Couldn't finish c25k on day one:(

Options
13»

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Slow down, keep at it, and don't be afraid to repeat workouts. It took me 5 months to make it through the 8 week program.
    Also, make sure you're eating enough!
  • alyja09
    alyja09 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have some advice. Keep going. The whole point of C25K is that you do what you can do, then each day and each week you try to do a little more. For some people, the first week is too easy. For others, it's too hard. Don't worry about it. Do what you can do, and each time out, try to do a little bit more. So you can't go as far as the program goal on day one? So what. Not a problem. Do what you can. Then try do more.

Your neighborhood is hilly? GOOD. Then you'll get into shape much faster. Feeling wiped out? GOOD. That means you're trying your best to achieve something you could not previously do. Feeling frustrated? GOOD. That means you care. Keep trying. Keep going. Keep improving.

Can I just say this is the best advice ever..
  • RealMattHopkins
    RealMattHopkins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I tried c25k and failed too. That was when I first started out running. I have a trainer now that taught me the heart rate method. You are suppose to walk or jog or run at

What is The Maffetone Method

Here’s my break down of it.

1. Calculate your target heart rate using the 180 rule. Basically, 180 – your age. Your training range in 10 point under that. For me that means my range is 137-147 BPM.

2. Spend 15 minutes warming up to that range. When I started this was all walking.

3. Spend 15 minutes running in this range. The amount of time in this range can be increased once you are totally comfortable with it, but not more than once every 2 weeks.

4. Spend 15 minutes cooling down back under your heart range.

5. Run 5 or 6 days a week.

6. Once a month test yourself using a MAF test. Basically run a mile in your target heart range and record the time.

This method works very well. I can now run 10ks... probably more but I hurt my knee last fall and I'm so scared to run long distances now.

I agree that hills are so hard. I have a city near by that has hills (I call them mountains) and they tire me out faster than running on flat ground.

Yes... all of this is perfect. This is how I was trained to run as well and I made AMAZING improvements. Remembe rtoo that C25K doesn't consider your speed of running, just the time. You could be sprinting like a maniac for 30 seconds and burn up way more energy than a leisurely jog. The heart-rate method naturally takes that into account by making it about your heart rate (cardiovascular health) instead of a more vague measure like time.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You need to go super slow. I see a few people saying they run at 5 MPH and that may be too fast for you. I just graduated from the program and completed my first 5K yesterday going 4.3 MPH. You need to find a speed that works for your endurance. I repeated every week at least twice.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Repeat week one as many times as you need to before you get it down. Then move on to week 2 and repeat week 2 as many times as you need to.... Don't give up! These things take time... slow and steady wins this race I guarantee you. I've been running steadily for the last 9 months and still not where I want to be. I'm still working on it slowly, bit by bit piece by piece.

Don't give up!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    For those people who have done the couch to 5k program and weren't really runners before, which week did you feel had the most increase in difficulty for you?

Week 5. I didn't ever think I was going to be able to do the 20 minute run. I was running too fast. I bumped my speed down .5 MPH and I did it.
  • lolathompson
    lolathompson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like what you said.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I don't know if slowing down is great advice. If you're setting out at a certain pace, and you're comfortable in that rhythm, that may be your natural running pace... deliberately slowing down may make you even more tired (it sounds silly, but I've been there).

If, however, you KNOW you're running too fast, then you should absolutely slow down.

My advice would be to definitely keep going. If you can't finish an interval, you can't finish it... but attempt EVERY interval and aim to do better next time. Don't go home until you've done every interval.
    Build up to running that first day the whole way through by extending the first week if you need to, take as many runs as you need until you can finish it... then follow the program; run another two times that week and take your rest days before starting week two.

You may find that the leap from week two to week three is difficult once again, and if you need to extend your program by another run or two, don't be afraid to do so. The last run of the week should be doable, but still challenging... if it's easy, you're extending the program too much.

Remember that every single time you head out for your jogs, you're making progress... what you can't do today, you'll give another chance tomorrow.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For those people who have done the couch to 5k program and weren't really runners before, which week did you feel had the most increase in difficulty for you?

Day 2 of every week seemed the worst for me. Every time. Day one, I'd breeze through it, and think, "This is do-able," then day 2 would kick my bum, and I'd go into day 3 feeling defeated, but knock it out of the ball park. :smile:
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    Im on week 2 day 2 of c25k..I had to quit in the middle of day 1, it is tough especially if you are like me and have no running back ground. Def try again and see what happens :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I couldn't finish day one either.
    That was January 2011.

Yesterday I completed a half marathon.

Just keep at it.
  • Flopzsalter
    Flopzsalter Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I realize this post/ thread is older but I just wanted to say thank you all for all the advice and personal experiences. I downloaded the C25K app a while ago but finally decided to get out and do it. My main objective had little to do with running an actual 5K, I just wanted to be able to give my GSD the exercise she deserves (and needs) in a way that didn't take hours upon hours.
    Well we went out tonight and I failed miserably (only managed to last 17min 30 sec (and that was only because my pup needed a restroom break near the end). I felt like a failure! I have been doing jazzercise for months now and feeling better these days so I expected to finish Day 1 with no problems.
    Thanks to this thread I have found hope and will pick myself back up and try again on Sunday.
    Thanks and Pleasant Running!! ^_^
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    If you're going fast - SLOW DOWN. If you already are going quite slow, then you just have to keep plugging away at it. I know a lot of people couldn't finish week one either (and I nearly died when I did it as well, but I could finish), and the trick was just to repeat the week. Try running every other run rather than every run interval for the first week, and then try everyone the second week.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Finishing up C25K, tomorrow is Week 9 Day 3 for me! YAY!!!

It's taken me 9 weeks, but I am at the point of being able to do a 5.0 mph sprint @ a 4.5% incline for 60-Secs, it takes time.

My best advice that I've figured out doing this program, on the treadmill yes, running in my neighborhood after dark is NOT an option and the only time I have to workout, is stretch before you begin - stretch your quads, stretch your thighs, and your whole leg before hand, staying loose is the best way to do it!

When I started my runs were @ 4.6 - 4.8, the longer the runs got I figured out I needed to slow down, so now I pace at a 4.5 and do the sprints from above @ the end. There's nothing wrong with taking it slow.

Keep at it! The reward is better than Quitting! Showing yourself you can do it is WAY better than letting it go!