Need help convincing wife to join in weight loss/fitness

Options

Replies

• elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Small steps - if you go out biking, ask if she wants to come with - make it an opportunity for a "together" activity, NOT simply a "workout". You will probably have to choose between doing a 'lighter' activity that you both can do, or a workout that you would do on your own. Same with food - Make dinner for both of you (if you don't already) of yummy healthy recipes. But don't lecture if she is resistant, or wants to eat something else. Small steps over time can lead to a big lifestyle change, but like anything else it will probably involve compromise and time.
  • Magnamus
    Magnamus Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If the horse is blind you must bring the water to its lips.
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Don't.

When she gets ready she will...you did! Just continue to love on her even the more!!!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with everybody else.

When I first started changing my eating and exercise habits my boyfriend was supportive and had interested in doing the same (similar to your wife) but couldn't seem to figure out where to start at, so he just ate whatever he wanted and didn't change anything.
    About two or so weeks after I began dropping weight fairly quickly he took interest and we began going to the gym together on weekends and supporting eachother. This motivated him a lot. He then found a friend to go to the gym with during the week, while I work out during the week separately (we work opposite shifts).

It was COMPLETELY his choice. I didn't want to go through all of these changes alone, but I certainly didn't push him into changing with me.

The best advice I can give you is give your wife a starting point. Show her how easy it is (using MFP, working out together, etc.) and see if she shows interest. If not, let it go and maybe she will come around eventually. :)
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Ok I am with the *don't* people...however...

Try making her dinner. Your way...with her in mind (no mushrooms if she hates them, for instance).

And ask for her support...like going with you on a walk because you would rather not go alone.

Don't try to make her get healthy, ask for her help so you can get in better shape - for her.

I did this with my husband for a while, and then all of a sudden he jumped on board. Lost 40 pounds before me. LOL So wrong. But he was surprised to find out he liked it...and I tricked him cuz I said I desperately wanted help to look better for him. :)
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    She's not ready yet. When she is, she will jump on board, but until then, there is little you can do that you aren't already doing. Maybe it would be better to not mention your loss, though. Just let her see it for herself. Some people are motivated to do things when it's THEIR idea rather than someone else's. I speak from experience. Hubby and I have rarely been healthy at the same time. It's usually one or the other of us trying at any given time. When I'm ready, I do it, and when he's ready, he does it. This time, we are doing it together, but only because we just both happened to be ready at the same time. It's nice, but in the real world, it doesn't always work out that way. Good luck!
  • sustainablehealth
    Options
    Hi there.

The more you try the more she'll rebel against it. I joined myfitnesspal to support my client who uses this to track her food and exercise daily. I am a health coach and have my Master's of Public Health in Health Promotion. I am trained in behavior change theory and practice, AKA moving people from the exact stage your wife is in to slowly but surely deciding for herself that pursuing a healthy lifestyle is what she wants. It has to come from her. She has to be ready, willing and able to do it. Maybe what you're doing doesn't interest her, maybe she doubts her physical capabilities, maybe she's willing but doesn't know where to start because its overwhelming. These are huge barriers for people. And that is where I can help specifically. I help people uncover what exactly it is that is keeping them from change.

The posts from this group are dead on. You can't push her into it.

I can help with smoking cessation, stress management, physical activity, nutrition etc.,

The issue is getting her to take that first step. If you'd like to give me call I can help use some specific techniques that will help to get her thinking about it without you sounding pushy. Send me note if you are interested. I always do free consultations. I believe thinking about starting a healthy lifestyle shouldn't cost a dime.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My husband just does not want to lose weight or work out, or anything healthy for that matter. I have asked for years. I am tired of asking.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is to continue with what you are doing for yourself, setting an example WITHOUT being showy about it. No "see, honey, I can do it and you could too" or anything.

Offer to share some of whatever healthy food you are eating, or make a meal for the two of you that is healthy that she will like. Again, NOT saying, "Why don't I make us a nice healthy meal so you can see how nice it is." Something like, "I want to make dinner tonight, so you can put your feet up and relax. You deserve a break," would be better.

If you keep telling her she should join you, no good will come of that.

This. If you are making dinner, you get to choose what to make, so choose something healthy. But as soon as you turn it into a "look see how good I am and how bad you are" contest, you lose.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get my wife to join me on my weight loss and fitness lifestyle adjustment.

I started mine in May 2012, and I was hoping to lead by example and that she would join in once she started seeing my results. Unluckily, my loss and fitness lifestyle change has added animosity (hostility) towards me for doing something about my weight. She gets annoyed when I'm logging my food intake and my exercising. She rolls her eyes anytime I bring up how much I've lost ("Lost 2 pounds this week...", etc) She says that she wants to do something, but that's about as far as it goes.

Any suggestions?
    Don't say anymore about it. People hate being reminded about their own downfalls. When she is ready and willing, that's when she'll do it.
    Old saying "A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still."

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This article is pretty helpful with this topic. Bascially you can't make her go, she has to go when she's ready (I have the same problem with my spouse)

http://www.heandsheeatclean.com/2012/07/winning-over-your-significant-other.html
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I agree with all others DONT.

Keep doing what your doing. My husband started before me and I was like Nope aint doing it. After a couple of months I saw him getting fitter and I was like I need to do something. He never tried to get me to lose with him, but he did always offer for me to workout with him. He would say that he has more fun with me or that he likes having me around. He was very sweet. Finally one day I decided to try to lose and went with him. We had so much fun that now those are like our date night out! I would suggest offering to include her, but never for her to lose weight. Women take offense to suggestions that they need to lose weight.

Good Luck!
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Since I have been losing weight my mom has been the same way towards me as your wife with you. The reason for the hostility is because deep down she does want to be healthier but doesn't want to sacrifice her current lifestyle and eating habits.

I have learned that you have to want it for yourself bad enough to do something about it. I wish I could say that there was something that you could say or do for your wife to make her motivated but the truth is, if she isn't motivated by your success so far then I don't think you will be able to convince her!

I wish you the best of luck with your dilema and congrats to you on your new healthy lifestyle!
  • Cassie8877
    Cassie8877 Posts: 177
    Options
    Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get my wife to join me on my weight loss and fitness lifestyle adjustment.

Don't.

It's like trying to get smokers to quit. If they want to, they'll do it. It's a personal journey people have to decide to take on their own. Like they say."You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

Making someone lose weight or do something they really don't want to do is ill advised and just about impossible. Forget it, concentrate on yourself. If she decides she wants to do something, like really wants to do something. Then let her find her own way and take her own weight loss journey.

I love this!!! My husband is the same way he wants me to do great but he complains about his own body weight but he won't push himself to do better. No matter how much I try to encourage him.. It has to be a want and willing to put in the work for urself !
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the same animosity from the OH, not about my weight loss journey as i dont bring it up in convo, nor do i EVER mention that she could do with losing a pound or two herself, but the fact that i do quite a bit of cycling is what really grips her ****.

I do my best to minimize the impact it has on family life, i will get up early to cycle to work whenever i can (mainly weather permitting) and i go with a few friends for around 3-4hrs on a Sunday morning, again i try to get out early so i'm back at a reasonable time. Recently as the weather has been ever so slightly drier i am biking to work more often, but the only drawback of this is i am back home approx 45mins later than if i drove to work, then she has a go at me because i cycle to work and get home a little later than normal! And if i do manage to get a few rides to work in the week she will then have a go at me for wanting to get out on a Sunday morning ride with some friends. She has absolutely no interest in getting fit or healthy herself and i think she wants me to join her in the morgue in a couple of years. :mad:
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Just leave her alone and don't tell her anything about your weight loss.........sometimes those who are unhappy with they way they are and just can't bring themselves to change, will do everything and anything to those who are doing.......its her body and as much as you love her, she has to do it for herself when she is ready........:bigsmile:
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says "don't". Also spare her all the details on what your doing and your accomplishments. Let your results speak for themselves, and eventually she'll come around. When that happens, don't bombard her with all this fitness & diet info. Support her & answer her questions.

Some things that worked on others were taking on more food/cooking responsibilities around the house - weight loss starts in the kitchen. Take charge and make a couple of tasty & health meals once or twice a week. She'll appreciate your efforts and it'll start the process for her
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Best you can do is lead by example, but unfortunately there is nothing you can do to get her to join you if she is not ready for it... Trust me I know to well, my wife and family tried for a decade to get me to wake up and realize what I was doing to myself and how important it was to get my health figured out... Every time they came at me I pushed back twice as hard cause I didn't have a problem, they did... Well 10 years went by and the light finally came on and now (except for my wife) some of those same family members are heading right down the road they tried to get me off of... and they have seen the amount of work it has taken for me to regain control of my life and yet they still don't get it... But I know to well I can not change their ways...... Best of Luck....
  • mrsgokev
    mrsgokev Posts: 20
    Options
    I think you have heard the same advice over and over again. I am just concerned about the pure animosity she has towards you about this. I'd be concerned that there was some deep-seeded thing in there that is really bothering her and she hasn't communicated it.

I have lost a few pounds, so far, and my husband hasn't changed his ways at all. I don't ride him about it because I know it won't do any good. I sat around for years saying that I needed to lose weight but knew the discipline, time, and commitment it would take (I've lost it before so I REALLY knew). One day, something clicked and I just went at it full force. Although my husband doesn't participate in any exercise or counting calories, he is very supportive of me doing it. I do hope that my example will make that *thing* click in his head and make him want to do it too. Either way, he isn't trying to sabotage my efforts. He compliments me all the time. I guess this is why I am looking at your situation more than just the surface level animosity because, as your wife, she should want you to be the best you can be.
  • turquoise3
    turquoise3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You've already received some great advice, but i'm going to chip in a little :) I have the same problem, except my husband is encouraging of what i'm doing, but resistant to coming along for the ride with me lol. He thinks he can become healthy by not eating all day long, then binging late at night on unhealthy food. I have tried to speak to him, and even suggested i make him breakfast and lunch similar to what i'm having (we already share the same dinner). It's in one ear and out the other. I've just forgot about trying to get him to do anything, and focusing on myself and my journey. Sounds like you should do the same :)

Oh and i should mention that the only reason i'd like him to come along and do it with me is because i'd enjoy his company, input, and frankly the late night binging is hard on my resolve.