Oh why oh why did he have to....

Options
1:30 p.m. and I knew it was going to be the toughest day of my 28 days on MFP. I blew through over half my daily calories before 10 a.m. because I knew I was going to be pounding away on the computer on an important project most of the day. I calculated what I had left and how much I'd need for dinner. "I can do two slices of cheese pizza with some white meat chicken on 'em for extra protein, and a side salad with viniagrette on the side (for dipping my fork into just to get the flavor)." While I waited for the food to come out, I grabbed two glasses for water and drank them both. My thinking was that the water would take up some of the space that the pizza would, and the salad would too. With luck, I might not even feel like eating all of the pizza because I was too full from the water and salad.

Well, the road to H-E-Double-Toothpicks is paved with good intentions. And apparently, it is also paved with big crusty hunks of crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, buttery, savory, salty garlic bread. I say this because the server put my salad on the table (which I was ready for), but also, a big complimentary basket of garlic bread too (which I was definitely not ready for). Me around good garlic bread is like Bill Clinton around female interns.... Chris Christie around a double bacon cheeseburger... the president of Chick-fil-a around controversy. There's very little that will keep us apart. So as I'm eating my salad (and merely dipping the fork into the dressing just to get a smidgy of the flavor), the basket of garlic bread sat on the table mocking me. My fingers dropped to my smartphone, quickly entering "garlic bread" into the MFP database. Faster than gasoline prices are rising, I realized that there was no way in heck I could afford (calorie or fat wise) that garlic bread. In order to do so, I would have had to "massage" my numbers worse than a crooked accountant. Just then, right before I logged out of MFP, I did one other thing that saved me.

I noticed MeganMason9's comment to me that I have a great attitude. I saw SusieSonshine's remark that "Moment by moment, day by day, we'll reach our goal!!" I read Lornaloo3's comment that I'm "always so inspiring." And I read Nleon4's statement that I inspire her daily. All of these were from earlier today. And two things happened.

First, I cried. Real, big, full, salty tears of joy and gratitude. I have never felt so supported in my effort to lose weight and gain health as I have over the past few weeks on here. I knew right away that there was no way I was going to let any of you who have been so positive and supportive down by ending today with a Red Number. Eating wise, a few hours ago, I was standing on the edge of a very steep cliff, and you good people gently pulled me back from the precipice and gave me a big, loving, digital group hug. And you didn't even know you did until now. Never let anyone tell you that caring words of support don't matter. They DO.

After I dried my eyes, I looked around the restaurant and found a "pizza only" table that didn't have garlic bread. I explained my plight and asked them to PLEASE take it off my hands. They did, gratefully. But I was even more grateful than they were. So now it's 4:30 pm, and I have 347 calories to play with (around 800 if I walk briskly tonight). And thanks to all of you, I KNOW I'm going to see 11:59 p.m. tonite with GREEN numbers showing. They might be single or double digits, but dammit, they're going to be GREEN.

Huggs to all of you!

Scott R. in Houston, Tx.

Replies

• sonianic
    sonianic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    okay - you made me cry. This is EXACTLY how I feel about my friends on MFP. I posted a pic today and as I was reading all of the comments from everyone (so supportive and kind) i welled up. I am not even an overly emotional person - but this journey is definately an emotional one.)

Kudos to you!! It takes alot just to keep from ordering the wrong thing but to have it placed in front of you is a whole other story. You should be so proud!! The next time I am thinking about giving in, I am going to think of you and I just bet that it will be that much easier to make the right decision!!
  • ldennett
    ldennett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a major will power moment!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    BEAUTIFUL!!!!
  • Tarin626
    Tarin626 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That. Is. Awesome!

You have will power that I don't know if I will ever have and yes I find that inspirational :-)
  • what a lovely post! x
  • mauswood
    mauswood Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I really do like reading your posts, they always make me smile :)
  • LaMiaVita
    Options
    Yay!

And you know what else? If you'd caved to temptation, that brief fleeting moment of gastronomical bliss would have long passed. Instead, hours later, you're still relishing victory. And that tastes better than any garlic bread EVER.
  • Skych123
    Skych123 Posts: 96
    Options
    awwwww, so nice. its the little things that make such a big difference
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this story. I love the support from my pals on here. Any time of day they are there with an encouraging word.
  • IdahoMAT
    IdahoMAT Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Really awesome post. Life is full of "situations" with food. And I don't know about you, but the reason I am in the situation I am in weight-wise is because of the way I used to handle those situations. But times, they are a changin'. Thank you for your inspiring post!
  • AnnaMariaGirl
    AnnaMariaGirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    "I read Lornaloo3's comment that I'm "always so inspiring." And I read Nleon4's statement that I inspire her daily."

You pumped up the volume on that inspiration today!! Add another person that admires your ability to stare garlic bread (aka temptation) in the face and move past it! Great job! You are an awesome inspiration to us all!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    First of all what an awesomely told story - that was so well written I just really enjoyed reading it! And second of all it totally made me tear up! Awesome awesome achievement today - well done, and definitely summed up the power of MFP! Group digital hug time!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    This is great, congrats on your nsv :)
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT!
  • timarii
    timarii Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Delightful story! Such a joy to read that I had to share it with my skinny mini fiancé! Lol (it's okay though, he's trying to lose some belly fat)

I will remember this story whenever I am tempted and there is no room in my calorie allowance. You just instilled a desire for me to find/add more friends, support and dedication is all we need to succeed!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Such a great, inspiring story. Amazing detail. You're a great writer as well! I was thoroughly entertained and held in suspense as to what the waiter did, and chuckled that it was garlic bread. I have felt the same way and not sure I could have restrained myself. Cheers. :)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Well done, sir! :flowerforyou:

Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us! It's highly motivating!
  • sherimacquarrie
    sherimacquarrie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank You for this lovely post!! Stay strong!! {hugs}
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!