I can't even do a push-up

Options
One day, Shanna, one day...

Replies

• kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I cant either. My goal is to do one before 2013- do you have a pushup goal?
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I cant either. My goal is to do one before 2013- do you have a pushup goal?

5 regular push-ups in two weeks. I'm giving myself time.
  • kateowp
    Options
    You are my hero! What are you doing to ge there?
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You are my hero! What are you doing to ge there?
    I just try to do one everyday and if I suceed, then I added another one.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Youll get it! my mom was the same, now shes doing 20+ regular and even a few clap pushups!
  • kateowp
    Options
    Let me know when you reach your goal- sounds like youre almost there!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You will get there if you keep at it! Just do them daily and you will amaze yourself over time....
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    last year was the first time i had done a push up in my entire life. and that was after 4 weeks of 6 day workouts. you can do this. it takes a little time and A LOT of practice. dont give up. :)
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I used to do pushups on the stairs (facing up obviously) before I could do a meaningful number of real ones. Seemed like it worked pretty well.
  • mandigirl30
    Options
    I can't either. I can never get the form right for regular or girly ones.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    One day, Shanna, one day...

Just stick with it and you'll get there!!!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I can't either. Only half a left foot, dawg. It'll look like a car with a flat tire on the back driver's side.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I want to be able to do 20 good ones by the end of this year!
  • Jonalee1977
    Jonalee1977 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I suck at push-ups, but I'll get there one day.
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I was there and then I did Insanity. I literally thought I was going to die doing all the variation of pushups. In the beginning I struggled to do one and refused to do the on your knees pushups. I kept pushing play and following along doing as many as I could. Some days were better than others. Now, I can do 30 standard pushups. Huge accomplishment.

You are heading in the right direction with your plan. Just keep at it and you will gain the strength.
  • WendelinTheWeird
    WendelinTheWeird Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I second doing push ups on the stairs. I've worked myself down to the second stair for work outs, and just out of curiosity learned that I can do one on the floor now. Getting there!
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I can't either and never will. I shattered my left shoulder a year and a half ago, so it's never going to be strong enough to do a strength move like that:ohwell:
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    shannajojo,

6 weeks ago I struggled to 5 in a set, since 7pm Monday I have done over 700 in 5 hours. It will take some time, but make sure you do some exercises to build the supporting muscle groups.

This is a good website with some tips

http://scoobysworkshop.com/zero-to-100-pushups-for-complete-beginners/
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    "You can do it!" -Rob Schnieder
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    A few months ago I couldn't either. I've been doing 6 different JM DVDs. I do two levels a day, five days a week. One day I do either one level or a bunch of cleaning, one day is technically rest but it's generally a weekend day so there's a lot of general running around. Last week I did 7 real push-ups. On my toes and everything. I felt like such a bad-*kitten*. The DVDs give you a lot of opportunity to practice. I was doing only girly ones and I got really good at those. My back is flat, I can touch my nose to my exercise mat and back up with no problem. After I got to that point I knew it was time to change. I now start the circuit with regular push-ups and switch to girly push-ups when my arms start shaking.