Belly dancing?

Options

Replies

• shimmygirl411
    shimmygirl411 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I started with a couple DVD's too, but I found taking an actual class was the most beneficial. I have been taking classes for 9 years and performing for 8. It is great fun and great exercise!! I absolutely love it!! And of course, the getting to play dress-up is fabulous! :wink:
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    For classic bellydance, Ansuya's Hot Moves and Jillina's dvds are pretty nice (love Ansuya's choreography in Hot Moves). For a more romantic approach, you could try Sensual Bellydance or Luscious.
  • MrsWonderland
    MrsWonderland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I need to start belly dancing again. Mentally and physically I felt different after wards, not like arobics or any other workout I had done. The more I danced the more I felt amazing even with a few days break in between. I have one of The Goddess workouts. I need to look into Zumba.
  • violetsprings
    violetsprings Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm considering going to a belly dancing class at my local gym. I figure, if it's available, why not? The only thing I worry about is if it's too difficult for someone like me. I don't have experience with any kind of dancing and I don't want to make a fool of myself... It puts me off. Will I still enjoy it?
  • ser67
    ser67 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been going to belly dancing classes for a couple of years and they are really good fun. It is suitable for all ages and levels of fitness. The youngest in the class is six and the eldest is in her 70s has had a hip replacement operation. It is better when you wear a coined scarf around your hips. That way you feel and hear the effect of subtle hip movements. Afterwards you do feel really good about yourself.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm considering going to a belly dancing class at my local gym. I figure, if it's available, why not? The only thing I worry about is if it's too difficult for someone like me. I don't have experience with any kind of dancing and I don't want to make a fool of myself... It puts me off. Will I still enjoy it?

if it's a beginners class, you don't have to worry about a thing. you may feel like you are totally stiff, but with some practice, you'll loosen up and use just the right muscles. oh and everybody feels that way at first.
    the classes i went to, focused on isolated movements first, then combined them and slowly added a bit of choreography (as opposed to a dance workshop i went to once, where they put the music on full speed, went through a choreography once, and then expected everyone to 'get' it - ok everyone but me did).
    If it's an advanced class, i'd say give it a try to see how you feel, but maybe wait for an intro course.
    Bellydance is definitely one of the most enjoyable fitness type classes i've ever taken...
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It can be quite fun, i have tried it before and considering trying again. The more advance you get the more of a workout :)
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Go to a complete beginners class. And you will find plenty of people feeling the same way. You will have fun regardless :)
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I used to do it on the FIT Channel on my directv and I loved it. I ended up losing like 10 pounds and quite a few inches! I would love to have a dvd since we have ATT now and I don't have that channel. It's so much fun!

Have fun with it! And remember laughing at yourself helps you lose more calories! :bigsmile:
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    I started with a couple DVD's too, but I found taking an actual class was the most beneficial. I have been taking classes for 9 years and performing for 8. It is great fun and great exercise!! I absolutely love it!! And of course, the getting to play dress-up is fabulous! :wink:
    I have to agree with Shimmygirl. I tried the DVD's but didn't get as much out of it as taking a class. I have been taking classes for almost 10 years and performing for 8. It's addictive!
    I would recommend checking out the instructor that you go to, I've seen a lot of women who are teaching bellydance after taking classes for a year or two (I know one who can't even play zills and is teaching classes-not fair to her students, they will not get a well rounded training) and they don't have enough training to teach correctly (I know there may be exceptions, but I haven't seen any yet) and a lot of times the Zumba instructors that include bellydance in their routines have never bellydanced.
    I do not want to discourage you from trying DVD's because I do know one dancer that learned entirely from DVDs and is a beautiful dancer (she could not take classes because she cannot drive since she is losing her vision at a young age).

Best I can recommend is no matter how you learn, have fun with it it is a great exercise
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I take a belly dancing class and the one thing that I would say is that working with an instructor really makes sure that you are working with the right muscles and doing the moves properly. I haven't tried any belly dancing DvDs but I love it as a workout! :)
  • violetsprings
    Options

Go to a complete beginners class. And you will find plenty of people feeling the same way. You will have fun regardless :)

Thanks for the advice :)
  • violetsprings
    Options

if it's a beginners class, you don't have to worry about a thing. you may feel like you are totally stiff, but with some practice, you'll loosen up and use just the right muscles. oh and everybody feels that way at first.
    the classes i went to, focused on isolated movements first, then combined them and slowly added a bit of choreography (as opposed to a dance workshop i went to once, where they put the music on full speed, went through a choreography once, and then expected everyone to 'get' it - ok everyone but me did).
    If it's an advanced class, i'd say give it a try to see how you feel, but maybe wait for an intro course.
    Bellydance is definitely one of the most enjoyable fitness type classes i've ever taken...

Okay, I will definitely check with them what level the class is for. What if they say 'all levels', should I still find a beginners class?
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I just have to post here- bellydancing is the best exercise EVER!!! :heart: :heart: Seriously, it's low impact, intensity can be very high, really improves the tone of your abs, and it's so much fun! I would recommend Rachel Brice, Suhaila (the "mother" of US bellydance), or Zoe Jakes (superstars). These ladies are amazing! And if you can find a class to physically go to it's even better for technique. And if something seems out of reach...keep trying! I have been doing this 2.5 years and have improved a ton, but have sooo much more to learn.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

Okay, I will definitely check with them what level the class is for. What if they say 'all levels', should I still find a beginners class?

Yes, still go, but don't expect to "get" everything right away. Be patient and enjoy!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    What category would you put belly dancing under? Would sticking it down as moderate calisthenics be good? I know MFP has it as a category, but I don't track exercise here.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love Bellydancing!

Currently i do

Egyptian style - on a Wednesday evening for 1 hour - its your generic bellydance really, think women with scarves over the face and sparkly hip belts.

ATS (American Tribal Style) this is brilliant, the moves are slower and the idea is that you all work as a team rather than it being a single person dancing. Much better if you're a bit nervous about being in it 'alone' so to speak and i find the excercises are really focused and fun. I do a monthly 3 hour intensive of this. Starting on the 29th September

Gothic Tribal Style - more like ATS but really slow and 'shoal of fish' like. Often taught to modern dance music and great costumes and so on. I do a 2 hour session on Sundays.

Love it! Its brilliant.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    I love Bellydancing!

Currently i do

Egyptian style - on a Wednesday evening for 1 hour - its your generic bellydance really, think women with scarves over the face and sparkly hip belts.

ATS (American Tribal Style) this is brilliant, the moves are slower and the idea is that you all work as a team rather than it being a single person dancing. Much better if you're a bit nervous about being in it 'alone' so to speak and i find the excercises are really focused and fun. I do a monthly 3 hour intensive of this. Starting on the 29th September

Gothic Tribal Style - more like ATS but really slow and 'shoal of fish' like. Often taught to modern dance music and great costumes and so on. I do a 2 hour session on Sundays.

Love it! Its brilliant.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Had such fun today at my tribal bellydancing workshop - two hours though! Killa!

Will be practising for next week!
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I loooooooove belly dancing!! I've taken a few classes but it's stopped now :\

Gonna have a look for rock/metal belly dancing classes in London. That sounds so awesome!!