14 yr old daughter vegetarian, wants to go vegan

Options

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know:

1. How does eating animals suddenly give you everything you need nutritionally speaking? Do people show concern about omni friends' micronutrient consumption? Or do you ask your friends if they get enough fiber or vitamin D or vitamin K?

2. Do you recommend that omnivore friends with children see a doctor/dietitian/nutritionist to make sure their children are getting everything they need? Or if they eat a SAD do you just let it go?

Rhetorical questions, really. I realize the OP asked a question and she's getting answers. Just curious as to how concerned people are about kids eating a SAD and if they would ever say anything, because a lot of people have no problem expressing "concern" when someone eats a veg*n diet.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Not trying to pick a fight,...

...and there's usually where the fight starts.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since I was 11. I did the vegan thing a couple of times when I was about your daughter's age. I wouldn't make a big deal about it- in all likelihood it won't last long. Its extremely restrictive and her friends will tease her. Make her take a multivitamin and a B12 supplement and wait it out. If you make a big deal, she may end up sticking with it out of spite. She's not going to get any nutritional deficiencies short term, especially with vitamins and a B12 supplement.

If it lasts longer than a month, buy a book on vegan nutrition and both you and her read it and discuss.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know:

1. How does eating animals suddenly give you everything you need nutritionally speaking? Do people show concern about omni friends' micronutrient consumption? Or do you ask your friends if they get enough fiber or vitamin D or vitamin K?

It doesn't. But vegans are definitely at risk for deficiency in certain vitamins and minerals if they don't plan our their diets mindfully. I'm saying this as a vegan. I pay attention to things like calcium and protein that I didn't think about before eliminating dairy products. Same with B-12, since it's not found in any plant foods.
  • paperandink
    Options
    Personally I would not support my 14 year old daughter to go that extreme (if I had one) , but that is your choice in the end of the day.

Please make very sure that you u understand the potential down sides to a diet high in soy products.... This is just one link, but there are others if you google "soy issues"....

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/09/18/soy-can-damage-your-health.aspx

Vegan diets don't have to be high in soy products, either. There are lots of other alternatives to meat and dairy.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    A friend of mine went vegan based on his convictions of proper treatment for animals...i only give him a bit of stick for it. He did lose a lot of weight, and I helped him with research on proper proteins to make up for anything missing, etc...

not to hijack the thread, but a question for vegans/vegetarians out there. It has been my experience from friends that once you abstain from meat for a prolonged period of time, you lose whatever enzymes that allow for the breakdown of the meat....correct?...or bunko science put out there by carnivores...fyi (me, total carnivore)

I've heard that happens to *some* people, but if it's true I don't know what that would look like numerically speaking. Of course, the enzyme to digest lactose past childhood was a response to environmental conditions and is by no means "normal" for humanity as a whole. And some people develop lactose intolerance later in adulthood So, I guess it would make sense that it could happen for digestion of animal meat.
  • sseketa
    sseketa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I understand the convictions that drive this. I made similiar decisions when I was 18 and had this lifestyle for about 7 years (I no longer do, now I just limit my meat). There are something that you need to know and maybe you already do!

1. Being a vegan and getting everything that you need to have in a proper diet (for an athlete or teenager especially) is expensive. If you have the money, by all means, but research the costs to do it correctly. If you can afford all of the necessary supplements after talking to a Dr. or nutritionist, then by all means, but if you can't then don't do it. People who tell you that you can do it without the supplements are full of it, plain and simple, but they do believe it.

2. Someone already mentioned this before, but she should get blood tests more often to monitor how things are going. Also expensive if you don't have insurance.

3. Taking her out to eat is will be really hard :) I know that's simple, but sooo true depending on where you live.

Good luck with it, just do all your research first from reliable sources, not just the quack sites out there that talk about healthy vegan living. Find the good ones and then talk to your Dr. or nutritionist.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    I'm curious to know:

It doesn't. But vegans are definitely at risk for deficiency in certain vitamins and minerals if they don't plan our their diets mindfully. I'm saying this as a vegan. I pay attention to things like calcium and protein that I didn't think about before eliminating dairy products. Same with B-12, since it's not found in any plant foods.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make, maybe not successfully. Really the question is why aren't ALL people concerned with this? Eating a SAD puts people at risk of being malnourished, but you don't see as many people wringing their hands over it.

You say you pay attention to things like calcium and protein - note that I pointed out micronutrients. I'm sure a lot of people eating a SAD are deficient in some micronutrients, but you don't see people getting all worked up about it. Why isn't everyone telling SAD eaters to expand their horizons, eat a variety of vegetables, eat in season, eat ethnic food - anything to get them to expand what they eat and get adequate nutrition?
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know:

2. Do you recommend that omnivore friends with children see a doctor/dietitian/nutritionist to make sure their children are getting everything they need? Or if they eat a SAD do you just let it go?

Rhetorical questions, really. I realize the OP asked a question and she's getting answers. Just curious as to how concerned people are about kids eating a SAD and if they would ever say anything, because a lot of people have no problem expressing "concern" when someone eats a veg*n diet.

3. Do people ask if their friend's child who is allergic to milk, nuts, half of the berries out there, etc if they have enough vitamins for the day? LOL

This is so true and cracks me up. It also amazes me just how rude some people (not talking about on the site) can be when they find out you're vegan. To the OP- she will need to make sure she knows a lot about veganism to defend herself against her peers. At least IMO, and I'm an adult, my co-workers have said things on more than one occasion about it.
  • stagegoddess
    Options
    ugh, too many kids at that age want to do everything so they try for extremes and it can backfire. you should really see a nutritionist with her to make sure you both realize how much goes into this type of lifestyle/diet. it can be much more expensive than a more traditional diet, especially if the entire family isn't partaking in it--twice as many meals prepared each day. i have seen people turn towards junk food that could fall into the vegan category but not be healthy. it can also be ostracizing for a girl her age (i teach and see this stuff happen) to be prohibited from joining her friends at pizza/burger joint hang outs.

as far as her convictions, that's cool to feel so vehemently about, she could end up hating it and change back but its good to stand up for your beliefs at that age.

i myself am very against the meat free life but that's from my family's background and meat is freaking delicious. i really like the Mediterranean style of diet and have been moving in that direction slowly as to not shock my system.

good luck
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I think its great that she wants to be a vegan, just to be clear, I'm not a vegan. I dont think there would be a problem as long as she is fueling her body properly, but that goes for any nutritional lifestyle, not just vegan. My best friend is vegan, she doesnt have any problems, she is extremely healthy, and she has been a vegan since she was 13. You can get all the nutrients, including calcium calcium and protein, from other sources other than meat and dairy.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I understand the convictions that drive this. I made similiar decisions when I was 18 and had this lifestyle for about 7 years (I no longer do, now I just limit my meat). There are something that you need to know and maybe you already do!

1. Being a vegan and getting everything that you need to have in a proper diet (for an athlete or teenager especially) is expensive. If you have the money, by all means, but research the costs to do it correctly. If you can afford all of the necessary supplements after talking to a Dr. or nutritionist, then by all means, but if you can't then don't do it. People who tell you that you can do it without the supplements are full of it, plain and simple, but they do believe it.

2. Someone already mentioned this before, but she should get blood tests more often to monitor how things are going. Also expensive if you don't have insurance.

3. Taking her out to eat is will be really hard :) I know that's simple, but sooo true depending on where you live.

Good luck with it, just do all your research first from reliable sources, not just the quack sites out there that talk about healthy vegan living. Find the good ones and then talk to your Dr. or nutritionist.

Eating vegan is so extremely cheap, it's hilarious. Beans are like $1 a bag (or can for that matter) tofu is $2 a package (compared to $5 a pound for hamburger or chicken???), tempeh is $2 a package, fruits & veggies can replace junk food, Nuts & "convenience" vegan foods can be a LITTLE pricey but if you eat the convenience foods in moderation and eat nuts for instance as a normal serving size, it's no more expensive than anything else you'd buy. Just think of all the money you're saving her for medical bills later in life ;)
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I do not support this. I find it a decision of de-evolution but this is my opinion.

Should she decide to go through with it PLEASE be aware that nutritional needs are not easily accomplished for a 14 year old girl ( or anyone for that matter) on a vegan diet. Most plant proteins are incomplete and must be complimented with another source to gain the entire amino acid profile. Also: be aware that carbohydrates from many fibrous vegetables are metabolically inert in humans and we derive no nutritional benefit from them as we lack the enzyme cellulase.

^^BULL****! If you eat proper healthy meals it is extremely healthy. Sorry for swearing but it pisses me off when people assume they know about a diet they dont even follow. I've been vegan for almost 6 years and never felt better! I would recommend a vegan multivitamin just to make sure she is getting all the vitamins and minerals. I take Deva Tiny Tabs (multvitamin and mineral). When you do research you will find out that there are MANY ways she an get everything she needs. I would also recommend using tempeh for a high protein veggie meat sub, also almond milk instead of soy milk, and alot of other veggie meats (non-gmo) are high in protein and low in calories.Make sure he has a source of protein, carbs and healthy fats in each meal. Quinoa is a complete protein and can be eaten for breakfast (cinnamon, raisins, banana et like oatmeal) or cooked with veggie broth to add to salads or stirfries. You could also get her smoothie mixes, I like the Vega Choc-o-lat, put in a blender with banana and peanut butter or almond butter and almond milk. The Vega smoothie offers 50-100% of your daily vitamin/ mineral needs depending on the portion size you use. Another good one if she needs more protein is the Vega Sport Protein powder, I started using this about 2 weeks ago and its great (25 or 26 grams protein in one serving!) I would say, just make sure she's not eating stuff like white bread and white rice or white flour, make sure what she is eating is healthy vegan and not just crap vegan food (yes there is that too lol) Lots of veggies, fruits, veggie meat, tofu, tempeh, nuts (almonds are best) raw almond butter is amazing. A great snack is an apple sliced up with cinnamon, a tbsp raw almond butter, some chopped honey date and coconut milk yogurt (soy yogurt is just not as good) it tastes like apple pie but is a great snack! You could also use peanut butter for that. A good source of vitamin b-12 is nutritional yeast, you can sprinkle it on popcorn or make a "cheeze" sauce for mac and cheese etc. Its also high in protein. If you look up online it will tell you that milk is one of the worst sources of calcium, your body takes in about 35% I believe is what I read and things like kale was up around 45% so just read up on things your not sure about, its helped me alot and you can get alot of yummy recipes!

^^^This. I too am tired of all the "incomplete protein" and "hard to meet nutritional needs" nonsense. As compared to the Standard American Diet (SAD) which is over-sodiumed (strokes, kidney damage), over-proteined (heart disease, osteoporosis), and over-fatted (fill in the blank)...you simply have to become educated about the diet, and basically if you eat a balanced one its no big deal. I'm currently involved in a long-term study on veganism with one of the best medical research hospitals in the world - NIH is now running long term studies on it - there's growing evidence about reductions in heart disease and its underlying factors, the diet has been shown to reverse Type Two Diabetes (as have some others) - and maybe all the people who blah-blah the same old same old should simply follow this advice and go see a nutritionist who knows about the diet and is open to it, like the fine people I'm working with. As first responder I quoted did point out teenagers have specific nutritional needs so by all means find someone with a developmental focus...if you want to message me I'll see what I can do to help scare up some resources, should you need it.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    2.People who tell you that you can do it without the supplements are full of it, plain and simple, but they do believe it.

I get everything I need through food, I don't take anything but "vitamin d" and B12... I'm perfectly healthy .. I also go out to eat all the time, and yes it is hard I agree but it can be done.. If there is something in the dish you can't/ won't eat ask them to take it off.

But I do understand where you are coming from.. :)
  • VeganZombie13
    Options

Eating vegan is so extremely cheap, it's hilarious. Beans are like $1 a bag (or can for that matter) tofu is $2 a package (compared to $5 a pound for hamburger or chicken???), tempeh is $2 a package, fruits & veggies can replace junk food, Nuts & "convenience" vegan foods can be a LITTLE pricey but if you eat the convenience foods in moderation and eat nuts for instance as a normal serving size, it's no more expensive than anything else you'd buy. Just think of all the money you're saving her for medical bills later in life ;)

Agree!
  • Aldino557
    Options
    I'm 55, not 14. Some two years ago I decided to go vegetarian and eventually totally vegan. I gave myself a vitamin D and B, and K deficiency, as well as an Iron deficiency. This came up during regular check ups with my doctor.

Now, the fault was entirely my own. If I had supplemented this diet correctly this would not have taken place.
    I would say that since your daughter is a growing young woman, you need to have a healthy fat intake as well as supplement vitamins. Extremely low fat and low calorie diets can make it difficult to maintain the correct hormone balance required for a young developing body.
    The ideal way is to get all the nutrients needed from the food you eat. However, this is not always possible. So it would be best to make an appointment with your physician (or nutritionist) and get some baseline levels first. Then you can monitor your daughter to see that she has the proper protein/fat/carbohydrate ratios and the correct vitamin supplementation (if needed).
    Keep track of your hair. Human hair is a great indicator of health. Glossy healthy hair, and healthy nails are a good sign that your nutrition is adequate. If the hair and nails become brittle, or thin, it's a major indicator that your health is poor.
  • sseketa
    sseketa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sure :) You only take two supplements, which is impressive. You can certainly limit the number that you really need to take through vegetables and fruits etc., but depending on where you live and seasonal availability of certain items it is almost impossible to do it all. Also, the time spent making food goes through the roof and I'm not certain that a 14 year old wants to spend 1-2 hours a night cooking. I love it, but I'm sure that at 14 I had better things to do :p

I didn't say that going out was impossible, just really hard. Often wonderful convictions lead people to jump into things without thinking about the simple things.

To address an earlier comment. Yes, beans and tofu are cheap. Fruit and vegetables are only cheap in the summer or if you live on the coast. Supplements are not. Also, a teenager will absolutely be interested in those convenience foods, especially as she gets older and time becomes more and more scarce. However, you are right about the health benefits when this is done right! So again, I wish this mother good luck and extensive research.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You guys are making this in to a way bigger deal than it needs to be.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    ugh, too many kids at that age want to do everything so they try for extremes and it can backfire. you should really see a nutritionist with her to make sure you both realize how much goes into this type of lifestyle/diet. it can be much more expensive than a more traditional diet, especially if the entire family isn't partaking in it--twice as many meals prepared each day.

Why would you say this? I've found the diet to be cheaper than a regular diet and as for twice as many meals - why would you do that? You can cook in advance all the of the beans/legumes, use them as sides for everyone else, have veggies on hand for everyone...build veggie casseroles and add meat/dairy for everyone else - all it takes is planning. As for dairy replacements, almond milk or soy (whatever the nutritionist would recommend is in addition to dairy that's true but you might find some of your family prefer it.
    i have seen people turn towards junk food that could fall into the vegan category but not be healthy. it can also be ostracizing for a girl her age (i teach and see this stuff happen) to be prohibited from joining her friends at pizza/burger joint hang outs.

Well I see people on junk food all the time that's NOT vegan and it is definitely not healthy. She's a teenager, she's surrounded by people eating crap. She could very well turn out to be the positive influence in the group, who knows. As for the "ostracization" at pizza places, etc., she's going to have to ask herself about her convictions and deal with the potential conflicts between social demands and diet - welcome to the world. Fortunately some of those places are beginning to offer options.

There's so much bias out there it's hard to know where to start...
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to get her iron and b12 supplements if she's really serious about this (worth doing as a plain ol' vegetarian anyways) but wow everyone needs to take it down a notch. She's 14. She's experimenting, and that's OK. It's not gonna kill her to cut out animal products for a few months. As long as there are good healthy varied foods at home and she makes sure to eat a lot of beans, lentils, tofu, peanut butter, etc. and pops an iron/b12 in the morning, she's going to be just fine.

Experimenting with veganism is probably best done as a teen when your responsible adult parent is at home making sure you eat the things you need. It's the first time on their own 19-20 year old vegans that really hurt themselves with poor diets because they don't know how to cook.