Is there any point to lifting?

Options
13»

Replies

• NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is what people do when they suck at running.

Who runs?

people too smart to lift?
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Oh, is AbnormalInsaneCaliforniaGirl commenting again? :huh: That's always entertaining. :laugh: :laugh:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to do both, but losing weight takes precedence..So I have to do one or the other, i pick cardio over weight training...at least until I lose 20lbs more of fat.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Ok sorry for attempting to hijack this post but it seems we have some lifting experts attention so here goes....

1) Generally speaking: Calorie deficit whilst lifting heavy = no muscle gain, but helps retain muscle (widely accepted)

2) Calorie neutral whilst lifting heavy = presumably no muscle gain, but more muscle retention????

3) Small calorie surplus whilst lifting heavy = Slight muscle gain but a little fat gain too?

4) Large calorie surplus whilst lifting heavy = Higher muscle gain but fat gain too?

Assume all macros are being catered for and ever increasing weights, please confirm 2, 3 and 4 for me

I guess what I'm asking is this. If I'm happy with my fat levels, i.e a slim waist and not much stomach fat, if I wanted to gain a bit extra muscle (what guy wouldn't!?) what's my optimum calorie intake, just above maintenance? Higher?
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! No nudies :P

As for waiting or not, when I lost my weight many moons ago I was left with extra skin. Back in the 80s when I lost my weight we didn't have the info we have now and I knew nothing about weightlifting and toning. I just thought if I lost the weight everything else would fall into place. If I knew then what I know now, I woulda been lifting back then!

Sooo to your answer your question, trolly (lol), the proof is in my pics. I lift heavy enough to fail in 8-10 reps when Tony Horton allows me lol
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 28 lbs but look like I've lost 40+, and that's purely because I lift heavy. And the things it's done for my mood and pain management - nearly miraculous. If you're here to drop a number, don't lift. If you want to look hawt in your jeans and feel fabulous, lift. :wink:
  • Wonderob
    Options
    Ok sorry for attempting to hijack this post but it seems we have some lifting experts attention

Damn, it seems i was wrong!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Ok sorry for attempting to hijack this post but it seems we have some lifting experts attention so here goes....
    I'm no "expert", but I'll take my shots. If I'm wrong, hopefully some of the others will correct me:
    1) Generally speaking: Calorie deficit whilst lifting heavy = no muscle gain, but helps retain muscle (widely accepted)
    Generally speaking - with the exception of some slight "noob gains" and truly genetic freaks.
    2) Calorie neutral whilst lifting heavy = presumably no muscle gain, but more muscle retention????
    Possible to experience some "recomposition" (fat loss/slight muscle gain). It's a delicate balancing act, though. General consensus is that you pretty much maintain where you are.
    3) Small calorie surplus whilst lifting heavy = Slight muscle gain but a little fat gain too?

4) Large calorie surplus whilst lifting heavy = Higher muscle gain but fat gain too?
    3 and 4 depend in part upon your genetics, which is something each of us is stuck with and can't do anything about. Part of it also depends on where you are (in regards to bodyfat %) when you start to bulk - the most widely accepted parameters I've seen is to cut to 10%, then bulk to around 15%. There's a theory that the leaner you are, the more predisposed you'll be toward partitioning the nutrients toward muscle instead of fat (but again, genetics are going to play a role in that).
    I guess what I'm asking is this. If I'm happy with my fat levels, i.e a slim waist and not much stomach fat, if I wanted to gain a bit extra muscle (what guy wouldn't!?) what's my optimum calorie intake, just above maintenance? Higher?
    IMO, the safest approach would be to start around 500 calories over maintenance and see how it goes. Helpful if you have some reasonably accurate method of measuring your BF% so you can tell how much is fat vs. muscle. If it's working, experiment with upping the calories until you reach a point where the fat gains are unacceptable to you in proportion to the LBM gains. You can only put on so much muscle over a given period of time (which again, varies between each of us due to genetics), so when you reach/surpass that point, you'll start seeing a disproportionate amount of fat gain....time to cut back the calories.
  • Wonderob
    Options
    IMO, the safest approach would be to start around 500 calories over maintenance and see how it goes. Helpful if you have some reasonably accurate method of measuring your BF% so you can tell how much is fat vs. muscle. If it's working, experiment with upping the calories until you reach a point where the fat gains are unacceptable to you in proportion to the LBM gains. You can only put on so much muscle over a given period of time (which again, varies between each of us due to genetics), so when you reach/surpass that point, you'll start seeing a disproportionate amount of fat gain....time to cut back the calories.

This is great advice thanks

I'm adding another variable into the mix too unfortunately in that at 47 I'm fighting a losing battle to retain as much muscle as possible!

I will give the 500 calorie surplus a go though - sounds like a decent figure. Maybe I should cut down to 10% BF first though
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    This is great advice thanks

I'm adding another variable into the mix too unfortunately in that at 47 I'm fighting a losing battle to retain as much muscle as possible!

I will give the 500 calorie surplus a go though - sounds like a decent figure. Maybe I should cut down to 10% BF first though
    I'm right there with you - I turn 50 this year, so I know exactly what you mean!

I'm going to cut to 10% (or somewhere close) before I start a bulk cycle. I'm lifting while I cut to retain as much LBM as possible until then. I'm pretty realistic about my genetic potential, but as you said in your first post - what guy doesn't want to gain a little extra muscle?