Unsupportive friend... HELP!

Desterknee
Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
edited October 21 in Chit-Chat
This is really upsetting and I don't know what to do.

So my cat is really not supportive of my weight-loss. She was the last one I expected to act this way. She used to come over to me, hop on my belly, massage my fat, purr, and snuggle. This morning she comes over, puts a paw on my belly, gives me stank-eye and walks away. We barely hang out anymore.

You know what else? When I am clearing a path to do walking lunges she ALWAYS lays down right in the middle of it. And when I put my exercise mat on the floor she sits on it. When I get into push up position, she goes under my belly and gets in my way. SHE IS TRYING TO SABOTAGE ME! Why would she do that?

Do you think my weight loss is making her insecure? I don't understand why she would do this to me. I think I need to confront her but I'm not sure if I'm overreacting.

HELP!!

Replies

• SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Delete the cat! :laugh:
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    She's obviously jealous.
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    A cat? Well there is your problem. You should have got a fish. I have a goldfish that always motivates me during my workout.
  • She's obviously jealous.
    This!
  • meli_loses_it
    meli_loses_it Posts: 16 Member
    She's obviously jealous.

Cat's can be total *****es!
  • My dog motivates me.
    When I end up doing jumping jacks, or anything that causes my arms to fly through the air, he starts jumping and barking.

He keeps me going. :happy:
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    A pillow on your belly to replace the soft you've lost?

Is your cat overweight? Lots of times friends who are overweight feel insecure when they see us losing weight - they don't want to be the fat one.

Or, you could get a dog. Give 'me food, exercise and a warm place to sleep and they're your friend for life. Cats are so...complicated.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Kitty misses your love pillows...
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Try taking up running and bring her with you. Sounds like she needs tog et into shape too. :P
  • Desterknee
    My dog motivates me.

I wish I could have a dog but my apartment is too small!!! And she'll probably be jealous of the dog too.
    Is your cat overweight? Lots of times friends who are overweight feel insecure when they see us losing weight - they don't want to be the fat one.

I hate to say it, but she gained some weight after spending a week at someone else's house while we moved. This was over a year ago. She may be bitter that she can't lose it.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    You think you have problems? Try doing crunches with two big dogs laying on top of you and licking your face. You'd think they like the long walks too, but no. It is too hot for them and their poor little paws can't take it. They want water. So unsupportive. At least they are ALWAYS willing to eat my leftovers......
  • Desterknee
    Kitty misses your love pillows...

My boobs are love pillows too. And my butt. She's being picky, the *****.
    Try doing crunches with two big dogs laying on top of you and licking your face.

That IS support. They're trying to push you harder, add weight to your crunches, keep you cool (albeit smelly). My cat is just being an *kitten* about it.
  • Ha ha! Cats like fat people because they are warm and cushy! My cat was the same way before she passed. She would lay on my stomach when I would try to do crunches. :-)
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    funny-cat-pictures-lolcats-screw-exercise.jpg
  • Desterknee
    what-do-you-mean-im-fat.jpg

My cat is like this. IN DENIAL.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    wouldn't be a problem if he was dead

Just sayin'
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Yea,shes gotta get over you not being so fluffy anymore! You need all the support you can get in these hard times and shes trying to hold you back! I hope you can work through this,maybe get a small pillow and set it on your lap for her...she might think your still all there and get over it lol
  • Hadassk
    Hadassk Posts: 63
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Absolutely love this!!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    My cats are also sabotaging my weight loss efforts. They steal my yoga mat for nap beds, sit on me when I am doing crunches, or headbutt me while I am doing push-ups. Next they will be baking brownies and meowing "EAT! EAT!"
  • Desterknee
    wouldn't be a problem if he was dead

Just sayin'

BRUTAL
  • Lol, my dog gets in the way of me doing any kind of workout. I just started taking her on walks. She's much more supportive now. She likes to run fast which actually helps motivate me :) I'm not sure how you would involve your cat but you could try? :)
  • Desterknee
    I'm not sure how you would involve your cat but you could try? :)

Maybe I could use her to do shoulder presses
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    The cat is obviously jealous, you need to sit down and have a long talk with her and then introduce her to MFP.

I'll friend request her when she joins! :flowerforyou:

That or buy a really cute outfit and just rub your success in her face every chance you get. :drinker:

edited because I can't spell today. :grumble:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    euthanasia
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    oh my bad, sorry ! thought you said husband.

get a new cat.
  • Desterknee

euthanasia

oh my bad, sorry ! thought you said husband.

get a new cat.

LMAO

<3
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    LMAO!!!!!
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    My dog motivates me.

I wish I could have a dog but my apartment is too small!!! And she'll probably be jealous of the dog too.

I hate to say it, but she gained some weight after spending a week at someone else's house while we moved. This was over a year ago. She may be bitter that she can't lose it.

A dog won't be much better. At least not my dog. Anytime I get the mat out, he comes over and stares at me. I can see it in his eyes, he's saying "Again?!? You're going to jump around when it does not involve playing with me again?!". Its like I'm annoying him that early in the morning. He tries to get in my way, lick my face, walk right in my path while I'm doing jumps. He eventually gives up and goes in the bedroom and gives me the evil eye from there.
    And then when I take him for runs with me, he deliberately tries to trip me up.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Yeah, I can totally relate. Our cat just won't let me get up off the couch.

Cathug2.jpg
  • :huh: Why would you even think of expecting a cat to get involved in your successes? Its not like they can congratulate you or anything Cats have a mind of their own as all animals do. However If you are concerned that your cat does not pay as much attention to you or wont go away from you, this could maybe be that your can may need a little guidence to adjusting to this new part of you. Because all of this self changing yourself may not be what you cat is used to. But dont get angry with a cat.:smile::wink:
This discussion has been closed.