Why Pescatarian?

Options
So I'm vegan, but I'm just wondering if some people who are pescatarian can explain why they feel it's okay to eat fish and why you decided to stop eating red meat, chicken, ect, but continue to eat fish?

Was it a health-based decision? Moral? Religious?

Replies

• myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    when i was pescatarian it was because i loved fish, its something i could catch and make myself (and have) so i knew what goes into the processing of the fish i was eating, for the most part. i get iffy with meat if i start to think about where it came from or how it got here lol. but for the most part its because i knew i needed the nutritional benefits of eating fish. it really is great for your body, full of omegas, protein, healthy fats!
  • etherealdoll
    Options
    I think most pescatarians do it for health reasons, because I guess fish is super healthy compared to other meats. I don't really understand it though, there seems to be a popular misconception that fish is not an animal, which is just....what.
  • cblevitron
    cblevitron Posts: 243
    Options
    fish aren't cute and lovable.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that does it because any other meat upsets her stomach. Other people do it for health reasons. It's all good. I just get annoyed when pescatarians call themselves vegetarians. Or especially when they say they don't eat animals/meat. Fish is an animal/meat! :grumble:
  • Missanticipated
    Options
    My reason is a little odd but I did it for myself no one else so I don't have to really explain my diet to the rest of the world ( not a rant at OP just everyone seems to want to know why, i dont ask people why they eat meat lol) It's basically because I'm quite squeamish and I was constantly finding gristle bones etc in meat that I was eating. It even became a joke in my house when I was younger that no one else would get the gristle because I always had it. I just got to the point where I was picking through every bit of meat I ate and was no longer enjoying meal times. So I decided to cut it out. The reason I didnt cut out fish is because you expect bones so it wasn't so off putting when I found any bones. I've recently started eating chicken again because I missed it but I'm still very picky with it but I've been pescatarian for 9 years and don't regret it in the slightest!
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    I have a friend that does it because any other meat upsets her stomach. Other people do it for health reasons. It's all good. I just get annoyed when pescatarians call themselves vegetarians. Or especially when they say they don't eat animals/meat. Fish is an animal/meat! :grumble:

I so agree with you. It just muddies the waters so more people don't understand. I was at a work function once and had ordered the vegetarian dinner option. They sat a fish down in front of me. Yikes! I quietly explained to the server that I had the vegetarian dinner. She said that WAS the vegtarian dinner, the other choices were beef or chicken.

My other pet peeve is people who say they are vegetarians but they just have to have a hamburger once in a while. Just my opinion, but to me that means you are not a vegetarian. You are just someome who doesn't eat much meat.