Today's Teen vs. Teen 20 years ago

Options
12345679»

Replies

• QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Pay phones?

Those are hard to find nowadays. My grandparents always told me to keep a quarter in my pocket to call home if I needed to.

My mom always told me to keep a *dime* on me. I must be older than you! I used to call collect though, but that was back when it was easy to talk to a human operator!
  • cgrooms676
    cgrooms676 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Waiting for hours for your favourite song to come on the radio just so you can frantically hit *RECORD* on your ca-ssette tape.

That was sooo me. I still have some of my old cassettes with my favorite songs on them.

Me too! I just don't have a cassette player anymore to be able to listen to them!
  • BishopSmurf
    BishopSmurf Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    aLjVe.gif

Turbo, Special K, and Ozone... the TKO crew.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    TGIF.....urkel,hangin with mr cooper, boy meets world
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Family dinners at the dinner table.

There are actually people who still do this believe it or not.

We do this every night we possibly can. I would say 6 nights a week on average. We have done this since my children were born. When I married my second husband, his daughter thought we were strange when we all ate at the table together.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Dialing a "1" before the area code. You don't have to with cell phones. My friend's teen lost his cell phone, and used the home phone. He got that error buzz for FOUR DAYS trying to call his friend in the next town/area code. He got frustrated and complained to his mom, who promptly told him he was being silly, dial a one.

This same teen was astonished that you can get television, like, with rabbit ears. He did not think that was possible, as clearly you have to pay for cable or satellite.

And this kid is extremely bright...he's at Stanford majoring in EE, and graduating early. These things are just not in the average teen's experiences today.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Looking stuff up in a set of encyclopedias to complete their homework.
  • B1gH0g
    B1gH0g Posts: 361
    Options
    Parachute pants and Commander Salamander. :)
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Family dinners at the dinner table.

There are actually people who still do this believe it or not.

We still do this as often as possible.

I would say, not being allowed inside on a nice day, even when it's snowing. If it's not a hurricane outside, then we had to be outside, no tv until dark! (this was less than 20 years ago actually)
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Fresh air?

I agree!
  • aelitaangels
    aelitaangels Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Pay phones?

^^^^this

Also, not having a cell phone.

Not true at all, The majority of my teeange years (and even now) where spent without a cell phone
    I have to rely on payphones if I'm out and need a ride home
    They're getting rid of pay phones in malls though =(
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Being 18 im not sure why most of these are posted:

Before i moved to college i never had a meal not at the table with my family
    i owned a casset player, and a cd player may i add the casset player was in the shape of a coca cola can
    i rode a bike :/
    i walked to school
    had a tape player in all vechiles till recently (moms and dads) mine has a cd player
    i have respect for my elders
    i played at the playground everyday
    my mom and dad used to lock me and my brother out of the house to "play outisde"
    ive used a pay phone
    had no caller id
    used my grandparents dial/round phone
    had a stretchy cord phone
    have had a tamagotchi, legwarmers ( theyve been available from ardeen since at least grade 10..so 4 years ago in went to a 80's themed party.
    i love reading actual books i have easily over 1000 ive read at least 2 times each
    didnt have a cellphone till i was older, ive dialed 1 before a call
    i graduated!
    ive used an encyclopeida many times
    ive also had a good licking with a spoon as a youngster

the things i havent experinced that youve listed ?:
    pascal computer, george sr as president ( im a canadian so i never would have lol)

Things i havent had that those younger than me have had
    a baby

Something to add to your list :
    playing with one of those things you look thru and turn and the beads move into different patterns
    and the lil clicky cameras with the photo negatives to look at
    i cant remember the actual names atm
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Corporal punishment.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    richard_simmons.jpg
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i am only 7 years older than my sister and already the differences are amazing!
    she doesnt know what a vhs is! or what it was like with just 4 tv channels to choose from.... there are more but total mental block right now.....
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Drive in movies??
  • Gennybunny96
    Gennybunny96 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump for later, totally have to talk to my husband to get more!! what a blast from the past so far. Love it!!