but it can be a lot higher in calories than you might expect if you're not careful about it.

Is it possible to look at the restaurant's menu online before you go and see what some of your options are??

Enjoy!!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating sushi, counting calories is the farthest thing from my mind. It's one of my guilty "once in a while" pleasures. I like just about anything with avocado, salmon, or spicy tuna. I've been known to shove those huge cream-cheese covered rolls into my face, as well. :laugh:

Word. I love me some sushi.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Im vegetarian so I ea avocado rolls (OMG DROOL), but my boyfriend loves the tuna, and salmon nigiri.

4544254727.jpg
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Cucumber roll! I like the crunch and it isn't slimy.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Now I want sushi! Doh, stuck at work with mashed cauliflower instead lol
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When I'm watching my cals I go for plain raw salmon without the rice on the bottom, just dip it in loads od wasabi and have a seaweed salad those are yum !!! But to be honest when I go for sushi I usualy go HARD lol. Cals are not in my thoughts :tongue:
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    cucumber rolls! I also avoid anything that has cream cheese or an overload of avocado.

Usually i just get a rainbow roll and a miso soup and and call it good.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Spicy Tuna/Spicy Salmon are pretty simple and not that fattening. Still, pretty high sodium if you are gonna add the extras like soy/wasabi. Overall it is actually decent calorie wise...if you order the right thing! Stay away from the tempura ;)
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Why mess around with rolls when there's sashimi to be had?
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    California rolls but only because they are delicious; not because they are low cal or healthy.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I don't know if I could ever do plain raw fish, but I could def pair something with avocado. Anyone ever have a peanut avocado roll? Aaaaaaamazing
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I usually get chirashi - it's sashimi on top of a bowl of sushi rice.

It's pretty easy to estimate things from there. And I usually only eat 1/3-1/2 of the rice.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

^^^This :smile:

just work it into your daily calories. Maybe exercise extra today to fit it in.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Uni. It's the first and last thing I order every time.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I don't limit myself much with sushi. I just stay away from the cream cheese, and soy sauce.