Plateau after only 4lbs?

13»

Replies

• Long_and_Lean
    Long_and_Lean Posts: 175 Member
    What you are eating is probably the main problem that you are having. Many people benefit greatly from eating healthy, whole foods and reducing the carbs (doesn't have to be drastic, if you are overall healthy and have no food addictions/binging/hunger issues) and increasing healthy fat and protein.

My diary is open, and my goals are set specifically for what makes me healthy and lose weight.

Thanks for the input, I've checked out your diary -- it looks great! Overall, my diet is not that different from yours (despite what people say here, those "quick added calories" don't consist of junk food, lol. I'd be starving if they were.) with the exception of the overall protein content. With that in mind, I have two questions:

1) I've tried a higher protein diet before and it made me nauseous and I felt weak. I was getting enough calories. Any idea why?
    2) The clinical studies I've read (i.e. NOT broscience) suggest that at this stage in the weight loss game, macros have a minimal effect if at all (jury's still out). What are your thoughts on that?

macros are largely irrelevant to overall weight loss and more important to body composition. That said. With your activity level you should regularly be eating at least 2k. Assuming that's accurate.

That's what I thought, and I woke up one day and realized I was close to 190lbs :sad: So that's when I started cutting calories by about 200 calories to start. When that didn't work, I cut more. When you do that, it kind of forces you to fill your plate with vegetables and whole grains if you don't want to starve all day (which I don't. I can't stand feeling hungry). I also think overall daily activity has something to with it. My day job involves a lot of sitting, so all that activity is crammed into evenings and weekends (I have no life outside of working out and dance).
  • Long_and_Lean
    I noticed you don't track your sodium intake in your food diary, alot of the things your eating MIGHT be high in sodium, that will cause you to retain water, and not seeing the scale move. Maybe check that?

That doesn't explain why I started losing weight and then it stopped, even though nothing changed.

Yes it does, you may be losing fat, but are eating things so full of sodium that you are retaining water and not showing a loss on the scale. Try eating clean, only raw or fresh fruits and veggies, track your sodium and eat things with lots of potassium to get rid of that water.

but if I were losing fat, my clothes and the measuring tape would reflect that, no?
  • Long_and_Lean

Were your carbs low. Keep in mind with the work outs that you do, you dont really need to be *low* carb. and they take up so many calories, that when you try to up protein, it is usually the first thing out the window. I shoot for 20% protein, 30% good fat and 50% carbs, but, I generally hit 30% protein and 40% carbs....... the lightheaded and dizzy bit could be from too low carbs......

Thanks, that's good advice. Are those percentages of calories or mass? (as in 20% of the calories consumed come from protein calories or 20% of the grams of food consumed come from protein)
  • Long_and_Lean
    work harder. push your limits.

Yeah, sound advice there...cause I don't do that already :noway: :explode:

Here's the thing: there's only so much anyone can feasibly do.

That is different for everybody, but you can't just doing more and more; there is a limit for everyone. You mentioned having vices, trying to be accurate (which I take to mean not always being so), and so on. Now I'm not saying you have to be perfect to see results (I certainly am not, so that would be hugely hypocritical), but if you're not happy with your current progress, at the end of the day, you either need to change something ('work harder') or wait it out and see if it rectifies itself eventually.

A true stall is usually (this is just a common time frame, I'm unaware of any sore of 'official' measure and doubt one exists) considered to be one lasting 6 weeks or longer. The human body is tremendously complex and there's any number of stupid reasons you might not be losing consistently from week to week. Waiting a few more weeks might very well be a good solution in your case.

If you're at all like me though, simply waiting can be frustrating. I get very impatient. Doing something, anything, even if it doesn't cause immediate results, at least I knew I did something to push myself along. Used to be that was extreme dieting. That's unhealthy (please don't do that). Nowadays I just push myself harder in the gym. Results don't come as quickly, but I'm feeling much better about myself now and it is, slowly, getting me where I need to be.

That's not to say you don't push yourself hard already of course.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Thank you for that well reasoned and genuine response! You mentioned changing something -- that's precisely why I'm here. I'm trying to figure out *what* to change that addresses my specific problem. Many of the things people mention don't make sense based on my specific situation. The only thing that will maybe help is upping the protein intake (as my diet consists of veg+whole grains otherwise for the most part), though I'm not 100% convinced as most studies I've read seem to conclude that macros primarily affect body composition (as someone previously said). That being said, it can't hurt to try it. After all, we'd all like more muscle, right?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    What you are eating is probably the main problem that you are having. Many people benefit greatly from eating healthy, whole foods and reducing the carbs (doesn't have to be drastic, if you are overall healthy and have no food addictions/binging/hunger issues) and increasing healthy fat and protein.

My diary is open, and my goals are set specifically for what makes me healthy and lose weight.

Thanks for the input, I've checked out your diary -- it looks great! Overall, my diet is not that different from yours (despite what people say here, those "quick added calories" don't consist of junk food, lol. I'd be starving if they were.) with the exception of the overall protein content. With that in mind, I have two questions:

1) I've tried a higher protein diet before and it made me nauseous and I felt weak. I was getting enough calories. Any idea why?
    2) The clinical studies I've read (i.e. NOT broscience) suggest that at this stage in the weight loss game, macros have a minimal effect if at all (jury's still out). What are your thoughts on that?

You don't have much to lose. Of course the macros matter. You keep saying you get enough calories, but you really aren't. My guess when you upped your protein, you drastically cut your carbs. That could cause your nausea and weak feeling.
  • Long_and_Lean

You don't have much to lose. Of course the macros matter. You keep saying you get enough calories, but you really aren't. My guess when you upped your protein, you drastically cut your carbs. That could cause your nausea and weak feeling.

Ok so here's my thinking about the calories: when I ate more (anywhere between 1500 and 1700, I've tried several levels), I wasn't losing. When I cut to the point that I am now, I started to lose. I appreciate the point about the carb cutting though, that's probably what happened. I will try to revisit the idea with that in mind.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    This is not a plateau
  • Could be a variety of things. This has happened to me several times. It could be your calorie intake/ exercise output need readjusted. I was actually working out TOO much and not eating enough calories and couldn't lose weight for two weeks. I cut down to only an hour a day 6 times a week and bam! -I start losing steadily again. What you eat has a lot to do with it too. If you're eating too many carbs, not drinking enough water, drinking sugary sodas, too many starches...it all affects your metabolism. And everyone's different. Best thing to do for anyone of any size/ shape is to stick to balancing out carbs/ proteins. MFP helps a TON with that. You have no idea what some things have in them until you input them on here!! Also, drinking black tea and eating watermelon are two very good suggestions.
  • dinoskycm
    dinoskycm Posts: 267
    Definitely up the protein. Try that first. I am a vegetarian, and I eat a lot of edamame. It's great for you, and you can have it as a snack. Other good protein sources are eggs, cheese, or beans. I try to stay away from products that have a lot of artificial preservatives, and even if you do have more sodium in your diet, try increasing your water intake to counteract the sodium.

Also, there are other things you can do to try to "shock your body." Plateaus usually happen when your body gets used to the things you are doing on a daily basis. Try doing a different exercise like yoga, running, or swimming. Dancing is great, but you can also benefit from other workouts. Swimming is low impact, and it works muscles that you never knew you had! Even doing a slower exercise like yoga would be good because your body is forced to slow down and you really concentrate on your breathing.

Also, try doing a weekend diet where you eat nothing but protein and green vegetables and drink water. I've heard that works well to shock your body. I've never done it personally though, so I don't know from experience.

What I do know from experience is that cold bathes help! When you soak your entire body is icy cold water, your body has to work to get your body temperature back up, and you burn calories. Right now, I'm nursing a knee injury, so instead of just icing my knee, sometimes I'll sit in the icy water so it serves a dual purpose. It ices my knee, but I'm burning calories too because I haven't been able to really exercise lately.

Hope that helps! :)
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member

Thanks, that's good advice. Are those percentages of calories or mass? (as in 20% of the calories consumed come from protein calories or 20% of the grams of food consumed come from protein)

% of calories consumed. My calorie intake is around 1400. Yes, a little low, but what works best for me. I have lost over 100 lbs with that method before I came here. I have around 80-100 grams of protein a day and try to keep my carbs to around 130-160 grams of carbs, but I TRY to get most of them from whole grain, fruit, veggies and not white sources. I also cut milk and regular yogurt, but more because of the lactose issues I was having, I dont have them with cheeses or greek yogurt. However, it cut down my fat and carbs greatly when I did so. I just make sure I take a calcium supplement. I just shoot for eating things as close to nature and as far from processed as I can reasonably do while working full time, going to school, dance class, a spouse type person (not married, but have lived together for over 2 years), a 7year old girl and a 15 year old girl. Yeah, sometimes, dinner comes out of a box. I eat greek yogurt from a container almost every morning. But, I try to get lots of fruit and veggies in there with it. I will have a greek yogurt with an orange and some berries on the side for breakfast. diced chicken in a whole wheat wrap with avocado, spinach, tomato, onion and peppers with sliced squash and zucchini in ranch on the side (full on, crappy ranch..... i figure, I like it enough to make me eat the squash and zucchini, so it is better than not eating it at all) for lunch. some carrot sticks, an apple and a boiled egg around 3 PM so I have energy and protein for dance in a few hours, and whatever we eat for dinner, I just check servings and try to make it a bit healthier. No obsessing. Just good choices and it comes off. Slowly at times, but off, nonetheless. And, sometimes, in the evenings, I will have a drink or two. Or even a half cup of ice cream with chocolate syrup if I am really craving it. It is ok. It all evens out and I am right around 1400 a day without adding back calories from exercise. because I choose not to. It works for me, so I am sticking with it.
  • Long_and_Lean

% of calories consumed. My calorie intake is around 1400. Yes, a little low, but what works best for me. I have lost over 100 lbs with that method before I came here. I have around 80-100 grams of protein a day and try to keep my carbs to around 130-160 grams of carbs, but I TRY to get most of them from whole grain, fruit, veggies and not white sources. I also cut milk and regular yogurt, but more because of the lactose issues I was having, I dont have them with cheeses or greek yogurt. However, it cut down my fat and carbs greatly when I did so. I just make sure I take a calcium supplement. I just shoot for eating things as close to nature and as far from processed as I can reasonably do while working full time, going to school, dance class, a spouse type person (not married, but have lived together for over 2 years), a 7year old girl and a 15 year old girl. Yeah, sometimes, dinner comes out of a box. I eat greek yogurt from a container almost every morning. But, I try to get lots of fruit and veggies in there with it. I will have a greek yogurt with an orange and some berries on the side for breakfast. diced chicken in a whole wheat wrap with avocado, spinach, tomato, onion and peppers with sliced squash and zucchini in ranch on the side (full on, crappy ranch..... i figure, I like it enough to make me eat the squash and zucchini, so it is better than not eating it at all) for lunch. some carrot sticks, an apple and a boiled egg around 3 PM so I have energy and protein for dance in a few hours, and whatever we eat for dinner, I just check servings and try to make it a bit healthier. No obsessing. Just good choices and it comes off. Slowly at times, but off, nonetheless. And, sometimes, in the evenings, I will have a drink or two. Or even a half cup of ice cream with chocolate syrup if I am really craving it. It is ok. It all evens out and I am right around 1400 a day without adding back calories from exercise. because I choose not to. It works for me, so I am sticking with it.

:flowerforyou: :heart: I love you just a little bit right now, because what you've described sounds exactly like me, sans the extra protein.

" [...]I TRY to get most of them from whole grain, fruit, veggies and not white sources. " Ditto. Nobody's perfect, life gets in the way sometimes. But most of the time it's spot on.

"I just shoot for eating things as close to nature and as far from processed as I can reasonably do while working full time, going to school[...} double ditto.

"And, sometimes, in the evenings, I will have a drink or two. Or even a half cup of ice cream with chocolate syrup if I am really craving it." Amen.

So yeah, that pretty much proves it to me. You have the same approach I do, but your balance of protein to carbs is different. You've been successful, I am struggling. From a logical standpoint, considering all other things appear to be similar/equal, it makes total sense, so I'm gonna give it a shot now that I have some insight as to why high protein made me sick the first time around. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your reasonable and intelligent approach. I can't stand this militant BS, that's no way to maintain a lifestyle. Whatever I do has to be realistic and reasonable :)
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Going by % isn't good. It's best to go by LBM(lean body mass).

It IS better, but, this is the best way for me to go right now. It is easier to keep up with, and that is what is better than how I WAS eating....... I will, no doubt, adjust things when I get to or very close to goal to make them more sustainable and will have the leeway to play around with #s a little more.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member

Our eating plan differs quite a bit in regards to carbs, specifically sugar. Of course the quick-added stuff doesn't provide much info.

Sometimes when a person lowers carbs and increases protein, they get something called a "carb flu" as the body adjusts. I don't get that; I feel better right away. Imo, having lots of healthy fat to go with the protein is just as critical. That's why you will see coconut products in my diary, and occasionally nuts, seeds, avocados, etc. Currently, I have too many dairy products, but since I choose full fat dairy (no milk) it's not an issue for me so far.

My thoughts are that macros matter immensely. I've done a lot of research and have a lot of experience to base my views on; however, because all nutritional research is problematic when it comes to isolating factors, there is contradictory information out there. Ignoring human history and not considering aboriginal diets is a mistake too imo. But it's different for everyone. I have health issues of PTSD, food addiction, binging, pre-diabetic etc and I have to have my net carbs at less than 30 to be healthy. It's of utmost importance that I do not feel hungry all the time, and low carb, healthy protein/fat is my solution.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    My advice as a fellow MFPr: Never open your diary to the whole community!

My advice as a scientist: If you keep your intake below your burn rate, you will lose weight. (Not that it's easy!)

Why not? People on here will ask those asking for help to open their diary in order to see if there are things in their logging they can tighten up (i.e. using a food scale, double-checking entries, etc.)

Not that it matters much for the OP, as it's been five years since she posted this...
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    My advice as a fellow MFPr: Never open your diary to the whole community!

My advice as a scientist: If you keep your intake below your burn rate, you will lose weight. (Not that it's easy!)

When making statements like that, as a scientist, I would think you would provide some information on why you would tell someone not to do something. :wink:
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited February 2017
    Miz_T wrote: »
    Arise...ARISE zombie thread!

Oh for Christ's sake. Why do people do this? What a waste of my time.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Holy necro thread Batman :astonished:

That's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,138 Member
    Why was this resurrected? am I missing something? Was there some question or noteworthy advice that was imparted somewhere in the thread?