The 2 sides to MFP

Options

Replies

• ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    That make me upset just to think about. I don't click on most of those posts myself. I like many, I think, come here to find the nonjudgmental support. It is incredibly important to someone who is struggling to improve themselves and their lives.

I understand that many, in particular the younger people see this as a social site, but lets be honest it was built to help people reach a goal. That goal is health and fitness. I believe that this should be the focus still.

I was here when the chit chat forum was formed and people were looking for a way to make connections to people. I feel that the friends and the personal news feeds does this very well. Personally I think if we want to keep this focus, maybe there is a way to make a separate area altogether for those sorts of posts.

stands on highest mountain....cups hands to mouth........leans back and screams "THEN DONT READ THE CHIT-CHAT FORUMS....(takes breath and reloads)....JUST STICK TO READING WEIGHTLOSS AND SUCCESS OR MOTIVATION AND TIPS".........walks down mountain mumbling under breath clearly frustrated.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    so maybe i did or didnt get your point, but no one even wants to get the point of those people that had the gall to get fit and be happy about it here.

Again. Nobody says you can't post. People are saying the rating and how sexy are you threads devalue MFP and make it seem shallow. That's all.
  • lifescircle
    Options
    Welcome to the hell of being born female. Our value is judged from birth based on empirical attractiveness, to almost exclusivity.

Men are just now starting to get a glimpse of what this is like, and for the most part can escape this kind of value judgement in the vast majority of situations.

Maybe someone like Mark Zuckerburg will have an experience like like your friend did, and think twice before creating another website like "Hot or Not" that rates the empirical attractiveness of his female classmates.

Women like to look at attractive men. So what? I'd be willing to bet that your friend has at some point in his life looked at a website or magazine that featured women wearing hardly any clothes without any other measure of their worth outside the fact that they look great in a bikini.

Just sayin'

ummm... you might want to edit this to "some women".

What I consider attractive may not be what another considers attractive.

And I wasn't born with that thing "value" thing.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Because you're not making a point.

So people CAN celebrate their success in threads as they so choose? Good. Stop complaining about it.

I've seen people on this site get discouraged because there are advertisements they don't like. We can't make this place soft enough for everyone. There wouldn't be one success thread. No one could celebrate an NSV.

Weight loss is not easy. I know. Even after you've lost all the weight it's hard work every damn day.

If you're going to be completely derailed by a topic on a website.. you don't have what it takes. Period. This is work. I'm extremely proud of everyone who does the work but I'm not going to tell them to tone it down for the people looking for ANY excuse to give up. Like the friend of the OP.

I do have a point. You just missed it. I'm not surprised. I wouldn't be able to read around those big guns either. *shrug*

Because I've built muscle using MFP I must be dumb....

I wish people like you would just get the hell off fitness websites, since you clearly have such issues towards people in shape. I hope you never reach your goal, whatever will you think of yourself then?

If you hate fit people get off fitness websites. Stop putting the blame on them.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    This is fun. The people who're super defensive are pretending to not understand what the OP is trying to say.

Dang, I thought I was bad at english. Or is it just a tactic you all are using to justify your posts? I specially like the post where somebody said that now men knows how women feel, always getting judged.
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    Yoovie, I think you're still missing the point.

Nobody is saying you CAN'T celebrate your success. People are saying threads that RATE how sexy and good looking people are is a bit discouraging NOT encouraging. We should all feel beautiful in all stages of our loss. Not JUST when we reach our goal. And a thread that only celebrates those who have ripped bodies and low weight numbers is NOT helpful.

So people CAN celebrate their success in threads as they so choose? Good. Stop complaining about it.

I've seen people on this site get discouraged because there are advertisements they don't like. We can't make this place soft enough for everyone. There wouldn't be one success thread. No one could celebrate an NSV.

Weight loss is not easy. I know. Even after you've lost all the weight it's hard work every damn day.

If you're going to be completely derailed by a topic on a website.. you don't have what it takes. Period. This is work. I'm extremely proud of everyone who does the work but I'm not going to tell them to tone it down for the people looking for ANY excuse to give up. Like the friend of the OP.

Brett, I have seen many of your posts on the site and typically share your opinion more often than not. To some extent, I share your opinion on this post as well. However, the point that has been lost is that the OP is suggesting that those threads are not a great first impression for someone who is just getting started. I totally get why someone overweight would find it discouraging to see those threads at the beginning stage of their journey. Excluding the chit chat section from Recent Posts would not take any fun away from anyone, including myself, that participates in those threads.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

unless its people who already got mostly fit, those *****es dont deserve our encouragement OR our tolerance.

I deleted most of it because I hate seeing quotes that are like 3 pages.

But really? I never said you can't feel sexy till everyone else does. I don't care if you feel sexy. That's good. You worked for it. I DO care that people feel the need to be rated and rate their selves based on their physical appearance on a site not targeted FOR that. I never said "you can't feel sexy, shame shame". Get it STRAIGHT. Stop pmsing, eat chocolate, do something. Damn, you are taking this out of context! And the grow up bit was because you're taking this out of context as such.

And people deserve encouragement at ANY state of a fitness level. In fact, I'd say larger people with more to lose need it more so until other wise they prove they're not going to work for it.

you just said that me posting in the 'rate my physical appearance' thread - is discouraging for you even though it may motivate me because I once didnt have the courage to post there and now I might.

how is that out of context?
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    This site is GREAT! You can find anything you are looking for, and after reading so many of the comments here I can see that's exactly what is happening. Some people are looking for support and love, and they find it. Some people just want to track their calories, and they can do that. Some people want to be fun and carefree with their time, and they get to do that. Some people want to motivate others, and they get to do that too. THEN there are people looking to find reasons to quit, and they find them.

I like to be the person who can do a little of everything, take the best of it, and allow other people to do their thing, because I enjoy my life most when they allow that of me. Peace is unattainable, but a decent step in the right direction is to find happiness rather than complain about the happiness that others have found.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I do have a point. You just missed it. I'm not surprised. I wouldn't be able to read around those big guns either. *shrug*

I wish people like you would just get the hell off fitness websites, since you clearly have such issues towards people in shape. I hope you never reach your goal, whatever will you think of yourself then?

If you hate fit people get off fitness websites. Stop putting the blame on them.

Brett, I might not have agreed with your posts in the past but I have respected you.

Until this.
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I can't believe this is still carrying on.

Yoovie, you rock! :flowerforyou:
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    This site is GREAT! You can find anything you are looking for, and after reading so many of the comments here I can see that's exactly what is happening. Some people are looking for support and love, and they find it. Some people just want to track their calories, and they can do that. Some people want to be fun and carefree with their time, and they get to do that. Some people want to motivate others, and they get to do that too. THEN there are people looking to find reasons to quit, and they find them.

I like to be the person who can do a little of everything, take the best of it, and allow other people to do their thing, because I enjoy my life most when they allow that of me. Peace is unattainable, but a decent step in the right direction is to find happiness rather than complain about the happiness that others have found.

very good answer
  • cubizzle
    Options
    However, the point that has been lost is that the OP is suggesting that those threads are not a great first impression for someone who is just getting started. I totally get why someone overweight would find it discouraging to see those threads at the beginning stage of their journey.

This is completely subjective....
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Nope, I dont care anymore.

Im going to go exercise.

I hope someday you all score a 10 and burst with pride and genuine happiness.
  • cubizzle
    Options

Brett, I might not have agreed with your posts in the past but I have respected you.

Until this.

Brett. I've watched other people love on you from afar....now I'm loving on you too!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Dude. Seriously. Relax.

My point. Since you missed it.

NOBODY IS SAYING YOU CANNOT CELEBRATE YOUR SUCCESS.

PEOPLE ARE SAYING POSTS THAT RATE PEOPLE JUDGED ON HOW THEY LOOK MAKE MFP SEEM LIKE A SHALLOW, POINTLESS PLACE. And perhaps those posts should not be showcased first thing when people click on Recent Posts.

Furthermore, I was not insulting your intelligence. I was insinuating your muscles are so big you can't see the computer screen past them.
  • PattieCakes23
    Options

Women like to look at attractive men. So what? I'd be willing to bet that your friend has at some point in his life looked at a website or magazine that featured women wearing hardly any clothes without any other measure of their worth outside the fact that they look great in a bikini.

Yes I'm sure he has. He nor I are in any position to suggest this type of thing should not be allowed

Once again my point is this: If you went on an allergy forum looking for advice on helping combat allergies, and the first impression of the site was people discussing attractive men/women etc, then you would be put off - that's not to say it shouldn't be discussed in sections of the forum (off topic for example) just that if you clicked on recent posts to see what people on the forum were discussing, you would not stay - that's a shame don't you agree?

True. It would cause me to wonder exactly what kind of site it is, but it would not completely take me away from the site. Of course, that varies from person to person, obviously.

The chit chat board says fun & games. If you look at that ONE forum and immediately think that the whole site is like that, well...I'm sorry for you. There are what...5-6 other forums that are clearly dedicated to health, fitness, motivation, support, AND success.

The fun and games is for just that, fun and games.

I can tell you, I would probably not be as active with this site and logging my calories AND working out if it were not for the people I've met. And most of them have come from that section. Yes, some of the things in there are silly and pointless, but once you see that it's pointless, move on.
    Yes, there are the "rate the person above you", and the "whats sexy" topics, but they are for fun, and honestly, it's like a compliment. If I ever post on those (which I have, but only a couple times, not religiously), it's nice to hear someone say I have a nice smile, or nice eyes. Someone even told me I have good cheekbones, I've never heard that.

I tell people about this site and how helpful its been, and I also add in the social aspect. It's fun, and it makes changing my habits and working out fun too.

The chit chat forums are not meant to chase people away, they are meant to be there for fun. To take a break from the every day boring things. Yeah, you look at most recent topics and you see a lot from that forum, BUT as I said before, if you let it define how you view the site, then you might not have wanted to be here anyway.

I think I've said all I want...yes. :happy:
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    If only MFP would let us filter out certain forum groups from the "recent forum posts" section of the main page.

They do.....it's called the left click button on your mouse. DON'T CLICK ON THE FORUM AND SCROLL DOWN TO READ IT. :huh: :indifferent:

That is not a filter. Perhaps you should try to understand the point the OP was trying to make.

I do understand the point. The point was there should be a way to filter out certain forum groups.

As far as I know the forums don't automatically pop up in windows on the screen every time you log in???? The user does have to use a mouse to click on the forum to read it.....so it seems relatively easy to NOT CLICK if you don't want to read it? I didn't read any forums for the first 2 months on here.

I get irked by some of the "I can't get out of bed, but somehow I made it to the computer" threads either, but I use the left-button filter that was magically installed on my mouse and I DON'T CLICK on them. Pretty simple I think.

In fact, I'd bet that's why MFP made different forums and titles for postings, so that users could CHOOSE what to read or not to read. I could be way off base here...... :huh:

Unfortunately, even though you say you get it, you still don't.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    so maybe i did or didnt get your point, but no one even wants to get the point of those people that had the gall to get fit and be happy about it here.

Again. Nobody says you can't post. People are saying the rating and how sexy are you threads devalue MFP and make it seem shallow. That's all.

-Cheer- Someone got it! :D That's ALL I'm saying. Being shallow about your new looks is different from being proud that you got fit! I LOVE the success stories, they motivate me. I think it is FANTASTIC to see people drop weight and look great and be HAPPY with the body the achieved. I don't get unmotivated by ANYTHING posted, not even the hot or not. I don't go IN those forums because I think they're shallow and a pitiful way to get attention.

It's GREAT you lost weight, I'm happy for you. I'm GLAD you love your body. That's fine. But if you want to get rated go to a rating site... that's IT...
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good for you trying to help your friend! Hopefully he will check it out and find what he needs. Everyone has different needs and that is one of the great thing about this site, it has a little of everything for everyone and no pressure to join in on any of it. I personally stick to the fitness and support side of things but take no insult from what others find keep them interested and motivated :) Whatever works, works.
  • cubizzle
    Options

Yes I'm sure he has. He nor I are in any position to suggest this type of thing should not be allowed

Once again my point is this: If you went on an allergy forum looking for advice on helping combat allergies, and the first impression of the site was people discussing attractive men/women etc, then you would be put off - that's not to say it shouldn't be discussed in sections of the forum (off topic for example) just that if you clicked on recent posts to see what people on the forum were discussing, you would not stay - that's a shame don't you agree?

True. It would cause me to wonder exactly what kind of site it is, but it would not completely take me away from the site. Of course, that varies from person to person, obviously.

The chit chat board says fun & games. If you look at that ONE forum and immediately think that the whole site is like that, well...I'm sorry for you. There are what...5-6 other forums that are clearly dedicated to health, fitness, motivation, support, AND success.

The fun and games is for just that, fun and games.

I can tell you, I would probably not be as active with this site and logging my calories AND working out if it were not for the people I've met. And most of them have come from that section. Yes, some of the things in there are silly and pointless, but once you see that it's pointless, move on.
    Yes, there are the "rate the person above you", and the "whats sexy" topics, but they are for fun, and honestly, it's like a compliment. If I ever post on those (which I have, but only a couple times, not religiously), it's nice to hear someone say I have a nice smile, or nice eyes. Someone even told me I have good cheekbones, I've never heard that.

I tell people about this site and how helpful its been, and I also add in the social aspect. It's fun, and it makes changing my habits and working out fun too.

The chit chat forums are not meant to chase people away, they are meant to be there for fun. To take a break from the every day boring things. Yeah, you look at most recent topics and you see a lot from that forum, BUT as I said before, if you let it define how you view the site, then you might not have wanted to be here anyway.

I think I've said all I want...yes. :happy:

:flowerforyou: