Cottage Cheese....Like it or not?

Options
So, call me crazy, but I have NEVER eaten cottage cheese alone. I've only ever had it if it has been cooked in something so I don't really know what it tastes like. I have been wanting to try it, perhaps with fruit because I have heard that is good together. Would like to get input on how people like it and how you eat it!!

Replies

• gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    I love it with strawberries or kiwifruit. I'm sure any fruit will do!
  • Smrhoads
    Smrhoads Posts: 31
    Options
    Salt and pepper for me. Just finished my half cup bedtime snack!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    OMG LOVEEEEEE me some cottage cheese! Grew up eating it but stopped for a long time because those around me didnt like it. Now I really enjoy it all the more because its GOOD for me! :D I eat it plain jane!
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I love love love it by itself, but I'm unsure of which brand to buy. I bought one a while back that was really nasty and tasted nothing like what cottage cheese should taste like.

Which brands do you guys like best?
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Love cottage cheese. Add some black pepper, pineapple, or blueberries. Use it in place of Ricotta Cheese. A nice snack in the evening by itself. Love the stuff, anything goes.

Avoid the Wal-Mart brand, it is too bitter for my taste. We have Publix down here and their store brand of 2% is excellent, unfortunately you do not have any Publix's up your way.
  • returningmyfatsuit
    returningmyfatsuit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I prefer it by itself, sometimes with pepper.

If you don't like it, you can always cook it into something. When I have too much to eat, I make it into oatmeal cottage cheese pancakes. You'd never know it's in there!

I love it!
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Like it plain or with fruit, Pears are my favorite. Also use it to cook with. You should give it a try, its delicious.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I had it tonight as a side dish plain. I eat it that way a lot because having it with crackers would add to many carbs to my day.
  • returningmyfatsuit
    returningmyfatsuit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I buy "no name"
    It's cheap. I have bought other brands (maybe Dairyland or Beatrice) and can't say I've ever noticed any difference among any of them!
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    Love it with lemon pepper and avocado or tomatoes and goes with pretty much any kind of fruit! I also put in pasta sauce
  • countrygal02012
    countrygal02012 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you blend 1/2 cup of cottage cheese until smooth with Splenda and cinnamon, then mix it up with a chopped apple - it is sooooo good :love:
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love my cottage cheese with mandarin oranges or fresh pineapple. YUMMY!
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to eat it, smell it or even look at it since HS Honors Bio class. We made it in class. YUCK.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat it. Tastes gross to me and the texture freaks me out.
    My husband loves it! He eats it straight out of the container, no add-in.

The only way I will eat it, is in a protein shake, then it's blended and doesn't taste like cottage cheese anymore :tongue:
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like sliced peaches on top of my cottage cheese! I rarely eat dairy anymore, but I always grew up eating cottage cheese with black pepper as a side to every meal - usually some form of potatoes, meat, and cottage cheese with bread and butter for every meal with the family.
  • kristapennie
    kristapennie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you blend 1/2 cup of cottage cheese until smooth with Splenda and cinnamon, then mix it up with a chopped apple - it is sooooo good :love:

I have to try this...never thought to BLEND it!

I've always hated the texture of cottage cheese!
  • SFBarbear
    SFBarbear Posts: 146
    Options
    LOVE IT and I miss it dearly on my Keto diet. I can basically have 3 tablespoons but don't trust myself enough to stop.
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's funny, I like it but only once in a while... like twice a year. If I buy a 500 ml container I can only get through about a third of it.

Sadly, my favourite way to enjoy cottage cheese is in lasagne. :blushing:
  • cybelenoire
    cybelenoire Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do love cottage cheese. Preferably with pineapple.
  • Aventuria
    Aventuria Posts: 151
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, if it is cooked in dishes or by itself - yummy!

I eat it a lot as a snack (sometimes with a bit of pepper and chili) together with raw veggies.as a kind of dip!

I don't like the sweet version (eg with cinnamon) though... :-/

Have a great day!