Dear women over the age of 20

Options

Replies

• ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I just had to buy juniors shorts because I am in Texas and only had 2 pairs for two weeks and the women's didn't have any that flattered me.

I shot at places like American Eagle which kind of spans the board but if I go to normal department stores, the women's clothes feel too old for a 23 year old...Any other young women have this issue? I NEVER buy clothes because of it.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Please stop shopping in the juniors department. The clothes are cheapy made. They are made to fit the bodies of teenagers (children). They run small so you can probably go down a size by moving up into "grown up" clothes. And yeah, they are made for teenagers. I don't believe you need to dress "your age" but there is a certain something special about dressing in a sophisticated manner.

agreed completely! drives me crazy when i see 30 year olds in juniors.

go ahead, have a heart attack

310846_10150787896250107_2326626_n.jpg

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Asha0714
    Asha0714 Posts: 88
    Options
    No.

They are only cheaply made if you shop at Forever21.

I have to have a young vibrant hip look when I go to work and H&M has saved me on many occasions. Im not an old lady. I dont want to wear shoulder pads and Sears clothes for grownups.

I am 100% entirely allowed to have my own style and no one else's version of classy is a blanket obligation on me.

I dress up for work, I wear sundresses and skirts that spin out when I twirl and little black mini skirts and tank tops and oversized tshirts with yoga pants and shorts with heels and Audrey Hepburn tshirts and skinny jeans with boots and off the shoulder sequined sparkliness.

I shop junior websites cause they are the only ones that carry jeans and pants for a 37" inseam that dont look like my grandma should be wearing them. I dont like the polyester and synthetic fabrics in all of the women's clothing, the patterns are ugly and old and mostly look like the fabrics on the couches in dentists offices.

I want phrases and jokes on my tshirts, half dressed women, holes cut out to show skin and long sleek lines. I like bold colors in flattering cuts.

I am working FAR TOO HARD on my beautiful body to button it up in some modesty before style get up.

And women over the age of 20? really?

No accounting for whether that person is a mom, a grandma, a banker, a mountain climber, a fashionista, a 21 year old that weighs 100 pounds, a quirky wild female drummer in a rock band......

these women that act like just because we are the same gender species etc means we are all exactly alike and only look classy one way is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

I dress fabulous. From the juniors section.

Boom. roasted. go ahead girl! :drinker:
  • Samstudent88
    Options
    well, I apologize.....I found an Elmo shirt in the boys section....it's a t shirt, it fits I'm wearing it. <3 Elmo.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Amen! And ladies please stop wearing jeans with your muffin top hanging out....I don't care if you squeezed into a size 6....not all of you is inside the pants where it belongs. Some things just shouldn't be worn on certain body types even if it's in style...wear what looks best on your body and not your 12 year old daughter.

Just because it zips, doesn't mean it fits, lol!
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    Heidi Klum is about the only woman I see wear junior's style clothing and she can work it. The rest just look stupid.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Heidi Klum is about the only woman I see wear junior's style clothing and she can work it. The rest just look stupid.

Bummer, I guess I look stupid on a regular basis.
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    Options
    I shop where the clothes work for my body! Juniors is it and I wear a 14!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I mostly shop the thrift store, so I don't always pay attention to the sizing over how they fit (if i find something not slam worn out or marked up to 15-20$ - ahum, i'm not paying that much for used jeans). But I am guilty of wearing a 21 & a 19 ... neither were low rider hip huggers, but Jr's.... lol, they fit nice but yeah. I really try to dress in my age group - lol
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I shop in the juniors department. Primarily because I'm short but I'm always very selective with what I will try on. I stick to basic things like dresses or shirts and don't even look at them if they look too young. Plus, as a student, I need the cheaper things when I can find it. No shame in trying not to break the bank,.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Guilty. Being 4'10 and 107lbs doesn't give me too many options in the regular women's department. I would have to have most of my clothes hemmed, taken in ect. Too expensive. I buy most of my clothes in the juniors/petite ladies section. They are adult looking, though. I don't like things that are too frilly, patterns ect. I dress modest, too.
  • staceface519
    Options
    I just had to buy juniors shorts because I am in Texas and only had 2 pairs for two weeks and the women's didn't have any that flattered me.

I shot at places like American Eagle which kind of spans the board but if I go to normal department stores, the women's clothes feel too old for a 23 year old...Any other young women have this issue? I NEVER buy clothes because of it.

Thats why they have a contemporary section for women in their 20's (im 27) who dont want to go into the womens section but cant fit into juniors. . .
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Bummer, I guess I look stupid on a regular basis.

Me too. :( I guess all those people who tell me how great I look when I'm dressed up are really saying "You look like an idiot". :(
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and I still shop in the juniors department from time to time. There are certain basics, like camis that it doesn't make a huge different. For the longest time, the only jeans that fit me properly without alterations were juniors. Obviously I avoid teenager-y looking clothes and graphic tees, but I've found some age appropriate stuff in there as well.
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm in my mid-(ok, now closer to late) 20s and recently starting dating a guy a few years younger. his roommates and friends are even younger.

and i HATE to admit, I recently picked up a few juniors tops and sundresses for outdoorsy outings (parks, south street seaport etc). they were much cheaper in price, and actually cute. summer clothes are easier to find in juniors bc they're flimsier by nature. and i'm percectly comfortable buying an XL in juniors to get the right fit when i'm a S/M in women's

i would NEVER wear them to work, or around my friends my age, but they're not totally wretched. and i fully-expect them to wear-out by the end of the summer.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I also wear my son's t-shirts once in awhile and he is 8yrs old, lol.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Amen! And ladies please stop wearing jeans with your muffin top hanging out....I don't care if you squeezed into a size 6....not all of you is inside the pants where it belongs. Some things just shouldn't be worn on certain body types even if it's in style...wear what looks best on your body and not your 12 year old daughter.

Just because it zips, doesn't mean it fits, lol!

Maybe they dont look good on YALL. Doesnt mean it looks bad on everyone else.

Maybe you should have said - ladies - if you are going to dress in juniors styles, make sure they fit you properly, that all of your skin is inside the clothing, that the print and design is appropriate to the venue and that you wouldnt have a cow if you were tagged in facebook wearing it.

This would have been a much nicer, much more positive message than - UR ALL DOING IT WRONG JUST CAUSE I CANT PULL IT OFF
  • staceface519
    Options
    I shop in the juniors department. Primarily because I'm short but I'm always very selective with what I will try on. I stick to basic things like dresses or shirts and don't even look at them if they look too young. Plus, as a student, I need the cheaper things when I can find it. No shame in trying not to break the bank,.

FYI juniors clothes AND womens petitie clothes are around teh same price with about a dollar difference. . . .
  • JustJennie1
    Options
    i would NEVER wear them to work, or around my friends my age, but they're not totally wretched. and i fully-expect them to wear-out by the end of the summer.

Because your friends would know you bought the dress in the juniors department and shun you for it?? :huh:
  • JustJennie1
    Options

FYI juniors clothes AND womens petitie clothes are around teh same price with about a dollar difference. . . .

Petite clothes are too short and they aren't low-rise.