Before & After Art Fail

Options
2»

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I can't help but be reminded of the movie Bean, in which Mr. Bean accidentally causes this painting
    690px-WhistlersMother.jpg

to end up like this:
    mrbeanwhistlersmother.jpg
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    Wtf was that person thinking! Is that for real??? :cry:
  • nalfavi
    nalfavi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    she has SOME talent, if you look at the clothing is nicely done. The face... yeesh. If one of the above commentors was correct when she was given permission solely to redo his robes, then it wouldn't have been so bad.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Depending on what she used, and the doubt she sealed it, they might be able to carefully scrape or wipe off her work and still have the original underneath. But that depends on the chemicals involved. Time would also be a factor since the longer her paint or whatever she used sits there, the less chance you have of doing anything.

Oh I bet the original artist's rolling in his grave.

I'm guessing that since the fresco paint layers were already peeling off that they are worried that they will be completely ripped off by sticking to the oil paint on top. Some things are just too fragile to fix. They'd probably have to do some amazing chemical or light removal tricks to even attempt it, and from the sounds of it, it's probably not worth the price.
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options
    I noticed that if I hold my mouse on the side scrollbar while laughing histerically, the images will jump up and down.
  • wbandel
    Options
    she has SOME talent, if you look at the clothing is nicely done. The face... yeesh. If one of the above commentors was correct when she was given permission solely to redo his robes, then it wouldn't have been so bad.

Having basic concepts of shading, such as a middle schooler would have, just isn't the same as the knowledge, skills, and training of someone who has gone through a graduate program in restoration. I agree that the robes could have been worse, but there is also the question of whether or not they should even have been painted. Usually for restoration projects there is a committee that is selected to talk about the various types of restoration, such as painting it to look like the original, leaving it as it is but archiving it so that it doesn't receive more damage, and painting it slightly off color so that it is obvious which parts are original and which are fabricated to give the illusion of the whole. She just decided all on her own to restore it to the original and how to go about achieving the look of it, without plans or consultations. In my mind her lack of skill is just the tip of what is wrong with the whole picture.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    This thread is turning into an art discussion which is outside of my comfort level.

More Jesus humor please.
  • wbandel
    Options
    This thread is turning into an art discussion which is outside of my comfort level.

More Jesus humor please.

Haha, whoops. :blushing: Hmm...I don't know much Jesus humor, but I ran across these in relation to Potato Jesus.

tumblr_m970t5jqr41qbl2fao1_500.png

I think I just may have to use this one as a motivational poster for my studio.

Ecce-Homo-3.jpg

I would love to be an art history professor. Just while my students are falling asleep in boredom I would slip a couple of these in there to see if anyone is paying attention. :laugh:

Potato Jesus (Fresco Jesus) also has created a twitter account to bemoan his new face.

https://twitter.com/FrescoJesus
  • wbandel
    Options
    5R8x3hzpNQllWC-xmkrKXDl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVaiQDB_Rd1H6kmuBWtceBJ.jpg

New sources show that there may be a new culprit.
  • wbandel
    Options
    7543427.jpg

Solution to the pesky smile debate.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    That is HORRIBLE. Wow.