How to repair a damaged metabolism and starvation mode.

Options

Replies

• remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Saving this
  • Luvmykurvs
    Luvmykurvs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Read but would like to reread. Thanks for such for such an informative post. Bookmarking this.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Thank you for the post.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Just to slightly reiterate so I understand
    When he body goes into 'starvation' mode our body depletes not just fat store but also muscle tone..
    And muscle tone helps keep out metabolism healthy yeah?
    So If will make sure to keep at the strenghth exercises and not let muscle tone diminish it will help prevent 'metabolism damage' ...
    Is that right??
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Also so far everyone has told me I need to keep my food intake regular daily..
    But if my goal is 1200 and some days I 800 and some days I eat 1600 just for example... Would it really matter ( or would it even be better) as long as the goals averaged out over the week?

Is it ok to eat less some days as long as its not all the time?

( some days I'm home with my son with all the time to concentrate in a healthy diet, other days between work and UNi lectures and social life and just flat out and calorie intake can be VErY low.. And I don't like eating I I'm not hungry but I've been worried about the irregularity of the week affecting my metabolism)?!
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Also so far everyone has told me I need to keep my food intake regular daily..
    But if my goal is 1200 and some days I 800 and some days I eat 1600 just for example... Would it really matter ( or would it even be better) as long as the goals averaged out over the week?

Is it ok to eat less some days as long as its not all the time?

( some days I'm home with my son with all the time to concentrate in a healthy diet, other days between work and UNi lectures and social life and just flat out and calorie intake can be VErY low.. And I don't like eating I I'm not hungry but I've been worried about the irregularity of the week affecting my metabolism)?!

I'm interested in the answer to this question, too!
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is a great article. Thanks for sharing. Puts my slow weight loss in a very good light!
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • TMcSter
    TMcSter Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I need to read up on this before it happens to me.
  • sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Good thing to know is that yo-yo dieting won't affect long term weightloss nor metabolism:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_128325.html

'This type of "weight cycling" does not have a negative effect on metabolism, the study found. The findings may be significant, the experts added, because yo-yo dieting affects up to 40 percent of the population in the Western world, and estimates indicate that nearly half of American women are currently dieting to lose weight.

"A history of unsuccessful weight loss should not dissuade an individual from future attempts to shed pounds or diminish the role of a healthy diet and regular physical activity in successful weight management," study senior author Dr. Anne McTiernan, a member of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center's Public Health Sciences Division, in Seattle, said in a center news release.'
    Interesting information :)
  • sassy616
    sassy616 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • sfstegall
    sfstegall Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Okay, he lost me as soon as he started mocking people (young women) who say they aren't losing weight despite a restricted-calorie diet. I'm sure there are plenty of liars out there, but to characterize all those who complain as liars and self-deluded naifs is an insult. How typical of so many in the medical establishment (or those who support it) to blame the victim. How typical of men to blame silly women for the failure of their theories. It may be that the rest of this article is more useful and more sober-minded, but it does not matter to me. The author pissed me off as soon as he started condescending to women, to dieters, to all those who don't fit his preconcieved notion of what a perfect dieter is. A little more humility on his part would have gone a long way to keeping my attention.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    During the post-training window of opportunity, not only will the carbs NOT get stored as fat, (they’ll get sucked right up into muscle glycogen), this strategy can dramatically improve your body composition and workout recovery

Can anyone tell me how long this "post-training window of opportunity" is, when one can eat carbs? From what I've read, this might be a good time to have a protein shake or something similar.

Thanks!

Immediately after workout is a good time to take your protein shake with fast carbs as this will be absorbed very quickly by your glycogen depleted body and the protein will be used immediately for muscle repair. The most articles I've read from bodybuilding sites said that the "window of opportunity" could be within 30 minutes after working out. This is a good approach, well at least for me. I've been doing it for a couple of years now and the results and my recovery is way better compared when I was a total noob and not taking my protein and fast carbs right away post workout. You still have to eat a complete meal an hour after your post workout shake though. I hope this helps. ;)

this is a myth. there's no 30 minute window of opportunity.
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • crazysquaw51
    Options
    thanks, this has really helped me understand why I shouldn't go below 1200 calories, I was trying to go on 900 or less and didn'ty lose and now I have been doing more like the 1200 or 1400 at times with exercises, havn't lost weight but have loss inches
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options
    Bump for later :smile:
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    bump
  • gingerlynnlove
    gingerlynnlove Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump, i'd like to read this later!
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Great post. Due to hitting a plateau the last few weeks, I have upped my cals to a 15% cut of my TDEE and I EAT constantly! I stepped on the scale today after only a few days, and have lost weight already. I never believed it a few months ago, but in order to lose weight the key seems to be, exercise, lift weights, and EAT :happy: