I find it kinda sad...

Options

Replies

• ashbee03
    ashbee03 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    the worst nutritional thing is people thinking they know everything about nutrition giving other people a hard time for what they eat.

i agree.
    instead of looking down on people who may not know it all, if you think you know it all, then teach us something instead of criticise.
    or go to school and make a career out of how much you know !
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have personally found milk to be overrated. The calcium that you get from it is not even substantial. I've even read that is is pus in cow's milk! UGH... cow tiittie puss... NASTY. And no, I didn't just hear this, I read it from an accredited source. So I switched to Almond Milk and I love it!

But overall, have you looked around you lately OP?? It's not even just about health. People have NO common sense.
    In the words of the great Green Day

"Been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding
    The cretins cloning and feeding"

Sorry, but that line is not from "the great" Green Day. It's Harvey Dangers Flagpole Sitta.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    To be fair to your coworker, you could do a lot worse at McDonald's than the 380 calorie Filet-o-Fish!

like a big mac... mmm... i think they're like 1,300 calories? LOL
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    you can eat a burger at a fast food place and still loose weight. Just make sure you're still under your calories. I do this every so often and i'm still loosing weight. If I want to go to mcdonalds I just eat a little less the day before and the day after to make up for it.. No big deal.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    But overall, have you looked around you lately OP?? It's not even just about health. People have NO common sense.
    In the words of the great Green Day

"Been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding
    The cretins cloning and feeding"

Actually, this is from "Flagpole Sitta" by Harvey Danger.
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    To be fair to your coworker, you could do a lot worse at McDonald's than the 380 calorie Filet-o-Fish!

like a big mac... mmm... i think they're like 1,300 calories? LOL

a big mac has 576 calories
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My fiance is the same way. He would think that because it is fish it is healthy! Or that it is fine that he ate more than half a bag of peanut butter pretzels because peanut butter is good for you and pretzels aren't chips. Luckily for him he has such a fast metabolism and is so active he doesnt gain any weight

sounds like my bf. a couple years ago, he bought me a pint of Dove Ice cream. He looked at it and thought it was lower fat/suger - healthy. HOWEVER....it was so far from it, but I didn't have the heart to tell him. It had a thick layer of just chocolate fudge over the top...HEAVENLY.

I try to slowly explain to him how this works...because he has no body fat. at. all. = he is a punk!!! :)

I can only hope you tried to explain it to him between bites of fudgey-layer-delight. Dove is my weakness.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    The Arby's chicken salad sandwich on harvest wheat bread. Has grapes and apples in it. It's yummy too, I've had one. Dang thing is half my daily allowance of calories O_O
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Sound like Bill Cosby on the logic of Chocolate Cake for breakfast...... it has eggs and flour and milk..........:smile:
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    now i have 'mad world' stuck in my head
  • etajr
    etajr Posts: 49
    Options
    IT is ghe Great American brain washing...... Gotta have 3 squares a day and carbs are the center of it......The whole low fat fad was the downfall of the american diet... We need a paradigm shift to low CARB and not worry so much about the fat.
  • rwisner
    rwisner Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes people may be talking about "healthier" options. A lot of the things mentioned on the thread may not be "healthy" per se, but some may be better than other options. It's relative. It's also a journey for people. Some people are so far on the other end of the extreme that having fried chicken is a vast improvement to how they normally eat. Improving is what we are all trying to do.

Very well put! Totally agree!
  • starmadillo
    starmadillo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat really balanced, homemade salads at least 3 times a week for lunch. the other day my co-worker came up to me, fast food in hand, and pointed out the avocado on my salad and said 'you shouldn't eat that, it raises your cholesterol' to which I replied, 'what if I ate it on a burger, would it be ok to eat then?' that shut him up.

I find that eating right at work is one of the most challenging aspects of dieting. people are always bringing in donuts and fast food... i'd love some ways to cope with that politely, because i'm getting a bad reputation as a health freak, although i'm far from it.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think it annoys me more than anything when my parents tell me I am overdoing the exercise, they don't really do any so they think anything more hardcore than walking is too strenuous!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Salads - some people think that all salads a good. But throw on the bacaon, cheese, fried chicken, creamy dresing...:huh:
    OMG - most salad options from restaurants pack over 1,000 calories in them with all the cheesem croutons, bacon, etc.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    that my coworker thinks a fried fish sandwich with mayo and processed cheese from McDonalds is a "healthy" option. I didn't want to be mean, but I did offer her other suggestions for lunch.

I also find it sad when I come across others who are completely clueless when it comes to good nutrition. I am by no means a nutritionist but I think I have a good idea of what's good for me and what's not. I guess it's not as "common sense" unless you've done your homework and researched healthy eating habits?

What are some other nutrition misconceptions you've come across with friends or family that made you cringe?

I agree with you on this. Many people I know do feel this way. I also know that people have to start somewhere. Knowledge is key to making informed decisions. Hopefully, as time goes on our friends will learn a tiny bit more about nutrition and move forward. My friend still says that there is no scientific evidence that diet soda is bad for you.
  • ljaroch
    ljaroch Posts: 64
    Options
    I agree. My boyfriend's mother once complained to me about how an overweight relative would bring chips to a family potluck, and of course because this woman is overweight she would bring something unhealthy. She then commented that she was going to bring some nice, healthy vegetables in the form of green bean casserole. I did not know what to say.

Now now, I make a healthy version of the green bean casserole. Here's the recipe: Green beans. ;)

How do people not get that just because there are veggies in something doesn't make it healthy!? My dad was obsessed with weight and working out when I was younger and was very critical of everything we ate (this is just one of the reasons I think I got fat in the first place). Except he was also the great cook who would make all these fattening delicious meals and come up with all these concoctions like an oreo sandwich with ice cream in between covered in caramel topped with loas of homemade whipped cream. Talk about mixed messages.
  • ljaroch
    ljaroch Posts: 64
    Options
    The majority of people have no idea how many calories they need, or how many calories are in most regular food... They r totally clueless, but then so was I until last may when I found this place!
    Weren't we all! MFP taught so many of us what "healthy" truly means.

I find it sad yet strangely amusing at the same time, when I see posts about how awful friends, family, co-workers etc. are eating when so many of us where once at that very same spot. How quickly we've forgotten that we once were ignorant in the same way.

Cheers for the poster - TavistockToad - for posting her thoughts on the matter!:drinker:

You are mostly right. A lot of us have forgotten where we started. However, the real tragedy is that most of my life I have been reading labels and education myself - I knew pretty much the basics since my mid teens and I STILL choose (and sometimes still do) choose the unhealthy options. At least the people that aren't educated have an excuse (although it's their job to educate themselves). I don't have any excuses except I guess being lazy or not caring about myself, letting food get the better of me.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend on a different weight-loss program. She keeps telling me she can't eat "carbs", but she eats a lot of vegetables! I keep telling her those are carbs, but not all carbs are equal. She isn't supposed to eat bread on her diet, but I've found I need that kind of fiber to "keep things moving", but I only eat whole-grains and make my own bread. There are so many diets out there that are too restrictive and not things you can live with. I know, I've tried most of them! MFP seems to be the best, life-long program I've found.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    The Arby's chicken salad sandwich on harvest wheat bread. Has grapes and apples in it. It's yummy too, I've had one. Dang thing is half my daily allowance of calories O_O

I know! Those used to me by favorite go-to for lunch. Not anymore! :cry: