Before & After Art Fail

Options
wbandel
wbandel Posts: 530 Member
I don't know how interested everyone here is in art, but I thought I may share with you all some interesting before and after images.

62428391_frescopic1.gif

The before is a fresco that is over 100 yrs old. The after shows what happened when an elderly woman decided she ought to start a DIY project to restore the painting without the permission of the church it is in.

Believe it or not, there are people signing petitions now to keep the painting the way it is since the likelihood of it being restored are near zero now.

Replies

• Squiggs67
    Squiggs67 Posts: 178
    Options
    I don't know why people can't leave well enough alone!!!
  • nancyko
    nancyko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, that makes me sick that somebody could do that to a piece of art. What was she thinking??
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I read that yesterday. She claims the priest gave her permission. Someone else associated with the church (I believe) said she was only to do the clothing but she got carried away. He said she said, either way we lose a piece of art.
  • wbandel
    Options
    I read that yesterday. She claims the priest gave her permission. Someone else associated with the church (I believe) said she was only to do the clothing but she got carried away. He said she said, either way we lose a piece of art.

At least we gained another! j/k I can't believe people want to save this piece of art the way it is now. It isn't like it was done by a professional artist, who purposefully made it that way. It was made by someone with no talent. It adds nothing to art or history, yet some want to keep it as a document, to what, stupidity?
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i know its wrong, but i cannot stop laughing! people need to know that something like that should be professionally repaired or cleaned if needed to be, not let some woman do it. looks like my 4 year olds paintings! hahahah
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I don't know how interested everyone here is in art, but I thought I may share with you all some interesting before and after images.

62428391_frescopic1.gif

The before is a fresco that is over 100 yrs old. The after shows what happened when an elderly woman decided she ought to start a DIY project to restore the painting without the permission of the church it is in.

Believe it or not, there are people signing petitions now to keep the painting the way it is since the likelihood of it being restored are near zero now.

OH NOES!!!

scream.jpg
  • georgedarling
    georgedarling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I can hardly believe that is the same painting. Oh what a shame.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Whoooops:ohwell:
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Oh man, now we'll never know what Jesus really looked like!

Oh wait...

BuddyJesus.jpg

Whew, that was close.
  • omgiacobbi
    omgiacobbi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    She turned Jesus into a snow monkey. :cry:
  • TexasRattlesnake
    Options
    Oh man, now we'll never know what Jesus really looked like!

Oh wait...

BuddyJesus.jpg

Whew, that was close.

The son of God was a winker? Totally just lost some respect for that guy. Douchey.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options
    The art lover in me comes close to developing a facial tic just looking at that "improvement"...but the rest of me just feels bad for the woman that did it. She's now infamous for completely destroying a classic work of art, when she was honestly just trying to help! It's not her fault (entirely) that her lack of skills made Jesus look like a cross between Andre the Giant and a capuchin monkey.
  • wbandel
    Options

62428391_frescopic1.gif

OH NOES!!!

scream.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Genem30
    Options

62428391_frescopic1.gif

OH NOES!!!

scream.jpg

I could probably touch that up for you.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Depending on what she used, and the doubt she sealed it, they might be able to carefully scrape or wipe off her work and still have the original underneath. But that depends on the chemicals involved. Time would also be a factor since the longer her paint or whatever she used sits there, the less chance you have of doing anything.

Oh I bet the original artist's rolling in his grave.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Is it completely horrible of me that I sat here and laughed while reading this? That after image is horrendous.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    Options
    Oh I bet the original artist's rolling in his grave.

Unlike the subject. I mean, Jesus would totally be rolling too, but he got outta that *****.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    no i think you have to get an actual artist to fix it, cant go the next century with Jesus looking like an emoji
  • Genem30
    Options
    Based on a Google Image search, there's definitely a market for 'furry Jesus', so maybe this was a blessing in disguise.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    Options
    ...so maybe this was a blessing in disguise.

Very punny!