Any other Daddy's take their daughters on dates?

Options

Replies

• cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My daughter is still 1 year old but yes we do Daddy/Daughter dates every Sunday afternoon. One of my favorite times of the week. We go out for burgers while Mommy is at work. Its a tradition I plan to keep for a long time.
  • bluegrasschica
    Options
    Man I wish I had a dad like you growing up. That's so sweet to bring your daughter out
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Aw mannnn...

Daddy and his litter girl....clenches at my heart every damn time!
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Okay, that is sweet, and I like the idea of teaching your daughter that her partner should treat her well (although I'm not going to assume she's heterosexual, she is, after all, only 7).

But...I find it really disturbing when adults refer to themselves as "daddy" or "mommy."

I don't normally call myself that. But since I was thinking of her when I wrote it...........and she calls me Daddy........that's how it came out. Sorry if that's disturbing to you..........
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    That is super sweet. Some of my best memories were hanging out with my dad as a kid... ♥ He'd sometimes show up with gummy worms or just something cool for me for no reason.

Upvotes for all the awesome fathers out there. Don't forget to surprise them with little cool unexpected things now and then, it really does mean the world to us. :D
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My daddy took me on dates. He even arranged a date for me for one of my first formal school dances so that I could go. My avatar is me and my dad for his last picture after he got ill. He was the one that gave me a love for family and friends and most of all integrity.

Kids come and go through their life stages and I was no different. But stay who you are and you will have an awesome relationship with them. My daddy was always there to catch me if I REALLY needed it. And in the end, I was there to catch my daddy when he needed it.

All of our cards we sent or gave to each other were addressed: To My Dearest Darling Daughter From: Your Dearest Darling Daddy or vice versa. It was that way for as long as I can remember.

There are not enough special daddies out there for our girls. Thank you for reminding me that there are actually some out there. :heart:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My dad used to do that with me, even when I was grown up and living away from home. Those are some of the memories I cherish most now that he's gone.

Dads - you won't regret a move like this.

My hubby with be doing this with our daughter when she's a couple years older, and I'll be doing it with my son.
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 7 years old and I like to take her on dates whenever we can find the time. It's not nearly often enough but we both love it whenever we do:) Sometimes she picks the place and what we will do and sometimes I do. Sometimes we both get a little dressed up but I always open all the doors for her, hold her hand, and treat her like a queen:) When we get to where we are going we sit down and I ask her why we are here, she answers because you love me:) I say that's right! Until you find a man that treats you better than me..........it will always be you and me.

Are there any other Daddy's that do similar things with their daughters? What about Mommy's taking their boys on dates? I would love to here any new ideas that I can use with my kids.

I cannot even begin to tell you how wise/smart/forward thinking this is. I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't already know but my wife runs her own non-profit organization public speaking on issues of sex, love and relationships. This is one of the single most important factors in daughters NOT bringing home a loser/abusive idiot. Especially if you can continue this habit into her early teens. In her later teens/young adulthood as they start pulling away a little from their parents (which is completely normal/natural) She will gauge every single boy she goes out with against how daddy treats her (even the super cute ones shes ga-ga over) and when those boys don't measure up, she will kick them to the curb faster than you can say, "heybabywannagetnakedinmycar"!!! Kudos for you Big Guy....very well done.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Yep. Birthday dinners. My wife heard a friend talk about this and we co-opted the idea: starting at age 5, the girls get to go out to dinner at a restaurant of their choosing on their birthday (I have two girls, now 11 and 8). When we started, I got all excited, even dressed up for the occasion. The first dinner? Luby's (cafeteria - think Furr's). It's where she wanted to go.
  • theactionfigure
    Options
    DEFINITELY! Our daughters need to have a standard as to what to expect from a date. I open doors for her, push her chair in, take her to dinner, to the movies, shopping. She is 14 this weekend, and I'm looking forward to getting home and doing it again! I even sent her flowers today at her school for her birthday!
    I travel A LOT for work, so I try to take advantage of the time I am home with her AND my son.
  • og8403
    og8403 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I go on dates with my daughter all the time! seeming I'm a single dad, no on else for now that I'd rather spend my time with.
  • theactionfigure
    Options
    Okay, that is sweet, and I like the idea of teaching your daughter that her partner should treat her well (although I'm not going to assume she's heterosexual, she is, after all, only 7).

But...I find it really disturbing when adults refer to themselves as "daddy" or "mommy."

I don't normally call myself that. But since I was thinking of her when I wrote it...........and she calls me Daddy........that's how it came out. Sorry if that's disturbing to you..........

How can something so right, sweet, and necessary be TWISTED into something sexual or offensive?! My daughter is 14 and she still calls me Daddy! When I send her cards, I sign them 'Daddy', I am her Daddy, and if someone finds that weird or offensive then maybe they should have had more dates with their own Daddy!
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I do that with all my kids. I take my daughter out, and don't really accomplish much in depth, but shes 2... I take out 1 kid a month with just me. Let them choose the place to have fun (be it movie, lazer tag, chuck-e-cheese) and I choose the place to eat. When we eat, I usually have a few things to talk to them about. My last one with my 8 year old I let him know Santa, the easter bunny, and the tooth fairy weren't real. These times have been some of the best in my life. With 3 kids, its good to have them have a time away from everyone. :)

I could never do that...tell my kids that Santa and the rest Don't exist. Kids are forced to grow up to fast as it is...I live the fact that my 9 year old pretends to believe in Santa...whether it is for my 6 year olds benefit or maybe because she thinks she would get less, either way, I think it is awesome!

Yeah, every situation is different :) My 8 year old is a kid everyone loves, but he has this huge emotional heart and it was time for him to know. We parent with a lot of logic, its our style, doesn't mean we are wrong or everyone who doesn't is right. Seemed counter-intuitive to keep going with that stuff.
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    our local YMCA puts on a valentines day Daddy Daughter Dance... my Girls ask me all the time if they are having a dance. they absolutely loved it and want it to be valentines day all the time so they can go to the dance. I also look forward to it and want to make sure they have a good example of how they should be treated. I also make sure to treat their mother (my wife) properly and take her out on dates. I make sure they know we are going on dates and treat her with the same respect I want them to be treated with. How Men act around their daughters towards women goes along way toward what they will accept when they get older. (*disclaimer* not always as I'm sure there are some great women who didn't have good men in their lives growing up)
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

My kids (10 & 7) have started calling me "mom" instead of "mommy" & that makes me a little sad.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My step-Dad took me on a date one time and it is one of the happiest memories I have of him. The best part was that we rode on his motorcycle! He was a great guy and I miss him very much...
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options

My kids (10 & 7) have started calling me "mom" instead of "mommy" & that makes me a little sad.

I mess with my wife all the time with having our kids call her mom. She hates it, but its warming her up to the fact that it will probably get to that one day naturally. I don't do it for that reason, I do it cause we're a family of comedians. :)
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    That is so cute! When I was in high school, my dad would take me out to lunch every Wednesday. I love my mom, but I have a special relationship with my daddy. :heart:
  • skinnycalifornia
    skinnycalifornia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    what a nice dad!:flowerforyou:
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I took my 10 yr old to the Daddy daughter dance last February. It was a wonderful time for us, if you haven't gone to one please do. They are terrific.