Gaining Muscle While Losing Fat VS. Cutting/Bulking Phase

Options
So I've read a lot of differing opinions on this. I've read you can gain muscle while losing fat at the same time, however why do most bodybuilders and fitness models etc go through cutting/bulking phases? And during their "cutting" phase do they still lift, just not as much?

Right now I'm doing insanity and turbofire and want to start lifting again, obviously I'm doing a LOT of cardio (trying to lose some fat before my brothers wedding in October) and because I'm doing so much cardio I'm concerned with losing muscle. But until my HIIT cardio fest is over should I just try to maintain the muscle I have (maybe 3 days a week/30-45 minutes?) or is it possible to gain while doing this?

Replies

• cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Definitely add in strength training. It will help preserve/add muscle mass.

Cutting/bulking is a myth, and most body builders using this method are putting on a lot of fat and eating a lot of crap for no good reason. It's certainly not a good idea for long term health.
  • ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Cutting/bulking is a myth, and most body builders using this method are putting on a lot of fat and eating a lot of crap for no good reason. It's certainly not a good idea for long term health.

So would it be smarter to focus on maintaining muscle then, or can I go all out and try to actively gain while doing all this cardio?
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You can only do both when you first start lifting. After 3-4 months you must choose one or the other. Bulking and cutting is not a myth nor are most people who do it putting on tons of fat or "eating crap." When bulking people who know what they are doing put on a minimal amount of fat, and they only bulk to mid teens or so (men) bf% before cutting back down. People who are scared to gain any fat gain muscle more slowly or not at all.

Oh, also yes absolutely people lift while cutting. They lift exactly the same as when bulking but with the understanding that their ability to add weight to their lifts may stall or even drop a bit. Below is a link to get you started on proper lifting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

I'd work at least 2 days of heavy lifting into your schedule to preserve as much muscle as possible. I'm considering doing Turbo Fire + 2 days lifting starting in January.

ETA: I also did a "bulking" cycle last winter. It was a lot of fun and produced great results.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You can only do both when you first start lifting. After 3-4 months you must choose one or the other. Bulking and cutting is not a myth nor are most people who do it putting on tons of fat or "eating crap." When bulking people who know what they are doing put on a minimal amount of fat, and they only bulk to mid teens or so (men) bf% before cutting back down. People who are scared to gain any fat gain muscle more slowly or not at all.

Oh, also yes absolutely people lift while cutting. They lift exactly the same as when bulking but with the understanding that their ability to add weight to their lifts may stall or even drop a bit. Below is a link to get you started on proper lifting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners

pretty much. when you start lifting, you will see "noob gains" even while on a calorie deficit. it's very rewarding, however don't get used to the quick results. things will taper off, but if you stick with it, they'll be steady.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Bulking and Cutting

OK, not completely myth... :smile:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/bulking-and-cutting/
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Usually upping intake of healthy foods, not so much "crap".

Macronutrients make a difference in body composition. OP, start lifting and make sure you are getting enough protein. If your goal is to lose weight, it is damn near impossible to "build" muscle at the same time. Lifting and upping protein will help you preserve muscle mass while you lose weight.
  • ohohraptor
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I'll add in 2-3 days of heavy lifting to help preserve my muscle and then after I lose a bit more fat will add more lifting days and focus more on that.

Now I just need to do it. Weights bore me to death, but I'll admit it's SO rewarding.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    So I've read a lot of differing opinions on this. I've read you can gain muscle while losing fat at the same time, however why do most bodybuilders and fitness models etc go through cutting/bulking phases? And during their "cutting" phase do they still lift, just not as much?

Right now I'm doing insanity and turbofire and want to start lifting again, obviously I'm doing a LOT of cardio (trying to lose some fat before my brothers wedding in October) and because I'm doing so much cardio I'm concerned with losing muscle. But until my HIIT cardio fest is over should I just try to maintain the muscle I have (maybe 3 days a week/30-45 minutes?) or is it possible to gain while doing this?

I am going to stay away from commenting on the Resistance Cut/Bulk issue because I'm new to resistance training and I'm learning the "theory" now....I am also researching proven results.

Having said that, it of course depends on your goals. Data show (and this is proven) that a combination of cardio and resistance training lead to the best health effects on your body. Doing both at the same time isn't difficult = but it depends on the results you want to see.

Theoretically, if you want glycogen (energy) spent via ATP on MPS (Muscle Protein Synthesis) to see results in significant muscle gains you shouldn't divert that energy for use elsewhere (ie running long distances etc). The more energy and resources your body needs to spend on other activites, the less would go to muscle building.

Again, it's all degrees. I've done both and my weight lifting friends all say "You do too much cardio" to gain significant bulk. MY goal, however, is not to gain significant bulk, but look atheletic and strong. I do competitive dance. I like to remain flexible.

To diet and gain muscle and do aerobic activity takes a very special attention to diet to make sure the numbers (not the percentages) are what you need. I would suggest if that was a goal, then to meet up with a sports nutritionist who can help you with your game plan.
  • ohohraptor
    Options

I am going to stay away from commenting on the Resistance Cut/Bulk issue because I'm new to resistance training and I'm learning the "theory" now....I am also researching proven results.

Having said that, it of course depends on your goals. Data show (and this is proven) that a combination of cardio and resistance training lead to the best health effects on your body. Doing both at the same time isn't difficult = but it depends on the results you want to see.

Theoretically, if you want glycogen (energy) spent via ATP on MPS (Muscle Protein Synthesis) to see results in significant muscle gains you shouldn't divert that energy for use elsewhere (ie running long distances etc). The more energy and resources your body needs to spend on other activites, the less would go to muscle building.

Again, it's all degrees. I've done both and my weight lifting friends all say "You do too much cardio" to gain significant bulk. MY goal, however, is not to gain significant bulk, but look atheletic and strong. I do competitive dance. I like to remain flexible.

To diet and gain muscle and do aerobic activity takes a very special attention to diet to make sure the numbers (not the percentages) are what you need. I would suggest if that was a goal, then to meet up with a sports nutritionist who can help you with your game plan.

A nutritionist is a good idea. I think I'm a starchy carb junkie and thats easily my downfall when trying to lose weight. I'm going by percentages now, I think 40/30/30.
  • dualcollision
    dualcollision Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing it for about 3 months, bu ti lift 4 days a week and jog 5 days a week and I find that I'm both losing weight and gaining muscle, You can tell just by looking at me, I eat a low calories, low fat, high protein, high fiber diet. I think it's better than cutting/bulking, which I think isn't a myth, i feel it's just he inferior way.
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    Lol@scooby link
    That article is about people who eat too far over maintenance when bulking. Please stop posting about things you don't know about.
  • ohohraptor
    Options
    I have only been doing it for about 3 months, bu ti lift 4 days a week and jog 5 days a week and I find that I'm both losing weight and gaining muscle, You can tell just by looking at me, I eat a low calories, low fat, high protein, high fiber diet. I think it's better than cutting/bulking, which I think isn't a myth, i feel it's just he inferior way.

How is it inferior? Wouldn't it be easier to lose most excess fat and then focus more on weight training?

Am I confused about what cutting/bulking is? Cutting is more cardio, higher calorie deficit diet and bulking would be higher calorie, higher protein diet with less cardio and more lifting? Right?

Now I'm conflicted. If I can lift 5 days a week AND get my cardio fix, I would have it that way, I just don't want to spend 5 hours in the gym a week lifting if I'm just wasting my time since I'm losing fat so rapidly.
  • ohohraptor
    Options
    Lol@scooby link
    That article is about people who eat too far over maintenance when bulking. Please stop posting about things you don't know about.

You look amazing! Teach me your secrets!
  • Determinednoob
    Options

How is it inferior? Wouldn't it be easier to lose most excess fat and then focus more on weight training?

Am I confused about what cutting/bulking is? Cutting is more cardio, higher calorie deficit diet and bulking would be higher calorie, higher protein diet with less cardio and more lifting? Right?

Now I'm conflicted. If I can lift 5 days a week AND get my cardio fix, I would have it that way, I just don't want to spend 5 hours in the gym a week lifting if I'm just wasting my time since I'm losing fat so rapidly.

Cutting is losing fat. Bulking is gaining mostly muscle and a little bit of fat. It is best to cut down to pretty lean before bulking, and then not bulk up to very high bf%. For men a good rule of thumb is cut to 10% bf and bulk to 15% and repeat. Not exactly sure of the numbers for a woman. When you cut you absolutely lift. The same as when bulking. Cardio optional. Srs. Here is a ton of info on all of it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options

Not true. Many like Jay Cutler, eat clean while bulking. However with enhancement it's not uncommon for them to go up 20-40lbs. It's practically impossible to eat a surplus and have it ALL convert to lean muscle gain. Fat will be part of surplus, but you do want to keep it down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    For beginners, don't worry about bulking/cutting. Just Lift heavy and eat when your hungry and you will see good results. However, you will eventually get to a point where that is no longer effective and your results will slow down/stop. At this point in time, in order to put on actual muscle..you must eat alittle more then your maintinance calories (what you were previously eating). As Determined has been saying, you don't need to get fat in order to bulk but you must get slightly more calories then your body needs. You should be gaining only one or two pounds per MONTH. Once the desired amount of muscle is achieved or you BF% gets higher then you like, simply go into a caloric deficit to "cut". Lift the same (heavy) during both the bulk and cut, excluding de-load or rest weeks.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Bulking and Cutting

OK, not completely myth... :smile:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/bulking-and-cutting/

8775-scooby-doo-scooby-doo.gif
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    bumpit
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I went from 250 to 190 by calorie deficit with whole foods, running/biking 3 days a week and strength training 2 days a week. 1 year.. I lost weight/fat and gained muscle and strength for about 3 months, then my strength gains slowed and stopped but I kept on with calorie deficit and intense cardio, HIIT until I hit my weight goal. (cutting)

Then, I went from 190 to 216 by eating surplus and lifting heavy 5x5, 5 days a week, light cardio 2 days a week, I did this until I hit my strength goals. (bulking). 6 months

now I do a balance, went from 216 to 200 in 3 months by just doing 3 days cardio, 3 days heavy lifting all while maintaining a calorie deficit. I was able to maintain about 80% of my strength gains and I somewhat transform my body.

cutting/bulking is not a fccking myth