SUPPLEMENTS: WHAT DO YOU USE?

Options
I just got a shipment of some more supplements today and that got me thinking, what are you all taking, what is it for and is it working? I recently found www.bodybuilding.com and ordered supplemements twice from them. I'm now taking: CLA 1300, Acetyl-L-Carnitine 500mg, Raspberry Ketones 500 mg, Green Coffee Bean Extract 400mg, Calcium Pyruvate 1000mg and my multivaitamin/ mineral as well as Biotin 1000mg. Just started so can't tell you my results yet. I have noticed usinf the Acetyl-L-Carnitine has boosted my mood and wanting to exercise (its for "transporting fatty acids and boosting cellular energy and support brain function...also good for ADD). What are the supplementts you're taking?

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Why did you choose to order the supplements you did?

I take B-12 since I'm vegan. And biotin for hair/nails.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    fish oil and flaxseed oil tablets. I also take glucoseamine chondroitin.
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Whey/Casein protein
    Multivitamin with no iron (for men)
    Fish Oil
    ... and if I was really into lifting I would consider Creatine.

I personally don't feel that there's sufficient evidence or research to support the use of anything else.
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Acai Berry almost a month, just started a Wellwoman Sports & Fitness blend plus a 1000g fish oil. My husband asked was I on speed tonight I have so much energy and been to boxing class tonight after a long day at work...so yeah happy x
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Why did you choose to order the supplements you did?

I take B-12 since I'm vegan. And biotin for hair/nails.

I'm also vegan:) Sadly a few of the supplements aren't (stupid capsule) but I try not to think about that. I chose them because of a few reasons. I read on Dr. Oz's website that they are good for people who store alot of fat on there bum's and thighs which is where all mine is, drives me crazy! The raspberry ketones break down the fat cells so they are easier to burn off. The acetyl-l-carnitine I got for myself and my husband (he has ADD, I have depression) it seems to help make my mood better and get some motivation to do things plus it also converts fats into energy in your cells to also burn off. The calcium pyruvate I also saw on Dr. Oz, it says that we make our own pyruvate but we need more to be able to burn off that stubborn fat from the specific thigh area (hoping thats true) and good for working out. Green coffee bean extract to speed up metabolism, CLA helps reduce body fat and multivitamin mostly o make sure i getting everything (they are vegan) biotin, same reason as you...also says that it helps metabolize fats and carbs. I'm the kind of person who didn't try any of these things before but these last 10 pounds wont budge so I'm giving it a try along with a high protein diet (Vega Sport Protein Powder)
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    I've been taking Acai Berry almost a month, just started a Wellwoman Sports & Fitness blend plus a 1000g fish oil. My husband asked was I on speed tonight I have so much energy and been to boxing class tonight after a long day at work...so yeah happy x

Nice!!!! LOL Do you know what's in the Wellwoman blend? Did you note anything with just the Acai berry?
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    Just about everything youre taking was a waste of your money.
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin d- makes me happy im seriously irritable when i dont
    l-carnitine- for when i first started the shred i was in a rough shape and it helped eliviate the pain :)
    I do take my omega 3. Does anyone have an incite on calcium supplement for a lactose individual? yay or na? i eat other vegies/fruits to get it ie collard greens, broccoli ect
    oh and 3 tsp of coconut oil a day not a supplement but good minus taste bleck
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    B complex, calcium, D, cinnamon, BCAA complex, womens multi, fish/flax/borage oil, glucosamine chondroitin, and ripped fuel 5x. plus protein powder. extra glutamine on strength days.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    I read on Dr. Oz's website....

I also saw on Dr. Oz,...

search Dr. Oz on these forums and see what most people here think of him....
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Fish oil
    Whey protein
    Creatine

Stuff I tried when I was young and foolish that I now realise was a waste of money
    BCAA [i would look at these again if I started training fasted]
    D-aspartic acid/natural testosterone boosters
    ZMA
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I only use a protein powder on days I don't get enough, and a multivitamin when my diet calls for it. Other than that please read this:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/effects-of-taking-too-many-vitamins
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, a calcium supplement, and fish oils as needed to make sure I hit my fat goals for the day.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I use an all-in-one protein powder that supplys glutamine, hmb, creatine and most bcaa's. Pretty happy with it really.

Other than that, I take glucosamine to aid knee rehabilitation and lubricate my joints - which has made a noticeable effect when lifting big.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin for women over 50, fish oil when I remember it (for my cholesterol problem), liquid vitamin D (nearly everyone's deficient in that..), hoodia gordonii (for appetite suppression, works for me!) - and I still have Tonalin CLA that I bought from an Herb Wife store that I never take. I'm sick of trying to swallow these huge pills that always stick in my throat..
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    I read on Dr. Oz's website....

I also saw on Dr. Oz,...

search Dr. Oz on these forums and see what most people here think of him....

LOL Honestly I could are less what people think. I dont even watch Dr. Oz I just wanted to TRY these things to see if it might work for ME. Its not like I went on Dr. Oz website and said to myself "oh he recommends this so Ill try it just because he says so", I also read up about it online, other peoples experiences etc for hours before actually buying it
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    Just about everything youre taking was a waste of your money.

Oh and why is that? I have already said that two of the things I bought are working for me so how is that a waste? Have to give things time and see how they go before I know about the others. Who's to say that it wont work ? Did you try them?
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    Omega 3 Fish oil
    Biotin for hair/skin
    Iron (only sometimes, I have a deficiency)
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    I only use a protein powder on days I don't get enough, and a multivitamin when my diet calls for it. Other than that please read this:

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/effects-of-taking-too-many-vitamins

OK I read it, doesn't have to do with me though. I dont even take my multivitamin every day, only if I think I havent gotten enough from diet that day. I'm vegan so I dont eat all this enriched fortified crap so thats also not a problem. It said nothing about supplements. Also I talked to my pharmacist before purchasing these items, made sure I didn't get monster doses and am taking less then recommended dose on certain ones. If I have a bad reaction Ill top but so far so good. Why else would people buy them and rate/ review them on bodybuilding.com if they didn't like them? Not like I just bought a bunch of stuff without research.
  • wjranch
    wjranch Posts: 152
    Options
    flaxseed oil / glucosamine / zinc - daily

whey protien / creatine / caffeine - workout days (5 days per week)

I honestly don't believe in making my pee super expensive, so I stick to the very basic, tried and true performers ;) I am on a limited budget you see? LOL