Who is here for reasons other than “getting skinny”?

Options
124»

Replies

• xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    im here for my own happiness. if that means getting skinny that's fine. thing is, im still classified as 'overweight' but im happy. but recently i have learned to love myself. for the first time in my life, i feel good about my body. because i feel good about who i am on the inside.
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm on here to keep me aware of what I'm eating. NOT To lose weight.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've had a catalogue of health disasters over the last few years, they are listed on my profile if you want to know about them!

But last year I finally had the chance to take control and came on here to regain my health and fitness more than any thing else. Having had a near death experience and also a near-paralysis experience I relish every day that I am alive and able to use my legs, so am trying to make the most of it.

I lost 23 lbs in the meantime and actually could do with losing another stone, so now, only after regaining my fitness and zest for life and sports, I am looking into the nutrition and what I may be able to do about that last 14lbs. If I don't lose it I won't beat myself up, but my big goal is to run a marathon next year if I can.

Feel free to add me if you like x
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    I'm here to get nudes from women with self esteem issues about their weight. Or women that have recently lost a lot of weight but aren't used to getting attention from a male so don't know what to do because they haven't figured out that puts them way out of my league yet,

Feel free to friend me ladies :D:D

'
    Is "look good naked" a good reason?

That is subjective and would require photographic evidence to ascertain the value of "good", where X is good, and Y is your nudes plus my inbox.
  • amystyran
    amystyran Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i'm here to help my grandma lose weight, because if she see's me losing it, then she does too! (which is working, she's lost 1st 3lbs so far!)

and after being on here for a few weeks, i decided that i want to train for Race for Life UK in memory of my late Auntie, so i'm on here to control my diet and record my progress, in a hope that i'll be fit enough next year to run the race :)
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I came here to get healthy after being diagnosed with melanoma skin cancer. I have never really had a lot of weight to lose (in fact, I dropped 25 pounds after being diagnosed with cancer, from stress, anxiety and depression, but I became skinny fat and gained some of the weight back anyways). I am at a high risk for reoccurance, and my oncologist stressed the importance of eating the right foods and adopting a Mediterranean style diet, which I have successfully adopted parts of. Whether or not it will help protect me (in addition to the duh stuff of using SPF consistently, etc) is another story, but it's all I can do to try and protect myself from becoming a cancer patient again.

Additionally, through the battery of tests that I've been through in the last 3 1/2 years, I also show a lot of signs that I may have lupus, and staying active and eating healthy keeps the flares from popping up. I learned about this after being diagnosed with mono last winter.

I firmly believe that without eating better and staying active, I will die young. My body is kind of prone to being a medical mess. :angry: But things stay in check when I take care of myself, and that's why I'm here. Don't get me wrong, there's a vanity side to it too, but it's pretty small compared to the big picture stuff.
  • VenusEnvy
    VenusEnvy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've always been thin, so that's not an issue.

I've had heart problems since I was 19 (110 lbs and active). My original doctors dismissed it and assumed it had to be "lifestyle" even though my tox screens were always clean -- I didn't even smoke or drink. I had an ablation procedure to correct a heart rhythm problem at 25 and ended up with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. It meant I couldn't take a shower without passing out or stand in line at the grocery store without my heart rate reaching 175 beats per minute going by my HRM. People couldn’t understand that I couldn’t do things like wait in line because I “looked healthy.” My job at the time involved standing all day and my boss sure as hell didn’t understand. By 26, I was on beta blockers to lower my heart rate, meds to increase my blood pressure (3x a day), steroids, and an antidepressant on the belief it could help regulate my struggling autonomic nervous system.

Three months ago, I had major surgery due to a 9 inch tumor and cancer was discovered. Totally unrelated to anything I've been through, of course. I’ve been active and I eat healthy all this time. Sometimes, **** just happens. I have a rare form that's only been seen 200 times in medical literature so there isn't much of a proven treatment plan. I am 32 years old now.

Yet here I am. I am able to walk, stand, do yoga, and heck, I ran 3 miles this morning. That’s why I am here. I keep fighting.
  • adblanche
    Options
    Although I won't lie and say that getting thinner isn't a plus, I've completely changed my diet and exercise to deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Although I've always struggled with clinical depression, after being diagnosed with PTSD I spiraled pretty hard.

I'm dedicated to working through my illness without medication (no judgment for people that use them, I just hate drugs of any kind in my body) and the only thing that allows me to sleep/not have panic attacks/not have severe depression is eating whole foods and exercising.

Yoga and running are my two main ones right now, but I use P90X strength training videos to keep my muscle mass.

Wishing everyone the best of luck!!
  • HellySuccess
    HellySuccess Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I admit, I do want to get slim and fit, and MFP is a great way to keep track and keep on track. That said, I'm a 56-year old breast cancer survivor (and partial mastectomy, chemo and radiation survivor!) and I don't want to go through that again. Ever since the diagnosis and treatment in 2005, I've been living a sort of half life, and I want to get to feeling like I'm fully alive again.

Also, I've been on antidepressants for years, and more recently on meds to control high blood pressure, and I'd like to kick both those "habits." I know that exercise and healthy eating are the keys to freedom. I've been very self-critical and hard on myself for as long as I can remember, and getting to a healthier weight with better toned muscles will make some of the screaming meanies in my head shut the hell up!

So I'm here for my mental and physical health, first and foremost. Working off excess pounds and toning muscle is my way of reclaiming and celebraing life.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm also already slender and not here to get skinny. I am on maintenance and need to eat well above what mfp sets as maintenance in order to actually maintain and not to lose. I am working on building muscle, but I'm relaxed about that. I'm just here to learn more about food, health, what my body needs.
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Im here to lose all the fat I gained due to depression, I know what it feels like to be really fit and athletic and I miss that feeling, I miss the confidence, I also came here to perve on fit guys (im only windowshopping :smokin: )
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    In addition to vanity, self-esteem, and looking my best in a difficult job market, I want to maintain my weight or lose a couple of pounds to avoid serious obesity-related illnesses and conditions suffered by my parents and other family members. They include:

Hypertension
    High blood pressure
    Stroke
    Cardiac Bypass Surgery
    Type II Diabetes
    Dementia

I also don't want to complicate health conditions over which I have no control with excess weight -- a problem that I can control.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I often feel that in this forum "skinny" is used as a straw man. Most people want to be healthily trim, not skinny, and that alone is enough of a challenge.
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is vanity to want to be able to shop at a regular store rather than ordering size 5x clothes online. I would LOVE to be NORMAL, skinny isn't even on my radar.

Also, I would love to no longer have high blood pressure, asthma trouble, and intense knee pain. I'd like for my heart and kidneys to continue working for at least another 50 years.

If I also look nicer, I am not going to complain.
  • MsTru2U
    MsTru2U Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've had insomnia my whole life. Most of that time was spent either not sleeping (therefore being too tired to exercise/put effort into being healthy) or on heavy prescription sleeping pills, which made me feel zombie-like and made me feel like I was hungover every day. Not good.

I, too, battle with insomnia, and the meds gave me that "Zombie" feel as well. I recently started exercising, so It's good to know that soon my exercise should help me get a better nights rest. I'm really looking forward to not seeing the clock every hour throughout the night
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I joined mfp after reaching my first goal through dieting and light activity. I joined because I needed an avenue to see many different ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle and even increase my fitness level. The fitness pals and the forums encourage me everyday.