14 yr old daughter vegetarian, wants to go vegan

Options
rompers16
rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
My daughter has been a vegetarian for about a year now and as her convictions become stronger, she'd like to become a vegan. I fully support her decision but would like any advice about supplements she might need, if any. I'm assuming soy products are okay. I know, no meats, dairy, eggs and products that contain animal by-products. Are there any other things I should be aware of? Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I do not support this. I find it a decision of de-evolution but this is my opinion.

Should she decide to go through with it PLEASE be aware that nutritional needs are not easily accomplished for a 14 year old girl ( or anyone for that matter) on a vegan diet. Most plant proteins are incomplete and must be complimented with another source to gain the entire amino acid profile. Also: be aware that carbohydrates from many fibrous vegetables are metabolically inert in humans and we derive no nutritional benefit from them as we lack the enzyme cellulase.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Here's a good basic guide: http://www.theveganrd.com/food-guide-for-vegans

I would also say that iron and calcium might need supplementing, too, but much depends on whether she includes beans, greens or vegan convenience foods which are supplemented with calcium or iron in her daily diet.
  • ines25
    ines25 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    good for her i recomend u she takes daily vitamins and soy protein shake for her muscle and growth make sure she eats lots of dfferent vegetables. one time i try to be vegetarian and the only good thing the came out was that i learn to lots of veggies
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I do not support this. I find it a decision of de-evolution but this is my opinion.

Should she decide to go through with it PLEASE be aware that nutritional needs are not easily accomplished for a 14 year old girl ( or anyone for that matter) on a vegan diet. Most plant proteins are incomplete and must be complimented with another source to gain the entire amino acid profile. Also: be aware that carbohydrates from many fibrous vegetables are metabolically inert in humans and we derive no nutritional benefit from them as we lack the enzyme cellulase.

Maybe I should clarify that while I support her decision because it's based on her convictions, I am concerned that she won't be getting enough protein and other nutrients she needs at her age. Maybe I should talk to her doctor about it before I give the go ahead. Thanks for the advice.
  • jbrann911
    Options
    Depending on where you live I'd recommend you use your health insurance on this one take her to see a nutrionist and one who specializes in this type of diet. To many things are going on in the early teenage body of a young women to play quessing here get sound medical advice. The proper and safe nutrional supplements also - if you don't have health insurance consider a high end market most have for free - we have have one at shop rite.
  • Purrin1
    Purrin1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello Rompers,

As a vegan for nearly one year, I have learned that varying fruits, vegetables, and whole grains are the most essential part of obtaining all nutritional needs. It is very possible to go without any supplements and sustain a healthy lifestyle. However, if you insist on having your daughter take supplements, aim for a balanced B-Complex as well as a Multivitamin. One thing you'll want to look out for is the ever-so-common capsule with gelatin, a collagen derivative from animal by-products.

If looking for a starter brand, take a look into Deva. Nearly all of their capsules are vegan friendly. I also found them to be more inexpensive than the average veg capsule.

Hope this helps.

Veg on,

Tndncy
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

^^BULL****! If you eat proper healthy meals it is extremely healthy. Sorry for swearing but it pisses me off when people assume they know about a diet they dont even follow. I've been vegan for almost 6 years and never felt better! I would recommend a vegan multivitamin just to make sure she is getting all the vitamins and minerals. I take Deva Tiny Tabs (multvitamin and mineral). When you do research you will find out that there are MANY ways she an get everything she needs. I would also recommend using tempeh for a high protein veggie meat sub, also almond milk instead of soy milk, and alot of other veggie meats (non-gmo) are high in protein and low in calories.Make sure he has a source of protein, carbs and healthy fats in each meal. Quinoa is a complete protein and can be eaten for breakfast (cinnamon, raisins, banana et like oatmeal) or cooked with veggie broth to add to salads or stirfries. You could also get her smoothie mixes, I like the Vega Choc-o-lat, put in a blender with banana and peanut butter or almond butter and almond milk. The Vega smoothie offers 50-100% of your daily vitamin/ mineral needs depending on the portion size you use. Another good one if she needs more protein is the Vega Sport Protein powder, I started using this about 2 weeks ago and its great (25 or 26 grams protein in one serving!) I would say, just make sure she's not eating stuff like white bread and white rice or white flour, make sure what she is eating is healthy vegan and not just crap vegan food (yes there is that too lol) Lots of veggies, fruits, veggie meat, tofu, tempeh, nuts (almonds are best) raw almond butter is amazing. A great snack is an apple sliced up with cinnamon, a tbsp raw almond butter, some chopped honey date and coconut milk yogurt (soy yogurt is just not as good) it tastes like apple pie but is a great snack! You could also use peanut butter for that. A good source of vitamin b-12 is nutritional yeast, you can sprinkle it on popcorn or make a "cheeze" sauce for mac and cheese etc. Its also high in protein. If you look up online it will tell you that milk is one of the worst sources of calcium, your body takes in about 35% I believe is what I read and things like kale was up around 45% so just read up on things your not sure about, its helped me alot and you can get alot of yummy recipes!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Maybe I should clarify that while I support her decision because it's based on her convictions, I am concerned that she won't be getting enough protein and other nutrients she needs at her age. Maybe I should talk to her doctor about it before I give the go ahead. Thanks for the advice.

Quite frankly, if you're that concerned about her getting appropriate nutrition I would advise you to seek out a vegan-friendly registered dietitian. The average MD is not educated in "common" nutrition, let alone vegan nutrition.

She should take a high quality B12 supplement. As VergingOnVegan said, you only need to supplement iron and calcium if she is not eating a well-rounded diet. However, with ANY diet one should be aware of what they are consuming; eating animals doesn't suddenly provide everything that's needed. I would advise any parent to be concerned about their child's diet.

As to complete proteins, basically if she eats a legume and a grain each day there is no issue whatsoever with getting essential amino acids. (see for example: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/tc/healthy-eating-vegetarian-diets-organic-foods). The fear of not getting enough protein on a vegetarian or vegan diet is based on myths that it's hard to do. There are vegan athletes who train at high intensities and I'm sure require more protein than a 14 year old girl and they meet those requirements just fine. I would encourage you to go through reliable nutritional information WITH your daughter to learn more. The site mentioned above is good, as are the books Becoming Vegan and Vegan for Life.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    You could also both have a sit-down with a dietician who knows about vegan diets, in addition to you both doing research. When my cousin did this (around the same age) my aunt agreed based on twice-yearly blood tests (what tests exactly I don't know) and that the cousin learn to cook her own main dishes. It's turned out well. A couple of years later my cousin is healthy and a good cook to boot.

Protein actually shouldn't be a problem on a well-planned diet but... well... she's 14. It's as easy to be a junk food vegetarian/vegan as it is to be a junk food omnivore, so just don't let her fall into that trap.
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    ohh I forgot to add that beans are a great source of protein and fiber:) Also I think if I could go through a pregnancy be vegan and have an extremely healthy and insanely smart daughter that I must be doing something right...even though people say no dont be vegan when your pregnant! Research research!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    filessharenatorcom_YG6vv_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s320x240-181195.gif
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Also - I commend you for being open and supporting her ethical beliefs. It's good to educate oneself before becoming vegan (mostly self-education as so many are misinformed). That way you know how to answer those questions about protein, calcium, etc, without even thinking. I would really check out Vegan for Life.
  • PerfectAndi
    Options
    Talk to her (or your doctor). I know a girl from my graduating class was (is, she's not dead) vegtarian and her doctor helped her find out what suppliments she needed.
  • lovetobethin86
    Options

Quite frankly, if you're that concerned about her getting appropriate nutrition I would advise you to seek out a vegan-friendly registered dietitian. The average MD is not educated in "common" nutrition, let alone vegan nutrition.

She should take a high quality B12 supplement. As VergingOnVegan said, you only need to supplement iron and calcium if she is not eating a well-rounded diet. However, with ANY diet one should be aware of what they are consuming; eating animals doesn't suddenly provide everything that's needed. I would advise any parent to be concerned about their child's diet.

As to complete proteins, basically if she eats a legume and a grain each day there is no issue whatsoever with getting essential amino acids. (see for example: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/tc/healthy-eating-vegetarian-diets-organic-foods). The fear of not getting enough protein on a vegetarian or vegan diet is based on myths that it's hard to do. There are vegan athletes who train at high intensities and I'm sure require more protein than a 14 year old girl and they meet those requirements just fine. I would encourage you to go through reliable nutritional information WITH your daughter to learn more. The site mentioned above is good, as are the books Becoming Vegan and Vegan for Life.

All I have to say to this is...AWESOME:)
  • peacelovetwins
    Options
    Hi - honestly the american diet has way too much protien and fat - you might want to consider both reading the china study or watch the movie - whole foods all the way and she will a long healthy life. a vegan nutritionish is a good idea to learn more and understand but protien is plentiful in vegetables/fruits and can be done in a healthy way. education is the key. you can be healthy or not healthy with any diet or lifestyle -
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would ask a doctor about it. No one here can give definite answers, but her doctors can. I would support her as well, but I would NOT let my daughters do this without first asking a doctor and getting their approval and opinion on what supplements and things she should take. I was vegan for a short while, and I just took my multivitamin with extra calcium and something else, I can't even remember now. Magnesium I think. But being so young, that's a little different as she's still developing.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I second everyone who recommended you seek out a dietician/nutritionist. For an adult, it's OK to learn through your own reading and trial-and-error, but for a kid, it's very important to get it right. She's still growing, so proper nutrition is key. Not getting enough protein or B-12 can be VERY dangerous for anyone, but particularly for a kid, considering B-12 is necessary for proper brain function.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The one supplement she will definitely need is B12, as there are no reliable, natural non-animal sources for this (a vegan B12 supplement will be synthetic). Other than that, I would strongly recommend the book Vegan For Life, which includes information on veganism at any stage on the lifecycle. Oh, and about proteins needing to be combined, research showed this to be untrue about 30 years ago--your body does need a variety of amino acids, but as long as you regularly consume a variety of food, there is no need to specifically combine proteins in a single meal.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Protein would not be the bigger problem. There are plenty of supplements and ways to get protein with out meat or animal products! Nuts have lots in it, whey protein drinks (just make sure you fully read the ingredients because some may have a form of milk in it) soy is great, but don't go over board with it. There is a delicious rice type food called tempeh, it cooks nicely and when flavored with soy sauce or teriyaki it tastes good with almost anything. I made a vegan chili once with tempeh rather than meat! Came out great. If she eats plenty of dark green veggies she will get plenty of iron, LOTS of spinach for potassium. They also have some dairy free alternatives to cheese to add to it for some flavor change. The biggest thing I could say is just make sure she eats more veggies than starches and junk food. You can be vegan and gain weight! ALWAYS read the labels, and let her know that once she goes vegan and has been for some time, if she wants to change her mind her body may need a slow re-adjustment.

But most importantly over anything, consult the doctor. :)
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I do not support this.

Well ****, let's call the whole thing off then...