I find it kinda sad...

Options

Replies

• SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    my friend I did daycare for told me basically to mind my own business and let her kids eat what they want and how much they want at my house. 2 of her kids, 7 and 12 year ols, were individually eating more than my husband and myself combined at each meal. Her 6 year old equaled what I ate and they would all ask for a snack within 1/2 hour from when we ate.

She thinks fat is "cute". She said not to worry about what they ate here because it was up to the parents to deal with their nutrition. They ate like 5 meals here a week, so quite a good percent of their nutrition. 2 of the kids wouldn't drink milk with meals because I refuse to give flavored milk at mealtime. Mom agreed with them so they would get the calcium, I still refused.

I know they would go home and eat a pizza or whole meal as a really late night snack. I am 100% sure that is why she now keeps them home with their older sister, because I was teaching them substitutions, labels and only making enough for each person to have 1 serving. I always limited cheese and sour cream to a teaspoon and NEVER had treats when they were here. EVER! These are kis that LOVE apples, bananas, no fat yogurt, carrots, cucumbers and plain chicken. In my mind, no way should these kids ever have started their obese patterns. Dad was on disability with the possiblity of never working again and a really good possibilty that he would die in his sleep at about 45 years old. Mom is a super unhealthy weight and promotes how sexy big is. The 12 year old weighed as much as I do last year and wears the same size jeans. She is really unhappy and has a hard time getting along with anyone. So sad.

people are often in denial.

That is so so sad. Those poor kids. That's partially why I'm getting healthy now (before I even think of having kids) so I can be a good role model for them.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Dietary snacks! Diet sodas (Fat-free, sugar-free or caffeine-free versions of otherwise unhealthy snacks) You're better off not having a snack at all than eating those weird substitutions. Less calories does not mean healthy. They have very little nutritional value and just leave you wanting more. If you're going to snack, snack on something REAL.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Finances and good nutrition are two of the really important elements of education that are not taught at all. When schools serve bascailly fast food in their cafeterias, what does that teach kids.

Fortunately, my kids are awesome and hate the school cafeteria. I stopped allowing them to eat there when my son told me he had two pieces of pizza and a chocolate milk. I was livid. Why the F*** do they have chocolate milk as an option? Are you f***ing kidding me? In an elementary school?

Anyway, I used to give my kids the option of buying their lunch or taking it,and they always choose taking it. they say that when they buy their lunch, they feel tired afterwards. Where when they take their lunch, they have more energy. Ha, ha. my kids rock!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    my friend I did daycare for told me basically to mind my own business and let her kids eat what they want and how much they want at my house. 2 of her kids, 7 and 12 year ols, were individually eating more than my husband and myself combined at each meal. Her 6 year old equaled what I ate and they would all ask for a snack within 1/2 hour from when we ate.

She thinks fat is "cute". She said not to worry about what they ate here because it was up to the parents to deal with their nutrition. They ate like 5 meals here a week, so quite a good percent of their nutrition. 2 of the kids wouldn't drink milk with meals because I refuse to give flavored milk at mealtime. Mom agreed with them so they would get the calcium, I still refused.

I know they would go home and eat a pizza or whole meal as a really late night snack. I am 100% sure that is why she now keeps them home with their older sister, because I was teaching them substitutions, labels and only making enough for each person to have 1 serving. I always limited cheese and sour cream to a teaspoon and NEVER had treats when they were here. EVER! These are kis that LOVE apples, bananas, no fat yogurt, carrots, cucumbers and plain chicken. In my mind, no way should these kids ever have started their obese patterns. Dad was on disability with the possiblity of never working again and a really good possibilty that he would die in his sleep at about 45 years old. Mom is a super unhealthy weight and promotes how sexy big is. The 12 year old weighed as much as I do last year and wears the same size jeans. She is really unhappy and has a hard time getting along with anyone. So sad.

Kids need saturated fat so their brains can develop. Everyone needs fat but especially kids.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    A lot of foods are marketed as being "healthy" options. I remember being at a fast food restaurant and they had muffins called "healthy sensations". (I think it was McDonald's, but can't remember for sure). I looked at the nutritional info since it was posted on the wall, and those muffins had over 400 calories each. And they weren't very big either. There seem to be a lot of people out there who take that at face value, and assume that they really ARE healthy options, when they definitely aren't! The onus is on us as individuals to do our homework and research to find out how good/bad these things are, but unfortunately, not everyone makes that effort.
    Sometimes it's people who are in denial. They tell themselves that whatever food they are eating is healthy and good for them because deep down, they don't want to know or believe that it's really not.
    And then of course you have people who just don't care!
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Whilst I get the intent of this thread, remember healthy is a very broad term.

Most people are here to lose weight, so I understand the feelings in most posts here. Some people (yes, myself included) are trying to gain weight, or fuel sports performance, so something being high calorie is not a problem, in fact it's a blessing when 3,000 calories is the smallest amount you eat for a day.

Even stuff which truly is junk food will be in my diet sometimes, if it fits my macro profile and I am already getting other nutrients, vitamins etc... from other foods.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend thinks just because its fruit, vegetables, wheat, or anything else he deems healthy that you can eat as much of it as you want because its not bad for you. I keep telling him it does matter because those things have calories and you cant eat a entire loaf of whole wheat italian bread, following by a plate full of veggies covered in butter or dipped in some creamy dipping sauce, and fruit drenched in whip cream as if they dont count in your daily intake.

I have a friend that thinks anything with fruit in it is not junk food because fruit is good for you. So that means an entire fruit pie is ok to eat.
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    My friend told me the other day that Taco Bell wasn't unhealthy since its "just ground beef" and not fried like most other fast food.....

ummmmm ....
  • careyannal
    Options
    Finances and good nutrition are two of the really important elements of education that are not taught at all. When schools serve bascailly fast food in their cafeterias, what does that teach kids.

Fortunately, my kids are awesome and hate the school cafeteria. I stopped allowing them to eat there when my son told me he had two pieces of pizza and a chocolate milk. I was livid. Why the F*** do they have chocolate milk as an option? Are you f***ing kidding me? In an elementary school?

Anyway, I used to give my kids the option of buying their lunch or taking it,and they always choose taking it. they say that when they buy their lunch, they feel tired afterwards. Where when they take their lunch, they have more energy. Ha, ha. my kids rock!

Yep, my favorite lunch in elementary school was nachos & cheese day (cheez wiz). That was a "meal" and fruit sherbert was a "side dish."

That was 20 years ago, but my mom is now a teacher in the same school system and says that sadly, not a lot has changed....
  • careyannal
    Options
    A lot of foods are marketed as being "healthy" options. I remember being at a fast food restaurant and they had muffins called "healthy sensations". (I think it was McDonald's, but can't remember for sure). I looked at the nutritional info since it was posted on the wall, and those muffins had over 400 calories each. And they weren't very big either. There seem to be a lot of people out there who take that at face value, and assume that they really ARE healthy options, when they definitely aren't!\

You're right, I used to be one of those people.

I would get Starbuck's lowfat blueberry muffin, thinking I was doing myself a favor. Nope, 430 calories!!
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Why I don't eat fast food:

fastfood.jpg
  • musicalsoul207
    musicalsoul207 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    my husband thinks anything homemade qualifies as healthy. lol not true at all.

Oh man, if that was true, Paula Dean wouldn't be diabetic. I hate that her recipes are sooooo bad for you, because they're just sooooo good. :-\ I'm pretty sure 95% of the homemade food I make is horrible for you. I'm trying to work on that though.

7117000.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Even stuff which truly is junk food will be in my diet sometimes, if it fits my macro profile and I am already getting other nutrients, vitamins etc... from other foods.

^ Bingo. This is an example of context.
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    Doesn't matter if it's fried, baked, broiled, processed, etc. IIFYM eat and be happy!
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say my mom is surprisingly stubborn or really just clueless about things even though she's worked as a nurse.

A while back she said to me, fully convinced, it was better to have potato chips as a late night snack instead of nuts because the nuts would make her fat and the potato chips don't. Adding to this she has high blood pressure and this would be ANOTHER big reason snacking on dry roasted, unsalted nuts would be a lot better option for her!
    Adding to that, even though she has high blood pressure and has to take meds every day, she seems to just not know how many foods contain a lot of salt.

Like olives, ANY deli meat (from which she consumed a LOT.), pre-packaged noodles (she has these 3 times a week as lunch...) cheese...
    I find it fascinating she is refusing to cut down a bit. I have logged her food for a day and showed her she was consuming at least twice as much salt as the daily recommended amount and if she has high blood pressure she should be more careful, but she still piles on the deli meat or noodles at lunch and refuses to seek an alternative for the potato chips at night. I TRIED.

Oh, and my dad thinks cookies with fruit filling are healthy.
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options

I had the pizza, very fine juice drinks, fries, and steak and cheese (every friday), oh and soft pretzels (this was in the late 90s). I was a normal weight my whole adolescent life. I think that's thanks to my parents never introducing me to fast food. Taking ballet classes almost everyday, actually playing outside with friends as a child, etc. We had nintendo and tv but we still played outside.

I think the cafeteria food was my fast food as a child.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, a Filet-o-Fish IS healthy compared to a snickers bar and a coke for lunch, no?
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Kids need saturated fat so their brains can develop. Everyone needs fat but especially kids.

I agree. Children should never be given low fat/fat-free foods. Sure, give them smaller portions and get them to turn off the Playstation and move a bit more but low fat & diet foods in general are not suitable for young kids.

Better still, don't allow them to become obese in the first place. I'm a parent, I choose what foods are bought and brought into the house. There is no excuse for toddlers and young kids to be obese.
  • BadAssUnicorn
    Options
    It's so sad. We are all SO much smarter than them. Those poor, sad people.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That one tablespoon of butter has less calories once it is melted down. Duh . . . .